Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deer hunting license

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

Kiltris wrote: »
    I sent in mine in May and I still haven't received it, phoned them today and they said it had been approved and I'd have it before the week was out. Can't understand how it could take this long to get the bloody thing sorted.
    Because they let them sit in sacks till July then start to issue in August, retarded system.I was in with them on July 30th over a mistake on mine and they where only processing June 4th or 5th bag of applications ,they said they had over 4000,probably 3 or 4 people processing them , should be a 3 year licence anyway.I still have not received my amended one back by the way and I will be going out on Sept 1st if I have it or not, I'm not going to suffer because of their incompetence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭leica

Rang them today , told me there is a six week backlog , definitely will not have mine on time , told me you have to have it to shoot deer , which is understandable , not really pissed though , I normally wait for the rut anyway , love to hear the Sika whistling, make the hair stand on the back of your neck ,!!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭RKMG

leica wrote: »
    Rang them today , told me there is a six week backlog , definitely will not have mine on time , told me you have to have it to shoot deer , which is understandable , not really pissed though , I normally wait for the rut anyway , love to hear the Sika whistling, make the hair stand on the back of your neck ,!!

Did they give any indication on whether or not they might catch up on the back log in the next few weeks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭hollowpoint

Arrived Tuesday FINALLY!!! What's with the pink though?

RKMG wrote: »
    Did they give any indication on whether or not they might catch up on the back log in the next few weeks?

No just said that there was a backlog and there trying to deal with it the best they can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,080 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Sent mine back 14 days after being recived in April.Nothing until last Monday when they kicked it back due to one permission being PP signed,as the landowner was indisposed to sign it.Same permission for the last ten years ,same info ,same everything,just signed on his behalf with his full permission.
    Rang them to ask why the delay to be told they are working on the ones from July.I asked them when did they get mine first time?According to them in July!!
    So from April to July it sat in an IN tray someplace in an NPWS office.Asked them why cant this be issued on a three year basis..Basically "property might change hands or other factors might change that has an effect on the place you are shooting..If you want to put it in writing......." Heres a thought,maybe we would inform NPWS if such happened as responsible gun owning adults?So now we have the NPWS doing what AGS stations had to do every year before the three year liscense...Shut down to get liscenses issued before a deadline of Sept 1st.:rolleyes: Why not just deal with them as they arrive in from the end of a seson to the next and then mass mail them the last two weeks of August?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Sent mine back 14 days after being recived in April.Nothing until last Monday when they kicked it back due to one permission being PP signed,as the landowner was indisposed to sign it.Same permission for the last ten years ,same info ,same everything,just signed on his behalf with his full permission.
    Rang them to ask why the delay to be told they are working on the ones from July.I asked them when did they get mine first time?According to them in July!!
    So from April to July it sat in an IN tray someplace in an NPWS office.Asked them why cant this be issued on a three year basis..Basically "property might change hands or other factors might change that has an effect on the place you are shooting..If you want to put it in writing......." Heres a thought,maybe we would inform NPWS if such happened as responsible gun owning adults?So now we have the NPWS doing what AGS stations had to do every year before the three year liscense...Shut down to get liscenses issued before a deadline of Sept 1st.:rolleyes: Why not just deal with them as they arrive in from the end of a seson to the next and then mass mail them the last two weeks of August?

Grizz, you're making too much sense.

I Would have to agree with tikka hunter and say it is complete incompetence on the npws side , there looking for animals culled and can't supply experienced hunters that can dispatch of animals humanly, professionally and safely with permits ?
    Ps , bear in mind it is still illegal to shoot deer without a valid permit ,
    Unless your a poacher , then you can do what you like , in or out of season , npws, Garda , Rangers , don't seem to bother about them ,

I Would have to agree with tikka hunter and say it is complete incompetence on the npws side , there looking for animals culled and can't supply experienced hunters that can dispatch of animals humanly, professionally and safely with permits ?
    Ps , bear in mind it is still illegal to shoot deer without a valid permit ,
    Unless your a poacher , then you can do what you like , in or out of season , npws, Garda , Rangers , don't seem to bother about them ,
    I should have added I have a section 42 that runs another 2 weeks so I am covered that way,I wouldn't just go out with nothing. Still nothing in the post today despite me going in with the original to get mistakes amended, found them very unhelpful this year . I had to get letters from them in past years saying my license would be granted for gun license etc. But this year they don't want to do anything for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭steyrman

I should have added I have a section 42 that runs another 2 weeks so I am covered that way,I wouldn't just go out with nothing. Still nothing in the post today despite me going in with the original to get mistakes amended, found them very unhelpful this year . I had to get letters from them in past years saying my license would be granted for gun license etc. But this year they don't want to do anything for you.

