Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€50 off your first solar panel... See T&Cs

Options
  • 05-08-2015 12:31am

I recently measured my Sterling charger on float service. 40W input, 4W output.
    I tested a 1kW PSU -> PWM solar controller setup also 10% efficiency at float.

I'll try my Victron charger later and see how that does.

Anyways they've all been reprimanded for crapness and sentenced to reboxing pending emergency re-instatement.

So if it costs me 960W per day to get a mains charger to float charge a battery supplied from the national grid. That's €57 per year for 35kWh in the battery or €5.70 worth of electrochemistry.

Terms and conditions:
    • Offer subject to retiring your mains charger from float service in favour of solar.
    • €50 discount is a recurring scheme payable every year from date of installation.
    • Results may vary, for accurate figures use an AC wattmeter on the mains side of the charger and note when it reaches float stage. Most Good chargers float at 13.4V > 13.8V with +300mA.
    • Offer ends if you park in the shade.
    • Panel must be of an adequate size to accommodate parasitic loads.

Comments

Victron IP65 1215

Float service:
    16W in
    158mW out

1% efficient :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Victron IP65 1215

Float service:
    16W in
    158mW out

1% efficient :rolleyes:

1% efficient at what duty cycle 1-2%? thats normal - at low duty cycles switching losses dominate.
    Having said that there are techniques such as involve pulsing the inductor at a higher current that vastly improve on that - linear and texas have integrated circuits to implement it, but you didn't pay for that :-p

1% efficient at what duty cycle?

0.075%

Advertisement