Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UK graduate thrown out of gay club after "triggering" Blurred Lines is played

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

You're talking threw your hat in fairness.

How would the DJ know that when she said she didn't want to 'hear that shit' that she meant in the future, under certain conditions, and with prior notice being given, etc etc, but didn't want him to stop playing it there and then? More to the point in fact, how you know this?

You do know that she has called for the song to be banned at the venue, right? “because it triggers so many women and people assigned female who go there” or “Or at least it should be announced before it’s played from now on, so at least people can leave.”

And despite all this, you're still yet emotively objecting to my daring to say that she expected the DJ not to play the song? Ha.

Well that's what she said and I have no reason to dismiss that. I don't know for a fact that she didn't mean that but you don't know for a fact that she did, yet you seem happy enough to assume so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

I'll get attacked for this, probably, but I think in that case you can separate those who are genuinely conflicted about their gender (or indeed, genuinely transgender and already know that) - and I fully accept that there are many who fit into this category - and those who want to be different, to be special, to stand out. The latter group is the group which will always look for a new label once the original one becomes accepted, because to them it's not actually about gender, it's about "look at me, I'm special".

So the only label which actually applies to them is "hipster". :D

It's become fashionable like being gay in high school is kind of fashionable now.

Even Jenner, I sometimes wonder did he just decide if he can't beat them, join them, and find a way to steal some spotlight living with all those girls.

Kev W wrote: »
    No. It isn't.

Yes it is. Gender isn't some form of identity. Gender is a biological thing. Sure, someone who goes through gender reassignment does move from one to the other and should be recognized as such. But you're not going to be recognized as having no gender at all. That's just stupid. Your genitalia defines what gender you are.

Also someone pointed out that white woman who was living as a black woman and the world kept going on about how she was going through some psychological problems. And yet we more or less have the same thing happening with gender and yet it's being treated totally different.

Why is race unacceptable but gender is?

Non-binary is just some blasted thing that comes from the tumblr generation. Nothing more, nothing less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

zeffabelli wrote: »
    It's become fashionable like being gay in high school is kind of fashionable now.

:rolleyes:
    Even Jenner, I sometimes wonder did he just decide if he can't beat them, join them, and find a way to steal some spotlight living with all those girls.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

"I'm not actually attracted to my own gender but I'll pretend to be so I can be fashionable"

You can't honestly think that's happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I have to ask, and I know I'm out of the loop here, but who IS Jenner? Like, I get that she's a transsexual who's been very vocal and upfront about her surgery, which is great that she feels comfortable enough to do that, but why should I or you know about her as opposed to any of the other many transsexuals in the world? I don't recall the name "Bruce Jenner" ringing any bells as a celebrity before the op?

Is she somehow connected to Kylie Jenner and by extension, the God-awful cult of the Kardashians?

"I'm not actually attracted to my own gender but I'll pretend to be so I can be fashionable"

You can't honestly think that's happening.

Yes it is happening.

Stick your head in the sand if you like but it is.

Is she somehow connected to Kylie Jenner and by extension, the God-awful cult of the Kardashians?

Yup.

Yes it is happening.

I don't want to think about where you've got your head stuck if you believe that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Why is an article from the arsehole of the Internet, that is unverifiable and probably fake..

I posted a Tweet from her earlier. It's not fake.

Here is one she sent the club (the Miss Orry she mentions is the DJ):

https://twitter.com/GeorgiaG92/status/626087070142976000

I have to ask, and I know I'm out of the loop here, but who IS Jenner? Like, I get that she's a transsexual who's been very vocal and upfront about her surgery, which is great that she feels comfortable enough to do that, but why should I or you know about her as opposed to any of the other many transsexuals in the world? I don't recall the name "Bruce Jenner" ringing any bells as a celebrity before the op?

Because it's part of a big money making attention seeking machine.

It's all for show.

Yes it is happening.

You don't even have the remotest shred of evidence to back up that nonsense meanwhile evidence abounds that secondary school remains a very difficult place for LGBT youth. Get real.

Bruce Jenner was an Olympic athlete who took gold in a very high profile decathlon competition against a Soviet competitor. He was then considered a national hero. He parleyed this success into a brand, endorsing cereals etc. fitness equipment and became a highly paid motivational speaker. Later he met Kris Kardashian and married her. She also a sort b-list celebrity she managed to reignite their brand with fitness videos etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 ISIS are sound

He's a very brave 'woman'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

secondary school remains a very difficult place for LGBT youth.
    Yeah, cos it's a cakewalk for everyone else.

Schools can be difficult environments for anyone who doesn't fit in, not just those with a loud lobby group and flag.

• Advertisement

Schools can be difficult environments for anyone who doesn't fit in, not just those with a loud lobby group and flag.