Hi did you get the section 42 with last seasons licence if so your licence is out of date the section 42 is valid with a current deer hunting licence you do not have a current hunting licence so there for you cannot legally stalk I am open to correction on this last thing you want is someone stopping you and you don't have the proper paperwork to cover you

steyrman wrote: »
    Hi did you get the section 42 with last seasons licence if so your licence is out of date the section 42 is valid with a current deer hunting licence you do not have a current hunting licence so there for you cannot legally stalk I am open to correction on this last thing you want is someone stopping you and you don't have the proper paperwork to cover you
    Been in and checked this with them (spent 40 minutes in a waiting room getting lip off a porter) as i was unsure myself but what i was told that even though you use your hunting licence to obtain the section , they fall under 2 different acts in the law so even though the ordinary license expires the section still covers you as a licence to cull deer on the nominated land as the nominated stalker. Thats the ****ed up country we live in. They should ramped up staff in that office in June and none of this would be an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭hiddenmongoose

only law abiding people are being affected by this as is the case with anything gun related.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭villa1979

My permit never arrived I was told I would have it last Friday booked tomorrow off work so I.will be going for deer without permit in the morning I see this mess as the npws problem not mine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

villa1979 wrote: »
    My permit never arrived I was told I would have it last Friday booked tomorrow off work so I.will be going for deer without permit in the morning I see this mess as the npws problem not mine

You certainly won't be the only one out tomorrow like that but I have a feeling tomorrow of all days is when the powers that be will be out checking permits.

Needs to be a 3 year permit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭arrowloopboy

I believe some of the backlog is due to the npws trying to weed out multiple licenses been issued on tiny parcels of private land .

I hope WADI and all these other organisations create merry hell with NPWS about this clusterfk! This has been the worst year for this in utter incompetance and messing that I can remember. Ever.
    WADI statement from their FB page

urther to our recent communication regarding the current backlog in the processing of section 29 licences (deer hunting licences) issued by the wildlife licensing section of the Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht.
    We have been advised by Minister Humphrey's office and the wildlife licensing section of the Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht:
    1.To date over 2,000 deer hunting licenses have been issues; which is a significant increase on the 1,000 plus issued up to last Wednesday. It is estimated a further 1,000 plus applications are waiting to be processed.
    2.While we cannot confirm an exact date the backlog will be cleared, Minister Humphrey's has agreed to provide immediate additional resources to help in the processing of applications.
    3. The wildlife licensing section are currently receiving a large number of enquiries which is delaying the processing of applications and they would urge applicants to be patient.
    4. Other than applications that are queried at regional level, applications are being processed based on the date received and it is not possible to skip this queuing system.
    Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht have confirmed those who are found to be deer stalking without a deer hunting licence, will be considered to be breaking the law and open to prosecution.
    We have consistently made it known to the Minister of the anger and disruption this backlog has caused amongst deer stalkers and the subsequent consequences for deer management.
    We will keep you informed of any further developments.

Min Humphries GET YOUR DEPTS THUMB OUT!! This is an utter disgrace!

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Like the WDAI said, if everyone stopped ringing daily multiple times asking what date they're on it might help with the delay, id say at least 1 person is answering phones all day long instead of processing applications, slowing it down more.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭stef22

no license for me either :mad: found them very helpful previous year but not this time.

Dealing with 22nd of July now , bloody hell .................

• Advertisement

If they are just processing one day at a time I wont have mine until October at this rate. although the WDAI did say in one of their FB posts that they had agreed to get in extra resources to clear the backlog so hopefully it speeds up

If they are just processing one day at a time I wont have mine until October at this rate. although the WDAI did say in one of their FB posts that they had agreed to get in extra resources to clear the backlog so hopefully it speeds up
    That dosnt seem to happening mate they are only moving one day at a time.Lads will miss half of a season and the rut due to their incompetence.

That dosnt seem to happening mate they are only moving one day at a time.Lads will miss half of a season and the rut due to their incompetence.

No doesn't look like they have done anything about it yet, was just hoping over the next couple of weeks things would start to speed up.

Even if they allowed people to hunt and to just use their permissions, confirmation of this years application and last years license as back up until they have gotten through the backlog it would solve everything

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

they couldn't legally do that. It would be like a Garda letting you have a gun and the use of it until your license application is processed simply because he believes it'll go through without a hitch.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

No doesn't look like they have done anything about it yet, was just hoping over the next couple of weeks things would start to speed up.
    Apparently the amount they got in August was mental so don't think it's going to get any quicker.It is a **** sandwhich and a problem they could see coming as the sacks of letters where just let build.Not a whole lot of pressure being applied by the different deer associations and the nargc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭lakesider

Apparently the amount they got in August was mental so don't think it's going to get any quicker.It is a **** sandwhich and a problem they could see coming as the sacks of letters where just let build.Not a whole lot of pressure being applied by the different deer associations and the nargc

The biggest reason for the backlog is because most lads leave things late then expect it to happen overnight, never had a problem with NPWS any year but then I return mines as soon as I get it out , was talkin to alad last week who only sent his in and he was askin wud it be out in time:pac:

lakesider wrote: »
    The biggest reason for the backlog is because most lads leave things late then expect it to happen overnight, never had a problem with NPWS any year but then I return mines as soon as I get it out , was talkin to alad last week who only sent his in and he was askin wud it be out in time:pac:

The biggest reason is the extra 2000 odd applications they got this year .They knew they had a problem early doors and didnt react, now lads that had them in early and had mistakes that they made and had to be sent back to be rectified have got swallowed up in this mess.They should have start processing them sooner when they seen the sacks pile up or requested extra resources but they done nothing and the hunter suffers and they don't care because they clock out at 3 and go home after starting at 9 and having two 1 hour breaks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I have no axe to grind in this, however I was speaking to the brother of our NPWS ranger 2 days ago.
    The ranger has been checking with local landowners in relation to the number of permissions on their property.
    In one case there were 38 people with "permission" on about 40 acres of land.
    Land owner only knew of 5 that he had given permission to this year.
    Whether the others were "old" permissions or forgeries, I'm not sure but checking stuff like this will slow everything down.

Cass wrote: »
    they couldn't legally do that. It would be like a Garda letting you have a gun and the use of it until your license application is processed simply because he believes it'll go through without a hitch.

Yeah I understand, wishful thinking more than anything. I am on Coillte Forestry and literally nothing has changed since last year so its just frustrating, I only received my Permits mid August and applied as soon as I got them.

• Advertisement

Vizzy wrote: »
    I have no axe to grind in this, however I was speaking to the brother of our NPWS ranger 2 days ago.
    The ranger has been checking with local landowners in relation to the number of permissions on their property.
    Whether the others were "old" permissions or forgeries, I'm not sure but checking stuff like this will slow everything down.
    That's poor form alright

Vizzy wrote: »
    Last year i had this exact problem.

The ranger refused to issue permits on one permission in particular. The reason was the landowner would just sign any permission slip or even if a lad didn't have one the landowner would just say that he had permission. Got so bad people had no permission, forged permissions or an old one that they never bothered to get signed each year. Poaching was rife, as were trespassers, hence the reason the land was red flagged.
    Yeah I understand, wishful thinking more than anything. I am on Coillte Forestry and literally nothing has changed since last year so its just frustrating, I only received my Permits mid August and applied as soon as I got them.
    Unfortunately there won't be a stop gap measure here.

On the plus side, and while it's of no comfort to any lads waiting on their license, this should clear up all the fraudulent applications. IOW it had to be cleaned up. Will be interesting to see the amount hat applied this year to the amount next year along with the amount actually granted.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Point still is they shouldnt just let them build up in the IN tray until the season is a month away.
    I send mine back ASAP usually within 21/20 days dependig on getting the landowners to sign.There was a problem with mine this year that they had ample time to inform me about had anyone bothered to look at it between April and August and now its back in the system until its looked at it again, despite them saying it would be jumped to immediate attention because it was one of the 1st in the que.
    Last year OI missed the start due to court cases over the gun.This year its the bunting liscense.
    Couldnt make it up!

I know, i know.

With my thing last year they only let me know the problem when i rang up and asked. Just made it in time to get sorted before the start of the season.

