Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

infraction for questioning a mod

Options
  • 05-08-2015 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

I received this message this evening:
    Dear Brian Lighthouse,

You have been infracted for ignoring a moderator's instructions.

Discussion can become heated, we don't object to that, but when a moderator issues a warning on a thread to reign things in, it stops a heated discussion from turning into a mess.

For more information please refer to the Boards.ie FAQ.

If you wish to appeal this infraction you can see details on how to do so here.

The_Conductor

Moderator Note

You were expressly warned no more mention of 'leave it be'. It is not the case that you can have your own opinion on this. There are specific rules, regulations, child protection and insurance issues. It is nothing whatsoever to do with your opinion.

Your post:
    athtrasna wrote: »
    Please no more "leave it be" advice. It has already been established that the tenant is operating illegally without at least planning permission and rates paid, leaving the OP massively exposed.

Mod

I see your point, but I don't see where it has been established that the tenant is operating illegally just yet.
    Just my opinion on reading all the posts.

I replied with this:
    Hello The Conductor,
    I don't see why I have received an infraction in this instance. The moderator claimed that it was clear that the person was operating illegally, however, that had not been established whatsoever.
    I will appeal this decision of yours.
    I feel that I have acted correctly in replying to that comment from the moderator Athrasna. It is evident from the comments posted previous to mine that it had not been established that the tenant was operating illegally. Hence I offered my advice that the OP should contact the tenant first and allow her the right to reply to any suggestion that she was operating a school/creche etc on the OP's property.
    TWO PARAGRAPHS REDACTED BY ME HERE
    I feel in that in this particular case the moderator and yourself had acted prematurely in declaring that there was an illegal business operating from a rented accommodation as you have decided this on the Sunday of a bank holiday weekend. The OP had stated that they will attempt to discover more on the Tuesday when regular business re-opens. There is also any facts that may surround the letting agency who have dealt with this tenant to be considered, but alas, the thread was closed on the Sunday evening by yourself.
    Again, leaving no time for the OP to reply, or for any facts to have been assembled.
    I feel that the moderator athrasna and yourself have not acted negatively towards the functioning of the platform, however, you have acted in haste and not allowed all the facts to be assembled and presented to all.
    Now, why have you issued this infraction after a post was posted by Stheno #46 where it clearly outlined that in some instances planning permission may not required for some situations remains unclear to me.
    Anyway, as pointed out earlier, I will appeal this infraction.
    Thank you for your message.
    Regards
    Brian

Looking forward to your reply.
    Brian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

OK OP

this is a very straightforward DRP.
    Many forums have a do not argue with the mod rule, instead you are instructed to take it to PM as arguing with a mod on thread only serves to pull a topic off topic.
    From the A&P charter
    Questioning a mod action in a thread is considered off topic and unhelpful posting and may result in a ban from the forum.

The mod may or may not have been correct in their warning - but that is beside the point. You NEVER ever argue with a mod on thread. You just don't.

Infraction upheld.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

The mod may or may not have been correct in their warning - but that is beside the point. -

Really? whether they are right or wrong it is irrelevant?

You NEVER ever argue with a mod on thread. You just don't.

That's fair enough, but where is the transparency in any discussion with a mod through a PM?

Infraction upheld.

I suppose, it's your ball.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement