Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr. Dre set to release new album 'Compton' this week

• 04-08-2015 11:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭AG918

Surprised there's been no mention of the news here yet but Dr. Dre is releasing a new album entitled 'Compton' later this week. He referred to it as his final album and also explained why he chose not to release Detox.
    The rumors are true: Dr. Dre will release a new album in the near future. The rapper took to his Beats 1 radio show The Pharmacy to confirm reports of a Straight Outta Compton soundtrack produced by Dre as well as additional details regarding Dre's first LP since 1999's 2001. During Saturday's "Countdown to Compton" episode, Dre revealed that Compton: A Soundtrack will arrive on August 7th exclusively on iTunes and Apple Music. Eminem, Kendrick Lamar, Ice Cube, Snoop Dogg, the Game and many more will feature on the 16-track LP, which can be preordered here.

"During principal photography, I felt myself going to the studio and being so inspired by the movie that I started recording an album," Dre said on The Pharmacy. "I kept it under wraps, and now the album is finished. It's bananas. It's an 'inspired by' album. It's inspired by Straight Outta Compton, we're gonna call the album Compton: The Soundtrack. I'm really proud of this." Dre also called the album his "grand finale."

Dre also revealed why he never released his long-delayed Detox: "It just wasn't good." "This is something you're not gonna hear many artists say. The reason Detox didn't come out was because I didn't like it. It wasn't good," Dre admitted. "I'm gonna keep it all the way one-thousand with you, seriously. I worked my ass off on it, I don't think I did a good enough job, and I couldn't do that to my fans and I couldn't do that to myself, to be perfectly honest with you. I just wasn't feeling it."

On The Pharmacy, Dre was joined by Ice Cube and Straight Outta Compton director F. Gary Gray to discuss the N.W.A biopic and its much-anticipated soundtrack.

During the episode, Cube and Dre reminisced about first meeting in high school in 1983 or 1984 ("You're showing our age," Dre quipped) and how they bonded over their "mutual love of hip-hop." "It just grew from there into this crazy, life-changing relationship," Dre said of his friendship with Ice Cube. The N.W.A pair also talked about growing up in Compton and the biopic itself.

Ice Cube appeared on Philadelphia's Power 99 Wednesday morning and let slip the news about Dre's Straight Outta Compton soundtrack. While Cube gave an August 1st release date for the album, multiple sources told Rolling Stone that the album will be released at a later date than Saturday, which is ultimately when Dre confirmed the record. "It's mega. It's Dr. Dre, it's what everybody’s been waiting for," Ice Cube told the Rise & Grind Morning Show. "It's definitely a dope record, and he's dropping it all on the same day."

During a March 2015 radio interview, Dre first revealed that he was working on a soundtrack for Straight Outta Compton. "I'm working on something right now. I don't want to put it out there just yet and say that I'm definitely gonna put it out. But I'm really feeling what I'm working on right now," Dre said. "This would be a record that's inspired by the movie."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/dr-dre-details-his-long-awaited-compton-the-soundtrack-20150801

1. "Intro"
    2. "Talk About It" (featuring King Mez & Justus)
    3. "Genocide" (featuring Kendrick Lamar, Marsha Ambrosius & Candice Pillay)
    4. "It's All on Me" (featuring Justus and BJ the Chicago Kid)
    5. "All in a Day's Work" (featuring Anderson Paak and Marsha Ambrosius)
    6. "Darkside/Gone" (featuring King Mez, Marsha Ambrosius and Kendrick Lamar)
    7. "Loose Cannons" (featuring Xzibit and Cold 187um)
    8. "Issues" (featuring Ice Cube and Anderson Paak)
    9. "Deep Water" (featuring Kendrick Lamar and Justus)
    10. "One Shot One Kill" (performed by Jon Connor featuring Snoop Dogg)
    11. "Just Another Day" (performed by The Game featuring Asia Bryant)
    12. "For the Love of Money" (featuring Jill Scott and Jon Connor)
    13. "Satisfiction" (featuring Snoop Dogg, Marsha Ambrosius and King Mez)
    14. "Animals" (featuring Anderson Paak)
    15. "Medicine Man" (featuring Eminem, Candice Pillay and Anderson Paak)
    16. "Talking To My Diary"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,784 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

The movie "Straight out of Compton" is also due for release this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭melted_face

its being streamed on beats 1 radio station thursday at 2am irish time for any die hards altho from what ive heard of beats 1 , they only do clean versions . ugh .

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DermoMIO

its being streamed on beats 1 radio station thursday at 2am irish time for any die hards altho from what ive heard of beats 1 , they only do clean versions . ugh .

from what I've read it'll be played in its entirety "explicit"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭me and the biz

Looking forward to it! Probably a good few years too late in terms of hype. Which may be why he's releasing something now without the pressure or expectation

Hopefully it lives up to 16 years waiting since 2001!
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2054885969/1 - thread from 2006 discussing it for interests sake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

so other the snoop tune and the last track 'talking to my diary 'its kinda sh!t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I look forward to listening to it at some point but I don't think there's going to be as much fanfare and pressure about this one 'cause it's not Detox and it's not what he's spent the last sixteen years working on. From the sounds of it, it's a completely new album.

Tbh, that's going to lower my expectations of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

peteeeed wrote: »
    so other the snoop tune and the last track 'talking to my diary 'its kinda sh!t

On my first listen through, this is pretty much how I felt too. :(

Edit: Those were the two tracks that stood out. But i'm warming to some others, I'll give it a few more listens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

yeah album is a bit Meh ,
    was kind getting good towards the end , i do like the track Animal with premo ,
    not much else really ,

for such a long wait its bitterly disappointing , i wouldn't even be interested in the instrumentals (should it every be released),

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

It's a great hip hop album, but only an OK Dr Dre album. Love the beat for 'Animals'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

The album is definitely growing on me. Disappointed at first but I'm liking it more now. It's times like this you miss Nate Dogg.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

A phenomenonal album, that's all that needs to be said. Not quite as good as 2001 but not far off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

'Talk About It' what a track :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Its a great album. Some on here are hard to please.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

The production on this album is like nothing I've ever heard before, absolutely class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

^^agreed, the production is excellent. the guests pretty much all bring their A-game too.
    from that point of view, it's great, it's just a pity that there isn't any great songs really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

Deep water!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭AG918

Very surprised to hear that most people here don't like it or are disappointed. I've listened to it 4 or 5 times so far and it gets better each time. The production is excellent, better than I thought it would be and I had very high expectations. I won't tire of this album anytime soon.

album of the year so far anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Sounds fughing amazing. I'm gonna be feeding off this for a long time. Would like it on vinyl though, whats the chances it will get a vinyl release does anyone know?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

buried wrote: »
    Sounds fughing amazing. I'm gonna be feeding off this for a long time. Would like it on vinyl though, whats the chances it will get a vinyl release does anyone know?

I'd say it will defo get a vinyl release, listening to my first play through now, its very good so far....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭me and the biz

What's the story with a spotify release date? Doubt it'll be anytime soon with Apple looking to muscle in on their patch, physical copy release looks like the 21st in the States from what I can see, so Spotify thereabouts as well? Mad annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ilai123

I gotta agree there, the production is insane! I loved this album, one of a kind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Not a big fan after one spin. It's decent...but nothing incredible so far.

Best tracks so far guys? Haven't got a chance to listen to it as of yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I've listened to it twice straight through and a few times on shuffle on the bike and I think it's mediocre at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

You can only buy it in the Apple Store? I diverted off the motorway to Mallow X-tra Vision to try buy it Friday! Heard samples of the tracks on Ivan Yates hopless music review show!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

After spending the weekend listening to this, my opinion has definitely changed. It has really grown on me.

Some of my standout tracks

For the love of money
    Animals
    Talking to my diary
    Talk about it
    Medicine man

to me anyway , it sounds kinda reminiscent of kendrick's new one . nice production that's constantly switching up being the main similarity .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Best tracks so far guys? Haven't got a chance to listen to it as of yet.

'Satisfiction' my favourite at the moment, great samples, funky wonky beats and good real talk about fame and celebrity. 'Medicine man' is another great track too

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

What's the story with a spotify release date? Doubt it'll be anytime soon with Apple looking to muscle in on their patch, physical copy release looks like the 21st in the States from what I can see, so Spotify thereabouts as well? Mad annoying

I doubt a Spotify release will ever happen. My guess is that Apple plans to make sure more and more artists release albums exclusively on Apple Music.

Advertisement