Point still is they shouldnt just let them build up in the IN tray until the season is a month away.
    I send mine back ASAP usually within 21/20 days dependig on getting the landowners to sign.There was a problem with mine this year that they had ample time to inform me about had anyone bothered to look at it between April and August and now its back in the system until its looked at it again, despite them saying it would be jumped to immediate attention because it was one of the 1st in the que.
    Last year OI missed the start due to court cases over the gun.This year its the bunting liscense.
    Couldnt make it up!
    Same problem im having , got it in early doors then when they made a mistake i hand delivered back in but they wont look at it until the day they are doing that date so im about a week away from them re doing it , hopefully no mistakes this time , in previous years found them friendly and helpful but not this year. Stags are showing signs of rut already so dont want to miss out because of their incompetence.The section i have on the land runs out Wednesday and im working nights till then after that im up on blocks till the pink letter arrives.

So the message NPWS is sending is.
    "Dont bother getting this in early next season,cos all we will do is shove it in the IN tray until about say...oh..early July when we will go and pick holes in these applications or send people to investigate over subscribed areas and then moan we havent enough staff to deal with this on beuracratic hours,and then deal with them as they arrive on a calender date,and any that are wrong will be dumped at the back of the line again.IOW there is no benefit to anyone actually trying to make the work load easier as you will get the same response if you send it in end of April or mid July in the flood".:rolleyes:

Hell of a way to run a govt dept.....But why should we expect service,we are just paying for this with our tax euros collectively.Would swear they staffed the dept with a bunch of antis this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭arrowloopboy

What amazes me most about this whole clusterfcuk,is the magnitude of surprise/amazement by most on here regarding the inefficiency of a bunch of civil servants and a bunch of forms.
    The savage eye done a skit called ''fillin outa form'' to the air of Bruin up a storm,aimed at civil servants ,it fits the bill here I think.
    They'll probably all be off for a fortnight suffering from excess stress/pressure ,when they get all these forms sorted out :rolleyes:.

anybody knows at what day in July they are at now ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭sean raff

Rang yesterday on the 27th

Finally mine arrived this AM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭tomtucker81

Finally mine arrived this AM.

When did you send it in? I was in the 1st week of august....still waiting.

When did you send it in? I was in the 1st week of august....still waiting.

End of April.Was sent back to me with a problem two weeks ago.Sorted and reissued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭PL05

Sent mine around 3rd week of July. Was on to them yesterday and was told they are processing the ones on 28th July but mine has,nt been processed. Now I'm wondering has it gone missing in post. If this is the case it Will be the first time its happened in over 20 odd years that I have been at this game. Don't know what's going on. A load of bol**x obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Eurocodus

The NPWS are currently processing the 30th July. An inordinate number of late applications. They are receiving 40 to 50 per day still. I made a call as my firearm licence is up for renewal. I sent in my application on the 15th of August (mea maxima culpa), expect 2 to 2 and half weeks.

They told me that if I send my application in for March or April I will have my licence for first of September. There will an application posted on the first of March.

As per usual, some people who sent in late applications and when licence was not issued, threw a wobbler on the phone. Stay classy.

• Advertisement

Sorry and apologies, I am not attacking anybody's character on this site.

Had a bit of giggle at that. It reminded of the of lads i speak to each year tell me "sure i'll stick mine in, in August" then expect it to be there for the first.

Granted there seems to be a bad delay, but of the 4,000 (rough guess) applications i'd like to see how many went in during or after July. Then as i said earlier in the thread they seem to be doing a good and necessary clamp down on the amount of old, fraudulent and overshot/overcrowded permissions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

Eurocodus wrote: »
    They told me that if I send my application in for March or April I will have my licence for first of September. There will an application posted on the first of March.

Not very fair though on the people who depend on their lease in order to get the permit. My lease application didn't arrive until mid August. Lucky enough I had private land to apply against but some people don't have the luxury.

[QUOTE=I sent in my application on the 15th of August (mea maxima culpa), expect 2 to 2 and half weeks.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I just noticed some ambiguity in the statement above: I meant they expect it will be processed by 2 to 2 and half weeks (end of September) not that I expected it in two to two and half weeks from August 15th.

Apologies, Viper 123, you are quite right about stalkers who lease land.

One would of thought that they would process the form (with regard to leases) put them to one side. As and when leases are agreed put paperwork together and issue licence.

There are plenty of good ideas on this thread: three year licence (as sportsmen have written permission whereas Mr Poacher has a 223* and a brass neck)

Well guys, the points above are of ill-consequence as nothings going to change (as per reloading)

*No offence to fox and target shooters

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭sean raff

Anybody know what date these guys are on

• Advertisement
Advertisement