Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UK graduate thrown out of gay club after "triggering" Blurred Lines is played

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Pretty much, it's like a parent putting their kid on a school rugby team and then writing a letter to the school saying "Now now, there'll be no more of this dangerous "scrummage" business, and if you think there'll be any more mauling while my kid is on your team, think again! DO YOU WANT ME TO ENGAGE THE TWITTERATI TO F*CK YOU UP, YOU ASSHOLES?!" :D

So you consider getting verbally abused over a microphone to be standard behaviour for club staff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Kev W wrote: »
    So you consider getting verbally abused over a microphone to be standard behaviour for club staff?

i think everybody would agree it was quite rude but they tried to turn it into a gender issue when it clearly wasnt.

i think everybody would agree it was quite rude but they tried to turn it into a gender issue when it clearly wasnt.

No they didn't. It got turned into a gender issue here but the main issue originally was the verbal abuse from the DJ. The gender pronoun issue was just the icing on the cake.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

Can you see my posts?

Oh yes, clear as day, thank you.

No they didn't. It got turned into a gender issue here but the main issue originally was the verbal abuse from the DJ. The gender pronoun issue was just the icing on the cake.

Have you read Georgia's tweets?
    She posted a conversation between herself and the club manager / promoter on her twitter

I can't link, but it's from the 4th of May.
    @GeorgiaG92

There's 5/6 screenshots of their messages.
    Read them, and figure it out yourself. Incredible stuff really.

The conversation is quite revealing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

As the OP, I can probably answer this. On Twitter I follow a Daily Telegraph columnist called Martin Daubney, who tweeted a link to this story earlier. I thought it was interesting and wanted to see what people thought about it. It definitely seems to be a real story - users here have linked to the complainant's Twitter and Facebook pages.

In the past few hours the story has been picked up by Yahoo and the Daily Mirror, and the complainant has said they have been interviewed by BBC Radio. It's an interesting story and clearly there's interest in the story and possible follow-up from the club/DJ.
    I think the DM has retracted it, as the link they had is gone.

A for the twitter feed, pretty much as I expected, this guy has a hard-on for gender topics and bashing anything even remotely attributable to feminsm:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/journalists/martin-daubney/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭smoking_kills

Do you consider telling the DJ not to play a song because it upsets you standard behavior for clubbers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

It was turned into a gender issue well before it arrived here by the two that were refused re-entry to the club.

With or without provocation? If you go up to a DJ and give out to him for something, absolutely I could see it. Know any choirboy DJ's who clock off early cause they got church in the morning?

Not justifying his behaviour, he could just as easily have said nothing, but there's actual messed up stuff happening in the world right now that we can be angry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BlimpyBoy

I just had a look through her recent Facebook history and now I think I have leprosy.

• Advertisement

the dj told them to f*ck off. Lets not go overboard. it was rude. so what. I dont go creating blog posts every time somebody tells me to f*ck off. i wouldnt have the time.

Have you read Georgia's tweets?

The conversation is quite revealing.

It's a conversation about a completely different incident, I don't see how it can reveal that much about this one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 ISIS are sound

How the hell can you be 'triggered' by a song anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

I don't doubt at all that they came across as obnoxious. Maybe they're both obnoxious people in general. But I still don't understand someone saying “**** off you silly bitch” over a microphone to a professed upset rape victim.

It's a popular song and expecting a DJ not to play it and being so rude as she did so, was silly. Maybe how she reacted after being told no was what drew the 'bitch' remark.
    And maybe Georgia is a pain in the ass, and maybe they do look for things to complain about (there are a few people like that, though their number is often vastly exaggerated), but I still think the DJ was out of order.
    I don't think anyone comes out of this story well, but I think I can understand Georgia more (young person, doesn't conform to social norms, fresh out of college and wants to make a sociopolitical point due to a combination of genuine pain, idealism and vanity [maybe, I don't know them well enough]), than I do the DJ (d*ck).