Obviously and no where did I suggest it was(n't). I was the BFG in secondary school. Big Fat Gay. It was worse being fat to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Yes it is happening.

I really doubt that kids are forcing themselves to have romantic contact with a gender they're not attracted to and inviting the full force of schoolyard homophobia to be 'cool'. Not only because if being gay was seen as cool in school then gay teenagers wouldn't have such high suicide rates.

Obviously and no where did I suggest it was(n't). I was the BFG in secondary school. Big Fat Gay. It was worse being fat to be honest.

It's funny that, isn't it?

You do know that you've named yourself after a gay character, right?

It's funny that, isn't it?

Which part and why?

• Advertisement

kylith wrote: »
    I really doubt that kids are forcing themselves to have romantic contact with a gender they're not attracted to and inviting the full force of schoolyard homophobia to be 'cool'. Not only because if being gay was seen as cool in school then gay teenagers wouldn't have such high suicide rates.

You'd be surprised.

You'd be surprised.

I'd be surprised if you could provide any evidence for this what so ever. Other than that this is standard moaning and cribin along the lines of 'de gays have it all now sure its harder to be straight at this stage'

Which part and why?

When I say "funny", I mean it in the way of it being strange. That fat is treated worse than sexuality.

You'd be surprised.

Do you believe in rainbow parties too?:P

When I say "funny", I mean it in the way of it being strange. That fat is treated worse than sexuality.

Oh I mean one only needs to look at the media nowadays to see that it is way worse. Fat people are filth, moral and intellectual lepers who bring it all on themselves. Even those who dislike gay people tend to think they didn't choose it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Not only because if being gay was seen as cool in school then gay teenagers wouldn't have such high suicide rates.

Not sure you can read too much from suicide rates. You wouldn't know how privileged white men in the US are if you looked at their suicide rates.

https://www.afsp.org/understanding-suicide/facts-and-figures

I'd be surprised if you could provide any evidence for this what so ever. Other than that this is standard moaning and cribin along the lines of 'de gays have it all now sure its harder to be straight at this stage'

It is harder being straight! It just seems so much easier to hook up when you're gay. From what I've heard about Grindr, it's pretty much a goldmine! :pac:

They may not be having actual contact but they are hiding behind the identity, particularly boys.

Some think it's to escape jock/sports peer pressure so they pretend to be gay, like some men used to do to avoid the draft.

Certainly when I was in undergrad some of the feminist evangelical missionaries tried to convince women they were lesbians and some actually did convince themselves they were gay and then we'll.... Turns out they weren't they were being fashionably bi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

im so confused about what gender the "woman" in the story is supposedly??
    surely at this stage, let's try and let the whole trans issue sink in a bit, before bringing binary female/male/unconformed whatever... that sh!t is absolutely nonsense. you are either male, female, or trans. that's surely about all you can be is it not?!

Robin thicke is a legend.

the song is not "rapey" either. name ONE part of it that he sings or raps the word "rape"

They may not be having actual contact but they are hiding behind the identity, particularly boys.

Some think it's to escape jock/sports peer pressure so they pretend to be gay, like some men used to do to avoid the draft.

This is fiction utter fiction! Evidence? How on earth would it make sense on any rational level to try and escape jock/sports peer pressure by pretending to be gay thereby raising the ire of that same pressure to an even greater degree.

Also Zeffa you are aware that gays can run and kick balls too? FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

He should just have played a Millie Jackson serenade. More effective and less confrontational:

This is fiction utter fiction! Evidence? How on earth would it make sense on any rational level to try and escape jock/sports peer pressure by pretending to be gay thereby raising the ire of that same pressure to an even greater degree.

Also Zeffa you are aware that gays can run and kick balls too? FFS.

Ok so you'll believe that a man who thinks he's a woman is actually a woman but you can't believe this.

It makes sense because gays are a protected group now, non sporty non jockey geeky boys do not have a lobby group and parades.

That's amazing.

Also I am more than aware of the homo eroticism in rugby thanks. Rugby couldn't make it clearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Im inclined to lean towards her tumblerina ways as I hate that song tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

It's daft how many pages are on this topic and not much about the actual event in question but rather turned into people bickering over gender and sexuality.

On the topic what is the person looking for out of this? Can't take any action against the club or DJ. Was silly in the first place for them to go up and say the song reminded them of their past when they knew the song would not be stopped, they hadn't planned on getting it stopped, and didn't expect the DJ to reply..so what was the point?

Now to the accuracy of the report it is hard to tell. In my experience if someone is in a night club they are very rarely sober. And also if someone is then told to "**** off" whilst being a bit drunk they generally don't take it too well, and when the friend is quoted saying "My initial reaction was disgust, fear and anger" I would at least expect an exchange of words.

