Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pond plants smaller irisies

Options
  • 04-08-2015 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

Hi does anyone know where I can find somewhere other than Johnstown garden centre where I can buy smaller varieties of pond iris,JGC is a great place for pond plants but the yellow flowered iris I bought from there 2 years ago is growing to over 5 ft in height and to big for my pond.The gales knocked the plant over last night because of its massive leafy spread and being planted in a pot which made it top heavy,strange thing though the yellow flowers were very small,cheers..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Pond Hobby is worth a try, have a look at their website for contact details and map to find your way there.
    http://www.pondhobby.ie/

It's years since I was there, got all my pond stuff, liner, underlay, etc., there, and a few starter plants, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭damon5

Hi thanks for reply,was there last year and there was only roughly a square metre of pond plants which wearnt in the best condition compared to JGC,s variety and lush plants.Was only down JGC Saturday buying air plants,maybe I will ask them can they get smaller pond irisies in,in the mean time if anyone else has any other options it would be appreciated,thanks again for reply..

Newlands Garden Centre have a *small* section of water plants, just the regular ones and I don't know if they'd order something specific for you.

As an aside, they have stopped stocking air plants. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was in johnstown months back - maybe just after easter, and they had maybe three square metres of pond plants.
    pond hobby had a paperwork nightmare in importing their stock of plants, afaik, but i can attest they've made up in style. we were there a month or two back and they had a huge stock, dozens and dozens of varieties of plants; the problem was too much choice rather than too little.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

It's getting a little late for a decent range in many places. Most garden centres get them from Dutch or English suppliers without any problems or additional paperwork , although getting a nice range can be an issue. Perhaps others import them from further afield and have issues, as some of these plants are pretty invasive ...

Most pond Irises are quite vigorous, especially that wild yellow one. I have three Iris ensata varieties in my pond and they're fairly well behaved. You can often find them in the perennial section of garden centres too, so look there.

• Advertisement

lk67 wrote: »
    Most pond Irises are quite vigorous, especially that wild yellow one....
    Totally agree!
    Had to hawk out an entire bunch of them earlier this year, a bunch that started off as just ONE about 5 years ago. They're great in a big pond, 2 or 3 together in my small garden pond is about the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭damon5

Thanks for all replies,some food for thought there.Will look into pond hobby again if its not getting a bit late in the season,cheers...

Advertisement