In my view, people like Georgia need a short sharp shock in society so that they learn fast that the world doesn't revolve around them and people have a right to listen to whatever music they Goddamn well please, without some stroppy mare telling them they shouldn't because it might offend them. You admit yourself that she is being idealistic, and so why is it that you feel that should be tolerated? Which you must if you think how she was treated was wrong. People like that need to get over themselves. I have a friend that was murdered, should I go to some rap gig and ask the DJ to stop playing songs that glorify gun violence? It's absurd and if I did do something like that, I would fully endorse anyone telling me to fcuk off.

I wouldn't mind but there is nothing wrong with that song. It's harmless. 'You know you want it' is not only the title of many songs, but the line appears in dozens of them. No doubt the same people complaining about it couldn't wait to go and see Christian Grey's foray at the flicks. Blurred lines indeed. Mixed messages more like it and that is ultimately what that song is about. Problem is that we live in an overly politically correct time, for men at least, where almost everything they say is said, or sing, is held under a microscope and categorized as 'rapey' if it at all is expressed in a way which doesn't also implicitly infer that written consent should always be sought before engaging in any or all sexual acts.

It's not so long ago I remember Madonna's song Justify My Love and the lyric 'Poor is the man. Whose pleasures depend. On the permission of another.' Would she have asked the DJ to turn that off had a remix of it came on? I highly doubt it. I really don't know why this Blurred Lines song has got so much hate tbh. There are songs with far worse lyrics. Is it just because it was a hit? If it is, then based on that criteria, I want the following song banned:
    Azealia Banks - '212'

I'm a eat your food up boo, I could bust your 8..

(The "food" here is a clear reference to the male ejaculate and '8 Ball' is well known slang for the head of the male penis)

I'm a do one too, fcuk ya gonna do??

Clear threat of non-consensual sexual assault.

Quite a misandric lyric overall.

(I'm kidding with this last part, obviously).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

the dj told them to f*ck off. Lets not go overboard. it was rude. so what. I dont go creating blog posts every time somebody tells me to f*ck off. i wouldnt have the time.

Fcuk off.

Do you consider telling the DJ not to play a song because it upsets you standard behavior for clubbers?

No, but only because there are few songs that have such a reputation for being upsetting.

Wright wrote: »
    With or without provocation? If you go up to a DJ and give out to him for something, absolutely I could see it. Know any choirboy DJ's who clock off early cause they got church in the morning?

Not justifying his behaviour, he could just as easily have said nothing, but there's actual messed up stuff happening in the world right now that we can be angry about.

And yet here we all are.

It's a popular song and expecting a DJ not to play it and being so rude as she did so, was silly. Maybe how she reacted after being told no was what drew the 'bitch' remark.

Oh for...

SHE DIDN'T DO THAT.

BlimpyBoy wrote: »
    I just had a look through her recent Facebook history and now I think I have leprosy.

Yeah... people like this hurt the struggle of people she associates with (homosexuals/asexuals and victims of assault)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

You'll have to rephrase that, it seems like you're asserting that nobody recognises self-identification, which is not true.
    No. Of course some people recognize self-identification, just as some believe that the moon landings were fake.

So does anyone credible recognize self-identification as a reliable measure? You are, after all, the one defending this practice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Some of these quotes are incredible, both from the complainant and the original DJ. As one of the commenters said, the DJ is there to play music, not give you a hug.

http://thetab.com/uk/leeds/2015/08/03/leeds-grad-claims-kicked-gay-club-complaining-blurred-lines-17684

Leeds grad claims she was kicked out of gay club for complaining about ‘Blurred Lines’

A Leeds graduate claims she was thrown out of a gay club and verbally abused after complaining to the DJ who played Blurred Lines.

Georgia Greenfield, who left Leeds in 2013, was ejected on Tuesday morning from Queen’s Court – Leeds’ main gay club. Georgia, 23, complained to the DJ saying it made her recall being raped.

Georgia wrote a note on a phone to the DJ saying: “‘I know you want it’ are the exact words my rapist said to me before he raped me. I don’t want to hear this ****.” Shockingly, the grad says the DJ called over the microphone: “**** off you silly bitch.”

Georgia says: “I didn’t expect the song to be turned off but I wanted to give the person playing it an impression of its effect.

“I didn’t even expect them to turn it off or to say anything back to me at all. Why would you?”

But Georgia and friend Noah were left shocked when the DJ told Georgia over the microphone to “**** off you silly bitch” as they walked off.

Friend Noah Martin, a French third year who was with Georgia at the club, said: “My initial reaction was disgust, fear and anger. I couldn’t believe it happened in a space that was supposed to be safe – a gay club.”

When they tried to re-enter the club, 23-year old Georgia claims they were told by bouncers the DJ had advised neither her nor her friend were allowed back in the club.

Georgia said: “I was in disbelief that I was being thrown out of a club for telling the DJ I was raped.

“As I was explaining the actual reasons to the bouncers (not to get back in, but because it was ridiculous) the DJ said over the microphone: ‘If you don’t like what I have to say you can **** off somewhere else’. Then as we were walking away he added: ‘There needs to be an electric fence around the DJ booth’.”

Noah lodged a complaint to the management of Queen’s Court and received an email confirming they were aware of the incident.

The email also said: “The incident is currently being fully investigated and a full response will be forwarded to [Georgia] once finalised”.

But Noah and Georgia are still unhappy. Noah said: “The manager didn’t even use the right pronouns for Georgia”.

Georgia identifies as “gender non-conforming” and prefers to use both “she and “they” pronouns, adding: “Noah as far as I know identifies as non-binary”.

When contacted by The Tab, a spokesperson for Queen’s Court said: “An investigation is underway. Due to it being pride weekend, it is taking a bit longer, but I am speaking to the lady in question.”

Georgia now wants disciplinary action to be taken against the DJ, and for Blurred Lines to be banned from the club “because it triggers so many women and people assigned female who go there”.

Georgia added: “Or at least it should be announced before it’s played from now on, so at least people can leave.”
    jesus fcuking christ. its a song. a **** song but a song.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

And yet here we all are.

That's a great argument you've bested me.

Welp, not much to be achieved in this thread. Good luck folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

The DJ was at work, doing a job. You call it verbal abuse, others would call it establishing boundaries.

Tbh if I was a dj in the middle of my set and some crazy bitch came up to me rambling about her 'rape experience' I'd tell her to **** off.

Oh for...

SHE DIDN'T DO THAT.

Yes she did. Here is what she wrote:
    "'I know you want it’ are the exact words my rapist said to me before he raped me. I don’t want to hear this shit.

No. Of course some people recognize self-identification, just as some believe that the moon landings were fake.

So does anyone credible recognize self-identification as a reliable measure? You are, after all, the one defending this practice.

What does "credible" mean to you?

Yes she did:

"'I know you want it’ are the exact words my rapist said to me before he raped me. I don’t want to hear this shit.

Saying she doesn't want to hear it is not the same as telling him he can't play it. The song was already playing FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

"B!tch" is another gendered slur which sjw types deem ok in certain contexts - for example, when describing thin women as "skinny b!tches" in a song which professes to oppose body shaming. :pac:

galljga1 wrote: »
    Fcuk off.

this will be all over the front of the daily mail tomorrow, you mark my words.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

She comes across as a bit of an oddball on twitter. For someone that didn't bother reporting her own rape to the police, she's quick to report on trivial stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

What does "credible" mean to you?
    If you don't know what it means, I suspect the answer is no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Seems its ok to assume gender (and societal norms) when it suits.

Georgia G ‏@GeorgiaG92 9 Jul 2012
    at every staircase travelling through #london a random man has offered to take my suitcase for me. nice to know chivalry still exists

Also, bit presumptuous of her to just assume it was a man and that "he" prefers to be identified as such.

Saying she doesn't want to hear it is not the same as telling him he can't play it. The song was already playing FFS.

Ah come on. :D
    I suppose saying to a flasher "I don't want to see your feckin' willy" isn't, by extension, saying "put your feckin' willy away"? ;)

S/he's requested disciplinary action over this nonsense.

Ah come on. :D
    I suppose saying to a flasher "I don't want to see your feckin' willy" isn't, by extension, saying "put your feckin' willy away"? ;)

So you'd equate playing "Blurred Lines" with indecent exposure?

