Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

return but no receipt

Options
  • 05-08-2015 7:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

I heard a guy on the radio yest say that you don't need a receipt to retun an item if you bought by card. I bought a phone by credit card but can't find the receipt. can I actually return it? How do I prove I bought it Does the shop know by swiping my card or something? Is it similar to when the shop refunds you on the card instead of with cash? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

I presume you listened to the full interview yesterday.

If you are simply changing your mind, you have no entitlement whatsoever to return a product for exchange or refund.

Where the item has a verifiable fault, you may return for repair replacement or refund. In this case, a copy of your credit card statement would be sufficient "proof of purchase"

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

delahuntv wrote: »
    I presume you listened to the full interview yesterday.

If you are simply changing your mind, you have no entitlement whatsoever to return a product for exchange or refund.

To be clear, in such a case, you have no legal entitlement to a repair, replacement or refund. However, most shops will refund, but their conditions do often mention production of a valid receipt. Whether or not they will accept a credit card statement is another story and entirely at the shop's discretion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Those shop specific terms may also stipulate the presence of a receipt.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Those shop specific terms may also stipulate the presence of a receipt.

For Faulty Goods:

The shop is entitled to request proof of purchase, but this doesn't necessarily have to be the shop receipt. You could show your credit or debit card statement if you used one or any other documentation that proves it was purchased in that particular shop or retail chain. Source: http://www.consumerhelp.ie/faulty-goods#sthash.KGSmZJ1a.dpuf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Of course you are absolutely right in the case of a faulty item, I was referring to a change of mind such as the post before mine, but I didn't make that clear.

Advertisement