Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about SIM cards and phones.

Options
  • 04-08-2015 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

At the moment I have one of these babies with a vodafone SIM on prepay.

I'm thinking about getting a smartphone, but had a few questions I was hoping I could get help with.

Firstly, I've got home broadband and an ipad, so the phone won't be used all that much - I'll use a laptop and ipad for email and other stuff like social media.

My sister has a Galaxy Trend Plus which looks like it meets my basic needs and it seems like I could go to Tesco right now and come back with one for 60 euros. Not a contract, just the phone.

My question, though, is about SIM compatability. Can I simply stick my vodafone SIM into the Galaxy Trend Plus and just carry on? Or, if that SIM is too old, can I just get it upgraded to something compatible with the new phone and carry on?

If I decide to switch from prepay to a SIM only contract in the future, will I need to get a new SIM from whatever provider (emobile, tesco, whoever - I guess I wouldn't need to change if I got a contract with vodafone)? How easy is it to do that? Can I keep my current number if I switch to a new provider?

If I get my new SIM card for my SIM only contract and later want to change provider/stop the contract, is the phone now 'locked' in with the earlier provider?

Forgive the newbie questions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

A VF sim won't work in a tesco phone, unless you get the phone unlocked which is complicated and not always possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

danjo-xx wrote: »
    A VF sim won't work in a tesco phone, unless you get the phone unlocked which is complicated and not always possible.
    So any phone bought in Tesco is already locked, even if a person just buys the phone and not a contract?

What if I buy the phone in carphone warehouse?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

osarusan wrote: »
    So any phone bought in Tesco is already locked, even if a person just buys the phone and not a contract?

What if I buy the phone in carphone warehouse?

Wont matter it will still be locked to a network. You can buy 'unlocked' phones on ebay or amazon but they will be a bit dearer than the ones in the phone shops. But you can use any network sim with them then.

Or you could look for a phone that suits you from VF if your happy with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

ARgos sell a middling range of SIM free phones some you might need a different sized sim for though, but you should be able to get this for free in any vodafone shop.

Advertisement