I wouldn't go so far but you're entitled to your opinion.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

She's not female or male, as gender is a social construct. And yes, that's as stupid as it sounds.

If gender was just a social construct, then people wouldn't be seeking sex changes in the first place. Gender is clearly more innate than that. (and i'm not talking about gender 'roles').
    A lot of what I'm seeing on this thread reads to me as "I don't like or understand there being more than two kinds of sexuality so people who don't fall into that binary don't exist".

Alot of these terms overlap so much -- basically some people don't like labels so they create new ones with more nuance, then when that becomes "mainstream" someone else creates a new term.

For example a person who has no gender;

Agender
    Genderless
    Non-Gendered
    Genderfree

Surely it''s pretty straightforward if a person has no gender identity -- why so many terms?

zeffabelli wrote: »
    S/he's requested disciplinary action over this nonsense.

Over the verbal abuse, not the fact that he continued to play the song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

She For someone that didn't bother reporting her own rape to the police

Wouldn't be surprised to find out she made the whole thing up to garner a bit of attention.

So you'd equate playing "Blurred Lines" with indecent exposure?

I wouldn't go so far but you're entitled to your opinion.

:)

Analogies aren't your strong point, are they? :p
    You must find it awfully boring watching Michael Noonan go one one of his famously analogous rants :D

She comes across as a bit of an oddball on twitter. For someone that didn't bother reporting her own rape to the police, she's quick to report on trivial stuff.

reported for understatement. She tried to have an argument with Richard Dawkins and had her/his ass handed to them.

• Advertisement

If gender was just a social construct, then people wouldn't be seeking sex changes in the first place. Gender is clearly more innate than that. (and i'm not talking about gender 'roles').

Alot of these terms overlap so much -- basically some people don't like labels so they create new ones with more nuance, then when that becomes "mainstream" someone else creates a new term.

For example a person who has no gender;

Agender
    Genderless
    Non-Gendered
    Genderfree

Surely it''s pretty straightforward if a person has no gender identity -- why so many terms?

When a phenomenon is new (or new in the public consciousness), more than one person may try to name it and more than one name may catch on.

Over the verbal abuse, not the fact that he continued to play the song.

Insane. He could counter sue for workplace harrassment.

Again mistaking establishing boundaries for abuse. Which of course calls into question the credibility of his/her perceptions.

I'll get attacked for this, probably, but I think in that case you can separate those who are genuinely conflicted about their gender (or indeed, genuinely transgender and already know that) - and I fully accept that there are many who fit into this category - and those who want to be different, to be special, to stand out. The latter group is the group which will always look for a new label once the original one becomes accepted, because to them it's not actually about gender, it's about "look at me, I'm special".

So the only label which actually applies to them is "hipster". :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

If it's not obvious when meeting, the phrase "what's your pronoun preference?" works.

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Why is an article from the arsehole of the Internet, that is unverifiable and probably fake/heavily-embellished, being amplified like this on Boards?

Because..

It's provocative!
    It gets the people going!!

:pac:

You're talking threw your hat in fairness.

How would the DJ know that when she said she didn't want to 'hear that shit' that she meant in the future, under certain conditions, and with prior notice being given, etc etc, but didn't want him to stop playing it there and then? More to the point in fact, how you know this?

You do know that she has called for the song to be banned at the venue, right? “because it triggers so many women and people assigned female who go there” or “Or at least it should be announced before it’s played from now on, so at least people can leave.”

And despite all this, you're still yet emotively objecting to my daring to say that she expected the DJ not to play the song? Ha.

You know, it's kinda odd that we have transsexuals who are fighting to have their gender recognized and then you have this person fighting to have no gender at all.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Because..

It's provocative!
    It gets the people going!!

:pac:

I feel you might be missing the deeper motivation:
    It gets clicks. And clicks get money. ;)

You know, it's kinda odd that we have transsexuals who are fighting to have their gender recognized and then you have this person fighting to have no gender at all.

No. It isn't.

No. It isn't.

How can you not be a gender?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement