Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UK graduate thrown out of gay club after "triggering" Blurred Lines is played

Comments

Kev W wrote: »
    Complete consistency in fact. Since it's impossible for a living person to be Napoleon Bonaparte as he is dead, the fact of Bonaparte's death is sufficient proof that anyone claiming to be him is at the very least lying or delusional.

So where is your credible evidence for non-binary or are you ignoring my post because you know you can't find any?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

rizzodun wrote: »
    So because I think having 20 different names for gender neutral or transgender is a load of bull I'm a homophobe now?

If people want to define themselves not on their birth gender they're more than welcome, more power to them and if it were my kid they'd be fully supported, but waffling on about non-binary and having a load of different names for it sounds like a load of bollock hipster "you don't understand what it's like" talk if you ask me.

Half the problem with today's generation, "How dare you define me as male or female based on my genitals! I cannot be defined, but I use these 20 buzz words instead!"

I was exagerrating for effect, I didn't call you anything. Incidentally the idea is not to have "20 different names for gender neutral or transgender" but to identify that sexuality is a spectrum and that people exist who are on different points in that spectrum and deserve to have their existence recognised.

I take a live and let live approach, and I suspect I am terribly ignorant of gender thoery, but couldn't all this be solved if we just stopped expecting certain norms of genders?

If you look like you probably have female sex characteristics, I'm going to use female pronouns. That doesn't mean I expect you to wear a dress, or be attracted to me, or perform any 'traditional' female roles whatever. It is solely a reference to your sex characteristics, and nothing else.

There's something mildly sexist about "identifying" as female or male beyond wanting to change your anatomical sex characteristics, the latter of which is obviously fine.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I find the concept of psychological gender troubling. I'm a straight man but I have a feminine side, sometimes just for devilment, sometimes because bubble baths are comfortable dammit.

I find it is (admirably well-read) gender theorists who are most insistent on putting happy, well-adjusted people like me into strictly-ordered boxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

...it's understandable that someone who had been raped would have a bad reaction to that song, especially if their (that wasn't hard) rapist had used the exact phrase from the song.

"That wasn't hard" ?

You're missing the point: how the fcuk would the staff know what Georgia wanted to be identified as?? It's not about it being easy or difficult. It's about not having psychic abilities.
    I think by showing the DJ the note they just wanted to make a point about a pretty vile yet catchy song, to make people aware of how awful it is and maybe consider that when they think about playing it in public (maybe not too surprising if they're a recent graduate fresh enough from the campus environment).

lol. She just wanted to make a point?? In the middle of a DJ's set?? He's working ffs!! Write a letter c/o of the club the next day. You don't start whinging to DJs about how songs remind you of being raped. What absolute entitled nonsense.
    Why they might expect the DJ to use the desired pronouns is beyond me, but equally beyond me is anyone defending the DJ's response.

The DJ's response was spot on. They (both of them, not just Georgia - yeah, this is real "easy") deserved to be told to fcuk off.
    Someone tells you the song has upset them as it reminds them strongly of a rape they've suffered and you say “**** off you silly bitch” rather than "sorry, I didn't know it would affect someone, I just play it as a catchy song??" Grade A a**hole.

Can you read? They said: "I don’t want to hear this s***" to the DJ. They (Georgia, not both of them) were obnoxious and rude.

Also, Georgia is professional victim. Here's one of her recent tweets were she was causing trouble at another club:

https://twitter.com/GeorgiaG92/status/595226148675649536

Oh, and they told her to fcuk off as well.

So where is your credible evidence for non-binary or are you ignoring my post because you know you can't find any?

You claimed it as a delusion first, where's your own evidence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

It is not a simple case of there is proof or there is none. It's a non binary argument.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Precious snowflakes need a reality check. People like this are as anti-science as it gets.

Bambi wrote: »
    One a more serious note, how deeply f**ked up is it to refer to someone who raped you as "my rapist" :confused:

Not at all.

You claimed it as a delusion first, where's your own evidence?

You're talking to the wrong person. I didn't. I called it ridiculous. It is ridiculous.

I don't need evidence to prove this.

Now.. Where's yours?

hairyslug wrote: »

I'll be honest I'm not that up to date on all these pronouns, was never very good at grammar but if you are not told directly, how do you know what pronoun to use when addressing someone.

Ask.

• Advertisement

You're talking to the wrong person. I didn't. I called it ridiculous. It is ridiculous.

I don't need evidence to prove this.

Now.. Where's yours?

Now that's ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I was exagerrating for effect, I didn't call you anything. Incidentally the idea is not to have "20 different names for gender neutral or transgender" but to identify that sexuality is a spectrum and that people exist who are on different points in that spectrum and deserve to have their existence recognised.

Is sexuality a spectrum?

Now that's ridiculous.

Backpedale away, but at least own up to the fact that you can't find any other credible research.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

kneemos wrote: »
    Is sexuality a spectrum?

i always thought sexuality was a spectrum from straight to gay. not sure what transgender has to do with it.

Backpedale away, but at least own up to the fact that you can't find any other credible research.

Fine, here you go.

http://www.meduniwien.ac.at/homepage/1/news-and-topstories/?tx_ttnews%5btt_news%5d=5379&cHash=37835742aa84acd6b6b2505337c854dd

Your turn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Georgia added: “Or at least it should be announced before it’s played from now on, so at least people can leave.”

Is she having a laugh. I'm sure there are people out there traumatised by nursery rhymes, should we ban them as well. Silly individual.

Ask.

I have tried to stay neutral but that is sheer fcuking nonsense. Am i/we supposed to ask everyone we meet whether they should be addressed as you, we, she, he, it? Bullsh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Is sexuality a spectrum?

A rainbow.

galljga1 wrote: »
    I have tried to stay neutral but that is sheer fcuking nonsense. Am i/we supposed to ask everyone we meet whether they should be addressed as you, we, she, he, it? Bullsh1t.

If it's not obvious when meeting, the phrase "what's your pronoun preference?" works.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Let me get this straight....

She wants a song banned cause she effectively doesn't like it?

Wait till she hears Smack my bitch up by the prodigy....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I find if someone has a join date less than 6 months old it's best not to engage, they probably won't be around for long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

wait til she hears the mentors entire back catalogue

It's just a fun song about how consent is optional!

If it's not obvious when meeting, the phrase "what's your pronoun preference?" works.

Give over man/woman. If she looks like a woman, I will address her as a woman. Mistakes may be made, but in general less offence will be given than asking everyone we meet whether they identify as male, female or whatever. Or do we have to do a Mick Dundee?

What sort of world would you need to inhabit for that to be OK?

• Advertisement

do you think DJs should not be allowed play it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Could be worse. Smack my *insert desired gender/label here*

that'd be truly horific

What sort of world would you need to inhabit for that to be OK?

This one.

Dont ever stop listening to RTE radio 1 Kev. I dont think music suits you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭QuinDixie

Are her actions the very definition of a Social Justice Warrior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

you're taking the pi$$ aren't you?

lads tell me he's taking the pi$$...

do you think DJs should not be allowed play it?

Personally I don't know why anyone would want to but I wouldn't want it banned as I don't believe banning things really helps. Letting it exist and allowing people to have their say about it is a better solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

QuinDixie wrote: »
    You could argue it given that she's trying to use issues for attention rather than coming up with solutions to problems she thinks exist

Dont ever stop listening to RTE radio 1 Kev. I dont think music suits you.

Not liking "Blurred Lines" is an indicator of not liking music?

QuinDixie wrote: »

Not sure. I thought SJWs were those who supported the outraged and easily offended.

Tombi! wrote: »
    You could argue it given that she's trying to use issues for attention rather than coming up with solutions to problems she thinks exist

You could argue that if you knew for a fact that was the case but that's just speculation on your part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Possibly the silliest thing i have read on boards.

you're taking the pi$$ aren't you?

lads tell me he's taking the pi$$...

Steady . He's 80% joking.

Greetings fellow homo sapien what is your desired label at the moment?

Personally I don't know why anyone would want to but I wouldn't want it banned as I don't believe banning things really helps. Letting it exist and allowing people to have their say about it is a better solution.

totally agree. people should be allowed have their say about it. and the people they direct that opinion at should be free to respond with their own opinion. even if that opinion is "f*ck off and stop annoying me".

• Advertisement

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Possibly the silliest thing i have read on boards.

I feel sorry for you if the idea of politeness seems silly to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

This is classic attention seeking.

That article is for transgender people. She identifies as non-binary, not transgender. Are they one in the same? To me, she seems to think they're not, otherwise she would have identified herself as such.

My evidence that it's ridiculous? How do you prove a personal opinion as opposed to something put forward as proof?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

No, that's the meaning certain groups pushing an agenda have assigned to it. I'm pretty sure the writer has never come out and said its a rapey song. But hey, why let that get in the way of an outrage opportunity...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

Are you for real?

The irony, wow.

You're talking about non binary and then complain about "blurred lines" when all you have been doing is defending "blurred lines of another kind.

Sexuality has always been a dance of codes. All pleasures are perilous.

totally agree. people should be allowed have their say about it. and the people they direct that opinion at should be free to respond with their own opinion. even if that opinion is "f*ck off and stop annoying me".

Yes, exactly! And then others are free to make a judgement on that opinion, even if that opinion is "you're being a prick!"

Personally, I think Blurred Lines is one of the best pop songs of this decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

strelok wrote: »
    for example, my gender is an xbox 360 controller. my preferred pronouns are triangle, square and circle. don't you dare tell me how to live my life.

Aren't circle, square and triangle digital buttons (and hence representable through binary)?

zeffabelli wrote: »
    Are you for real?

The irony, wow.

You're talking about non binary and then complain about "blurred lines" when all you have been doing is defending "blurred lines of another kind.

Sexuality has always been a dance of codes. All pleasures are perilous.

Not quite, Alanis.

What "blurred lines" am I defending? If anything I'm on the side of clarity.

• Advertisement

Well if you are that sensitive then 90% of rap/hip hop is a no-no. A fair few of those poppy American gits aswell can have dodgy undertones mate. Just an idea to avoid your moral outrage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement