Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My local Tesco letting chuggers in

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

<Snip> me there are some nasty, hateful and, of course, cheap people in the world. If you don't want to contribute to your local club or a charity or whatever, then don't. Just leave them at it, go back <SNIP>

Bigger question. Where oh where is the consumer issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

<SNIP>me there are some nasty, hateful and, of course, cheap people in the world. If you don't want to contribute to your local club or a charity or whatever, then don't. Just leave them at it, go back, <SNIP>

Why should I leave them at it? Its begging. Why should a consumer feel harassed when they are going about their business? I go to Tescos because i want to shop there, not be annoyed or made to feel guilty because i do not want to encourage begging.

It is the likes of people who make post like yours, usually standing behind me in the queue with their mutterings and distasteful looks because I dont want to support begging that makes me hate going to shops that provide a platform for their begging.

Woe betide the next gimp that even mutters a single word or glances in my direction with scorn next time. Im actually going to go out of my way now to utterly humiliate the next do gooder annoying me, or the next beggar in my way. Im going to barge them right away from my till and shout for security to have them removed. I have balls of brass and if raising my voice and shaming people will get public attention on the issue and a meeting with the store manager to voice my rage at them, then so good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Oh such anger at a charity collection. I don't let them pack my bags and give them something if I want to support the particular charity but unbridled anger is uncalled for. Probably just hot air internet warrior ramblings but concerning all the same. I'd hate to think someone collecting for the local Alzheimers centre or Hospice being treated like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - stay civil please. Remember to attack the post, not the poster.

dudara

Tesco have a website.. not sure what it is.. telltesco or something like that? It's always printed on the receipts. Your store has a number on it as a reference code and you can remark to them about experiences there.

Naturally I only ever used it once, and that was to complain about the sheer amount of charity nonsense that was going on in Drogheda's Tesco Extra. It was after a day when my bags were offered to be packed and I was hit with a "sign up for our DD system" sales pitch, within about 10 seconds of each other.

My complaint wasn't actually about them letting charities in, it was more about the amount of people on behalf of the charity. Once you went through a checkout, you were falling over people to get out to the door (and i was just carrying a bag, would dread having a trolley!).

Much to my surprise, Tesco replied and I never seen it that busy again. Still see charity workers the odd time, but much rarer. I'd be confident my complaint had nothing to do with the lack of chugging, but it made me feel like the telltesco thing was actually a worthwhile service. (thats assuming its actually called telltesco.. i think im thinking of 'tellargos'... but it's along those lines anyway).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

Oh such anger at a charity collection. I don't let them pack my bags and give them something if I want to support the particular charity but unbridled anger is uncalled for. Probably just hot air internet warrior ramblings but concerning all the same. I'd hate to think someone collecting for the local Alzheimers centre or Hospice being treated like this.

See nobody minds genuine local charities. Cancer care , elderly issues, stvdepaul, etc. happy to donate. Don't touch my shopping but I'm very happy to donate. But Chloe's Hip Hop dancing club Annual trip to the Hip Hop World Finals is not a charity! That money should be going to a real charity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Tesco Rathmines has Dogs Trust chuggers in today. They have a desk and 'just want to talk to you about what we do'.
    Even if you are clearly trying to avoid them.

aphex™ wrote: »
    Even if you are clearly trying to avoid them.

It's quite easy. You just walk by them.

It's quite easy. You just walk by them.

I'm trying to avoid being communicated to and addressed by them while walking in the opposite direction, or to have to explain I'm not interested in what they have to say, despite it being clear given I haven't gone up to them to discuss their work.

Walking by doesn't avoid that, infact I didn't have to walk by them as I came from another checkout aisle and they still called out to me.

So, why would I turn around and walk by them, thus going back into the shop.
    What would that achieve?

aphex™ wrote: »
    I'm trying to avoid being communicated to and addressed by them while walking in the opposite direction, or to have to explain I'm not interested in what they have to say, despite it being clear given I haven't gone up to them to discuss their work.

Walking by doesn't avoid that, infact I didn't have to walk by them as I came from another checkout aisle and they still called out to me.

So, why would I turn around and walk by them, thus going back into the shop.
    What would that achieve?

You lost me there. I just meant ignore them. It's not difficult. I do it all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭duffman3833

it seems to be different group every day nearly, i go Tesco for lunch most days and i just ignore them as they all look for x amount by dd. Not a chance would i sigh up for anything like that. But i feel your annoyance. Very annoying them trying to stop you. Worst thing about them in my local Tesco is there is no way of avoiding them as they are at the exit and once you go through the checkouts there is a small area you walk down to the exit and there waiting there nearly every day.

You lost me there. I just meant ignore them. It's not difficult. I do it all the time.

It's part of their tactic to sound insulted/upset/make sounds when you ignore them.

The reality is they take pleasure in deliberately interacting with people who are clearly trying to ignore them. This is not acceptable.

EDIT: Just got this at the front door.

THem: Hello I'm here to talk to you about.... [clearly chugger]
    Me: I don't donate to charity.
    Them: [Opens porch door wide] OK but let me tell you about our latest campaign [proceeds to show me pictures of people with cancerous eyes]
    Me: I just said I don't donate to charity.
    Them: Ok.
    Door closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭orionm_73

I find the easiest tactic is just to say you're already signed up to whatever charity it is.

orionm_73 wrote: »
    I find the easiest tactic is just to say you're already signed up to whatever charity it is.

Why should you have to come up with a 'tactic' to avoid these people. In Tesco. Where you're spending money, with the assumption you're not going to have people calling after you as you walk away.

Advertisement