Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beaches

Options
  • 04-08-2015 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

What beaches are closest to us here in Kildare. where do people go when they want to get some sea air. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,854 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Depends on which end of the county. Maynooth/Leixlip end it'd be Dollymount/Sandymount, further down you'd go across to Brittas or similar.

I work in East Wall so I get sea air every day and at worst get the odd urge for some chips...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

For athy / kildare town, probably Tramore is an option as it's about an hour and a bit away.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Beer Assistant

Portmarnock, Donabate or up further Bettystown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

I think Bettystown/laytown is the best spot but that could be because i use to camp there in the late 80's early 90s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Donabate definitely easiest to get to from North Kildare - M4, M50, M1, Donabate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭lilydonoghue

its from Naas - I should have said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Brittas bay is nice. When we go we come back via the mountains and stop in to glendalough for a bit, time permitting.

how long does it take you to drive to brittas bay? do you know if you are allowed to bring your dog to that beach?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

how long does it take you to drive to brittas bay? do you know if you are allowed to bring your dog to that beach?

An hour by the m50/n11. I've seen dogs there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

You can bring your dog to any beach - they are public areas. The same laws apply as anywhere else - effective control, fouling etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

its from Naas - I should have said

Huge choice then and with Newlands cross overpassed, makes the Dublin/Wicklow beaches easy enough to go to.

Brittas is probably too far and can get very crowded as not many sandy beaches south Dublin/North Wicklow.

Best option is probably North Dublin - Portmarnock, Skerries, Loughshinny, Donabate, Portrane, all quite close to each other and about an hours drive or less from Naas.

Only drawback is M50 Toll and remembering to pay it if you don;t have a tag

Thank you everybody - you have been very helpful with beaches and dog advice. Much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Just remembered this thread, we have been to the shore of the blessington lakes a couple of times this summer. Specifically accessed through the Avon ri in blessington. While it's not a long sandy beach, it's still nice to get close to the water and dip your feet or have a picnic. Views across the lakes are amazing. 20 mins from Naas means it's a short drive.

Advertisement