I'd be very surprised if they just showed the message were told to **** off, turned to each other and said "that was rude let's go for a smoke" and then upon trying to reenter told they weren't allowed in.

It's impossible to know what happened with only that persons account, but honestly I personally don't really care, it's a silly story designed at sparking such debates and arguments that have been witnessed here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Adamocovic wrote: »
    It's daft how many pages are on this topic and not much about the actual event in question but rather turned into people bickering over gender and sexuality.

I think the consensus is that this girl was being an idiot at the club and there wasn't much point in discussing that point since everyone pretty much agree on it so the discussion moved on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

You do know that you've named yourself after a gay character, right?
    Not really, as I didn't actually pick the username after a character.

Even if I did, and I'm aware that the character in question is gay, why bring it up? To play the homophobia card?

Seriously, what's the point of you raising this? Are you really that pathetic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Adamocovic wrote: »
    It's impossible to know what happened with only that persons account

You can never really know what happened based on one persons telling but if someone claims they were kicked out of a club and proceeds to tell a story where they left and then were refused entry I'd probably tend to not take anything they say at face value. They are already dramatising events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

DJ was spot on. Just a little drama queen looking for attention.
    Horrible little comment.

The dj could have continued to play the song while showing some compassion to a rape victim by not acting as he did - I don't think anyone making comments like the one above has any understanding of rape or the impact it can have on a victim, nor do I, but I at least try and understand it without attempting to compound someone's suffering.

K4t wrote: »
    Horrible little comment.

The dj could have continued to play the song while showing some compassion to a rape victim by not acting as he did - I don't think anyone making comments like the one above has any understanding of rape or the impact it can have on a victim, nor do I, but I at least try and understand it without attempting to compound someone's suffering.

I'm sorry, but how was he supposed to know she was a rape victim? By all accounts, she just wrote a message asking him to turn it off and not mentioning anything else. Unless I've got that wrong?

Reread the article. Got mixed up as someone quoted it without the rape part in the quote. Never mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

jungleman wrote: »
    Seeing as yesterdays rag included a story about how air conditioning is sexist, I wouldn't be surprised.

Who with the what now?

Not really, as I didn't actually pick the username after a character.

Even if I did, and I'm aware that the character in question is gay, why bring it up? To play the homophobia card?

Seriously, what's the point of you raising this? Are you really that pathetic?

I think it's a fair assumption on my part that you named yourself after the character since you have his image as your avatar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I'm sorry, but how was he supposed to know she was a rape victim? By all accounts, she just wrote a message asking him to turn it off and not mentioning anything else. Unless I've got that wrong?

Reread the article. Got mixed up as someone quoted it without the rape part in the quote. Never mind.

from the article in the OP
    ‘I know you want it’ are the exact words my rapist said to me before he raped me. I don’t want to hear this ****

Horrible little comment.

ah shut it. that's the most stupid reply ever.

how do you know that the attention wh0re wasnt just looking for exactly that?
    either way - who brings up that topic in a nightclub??? what a weirdo.
    and even if it was true that she had been raped in the past, who cares?? why should a total stranger have to care about what happened to that girl? i wouldnt give it a second thought - she's a stranger!!
    there's worse things going on in the world....

he knew:
    Georgia wrote a note on a phone to the DJ saying: “‘I know you want it’ are the exact words my rapist said to me before he raped me. I don’t want to hear this ****.” Shockingly, the grad says the DJ called over the microphone: “**** off you silly bitch.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I think it's a fair assumption on my part that you named yourself after the character since you have his image as your avatar.

how is it in any way relevant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Jenner was the mens olympic decathlon gold winner at the 1976 games.

So she predates all the faux reality show ****e and was genuinely a very big deal in her day and rightly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

From the original article -
    Georgia wrote a note on a phone to the DJ saying: “‘I know you want it’ are the exact words my rapist said to me before he raped me. I don’t want to hear this ****.” Shockingly, the grad says the DJ called over the microphone: “**** off you silly bitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Just looking again at that site, it's better described as a Leeds University student blog. It makes the Journal look like the New York Times.

Our clicking on it from boards.ie/facebook shares is giving it more hits than it's ever had. So they're going to do this again and again.

The Tab has versions in almost every UK university and pretty much anyone can write any sort of rubbish on it. The one for my uni had a story about some random first year burning his dinner in his flat and another about people being woken up by builders.

Best ignored.

Only spotted that afterwards and edited my post to reflect this.

From the original article -

and rightly so... what sort of a person would bring their misery onto a total stranger?!?! if she did that to me, i would have said the same thing back to her, maybe not over the microphone, but i would have told her to fvck right off. stupid b!tch.. nobody has the right to force you to feel empathy or sympathy for them... if they try that sh!t, usually the opposite will of course happen because it's absolutely ridiculous for someone to try and make a total stranger feel bad for them....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement