Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Gaming Pc

Options
  • 05-08-2015 3:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hey guys, so this my first gaming pc as the title suggested. I wanted to know if there is something wrong with the build or if it needs any improvement.

-CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
    -CPU Cooler: Cooler Master GeminII S524 Ver2
    -Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO
    -Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory
    -Storage: (Samsung 850 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive + Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive)

-Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+
    -Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
    -Power Supply:Corsair CX 500W

All parts are bought from (amazon US), with an exception to the motherboard and the case (overclockers).

So please guy tell me what you think.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Dixter wrote: »
    Hey guys, so this my first gaming pc as the title suggested. I wanted to know if there is something wrong with the build or if it needs any improvement.

-CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
    -CPU Cooler: Cooler Master GeminII S524 Ver2
    -Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO
    -Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory
    -Storage: (Samsung 850 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive + Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive)

-Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+
    -Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
    -Power Supply:Corsair CX 500W

All parts are bought from (amazon US), with an exception to the motherboard and the case (overclockers).

So please guy tell me what you think.

Motherboard looks a bit overkill. I'd go for a cheaper one and get at least a 256GB SSD, because they fill up fast. You'll want your OS and a few games on it and games these days are 50GB+.

Also I'd go for at least a 600 watt psu, preferably 80+ gold. Something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seasonic-S12G-650-650W-Certified-Silent/dp/B00FW6EIIW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438742114&sr=8-1&keywords=seasonic

Also for the price range on your CPU cooler I'd go with a Hyper 212 evo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Also for your ram go with something low profile as the heat spreaders can get in the way of some CPU coolers. Also the heat spreaders on ram do absolutely nothing.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HyperX-Savage-2400-Memory-Module/dp/B00N9PVXY0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1438742283&sr=8-2&keywords=hyper+x+savage

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dixter

Thanks for your fast reply.
    What would you suggest for the motherboard? A lower Z97 Asus or different brand?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Why from Amazon U.S? Are you living in the states?

No, but I have compared the prices. Amazon UK is bad ( 1pound = 1.43 euros) so it would be more expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

No, but I have compared the prices. Amazon UK is bad ( 1pound = 1.43 euros) so it would be more expensive.

Did you factor in VAT at 23%, import duty (up to 17%) and a handling charge?

Yeah, it is supposed to be calculated at checkout (import fees). I have emailed Amazon and they told me they estimate it and then take what they have to from the amount and refund me the remaining.

Oh nvm, MiskyBoyy and challenge master, I think it would be cheaper if I use Amazon UK. My bad. However, the availability of some of the items is an issue but I guess I can find a way around it. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Have a look at Dabs.ie. With the exchange rate the way it is, I've found they're pretty competitive with Amazon at the moment.

Generally speaking, you could change a lot with your build. Most of the changes have already been suggested by the lads.
    Lower end board. The Z97-A is quite nice, though you obviously loose some features over the Hero, overclocking capability will be largely unchanged.
    Cheaper RAM. It's just capacity here. Other specs really make no difference to anything other than synthetic memory bandwidth benchmarks.
    SSD - Same as RAM. If you run some storage benchmarks you'll see differences, but absolutely nothing noticeable in real-world heavy-duty stuff. The BX100 from Crucial is fantastic value for the capacity you get.
    I'd get something a little higher-end than the CX. Even the CS would be nice. Bear in mind though you pay a lot for the Corsair name these days. Have a look at Seasonic, Be Quiet, and Enermax. All top quality brands. Seasonic in particular actually make their PSUs, unlike Corsair and many others who simply design or rebrand other units.
    That CPU cooler might also cause you some problem with RAM, maybe look into something from Noctua. They're expensive, but you get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

Regarding the SSD,
    The way i did it was put the OS on a 60gig ssd and get a 250gig ssd for games. might be different now but when i got was shopping for SSD'S there was a big jump up from the 60-250gig to 500gig ssd's
    also it's just nice to have a dedicated ssd for games and a ssd for the OS imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Pretty much everything is said above, I too prefer two SSDs, I'd get a minimum of 120gb for the OS though.

Need in an i7 OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Oh yeah, good point. Missed the i7. For games you won't need anything more than a 4690K for years.

I use this to get a rough idea if something is cheaper on 1 of the other European Amazons: https://www.curiua.com/

Then I assume you know about Parcel Motel and Parcel Connect which could save you a few €€ :)

Thanks for the help guys, I will definitely change the motherboard, ram, and power supply.
    Tbh I didn't know what I was looking for when it comes to the power supply and the fan. For the i7 part, I do a bit of digital art and editing so I would keep it if it would make a difference at this point.

It'll probably stand to you then. A Xeon or non-k i7 might save you a few bob if you wanted either

Ok, so one of the problems that I am facing is getting this i7 chip for a reasonable price. I have searched a few websites, and I have come across this bundle in Dabs.ie.......

I cannot post a link, it is called (Asus Intel Ultimate Bundle (Includes MAXIMUS VII RANGER, Core i7-4790K, 8GB Vengeance Pro Memory))

Do you think it is worth it?

AFAIK thats a fairly good board, but the i7, with a cheaper Z97 and 8gb ram can be easily picked up for less than 500

Yeah, I have seen this, they don't ship to Ireland. That is why I considered the bundle.

Yeah, I have seen this, they don't ship to Ireland. That is why I considered the bundle.

You can order stuff from Amazon.de that don't ship to Ireland but do ship to the UK by using a virtual address & parcel forwarding system Parcel Motel: http://www.parcelmotel.com/prices/

It only costs €3.95 per parcel. Well worth it.

There is also https://www.parcelconnect.ie/ which also gives you a virtual UK address but has more collection options usually local shops.

• Advertisement

Which component?

Might ship to UK with Parcel Motel. Try mind factory. De otherwise

Oh thanks guys, this is really helpful.

Advertisement