Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ACCA Lecturer Advice

Options
  • 05-08-2015 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

I am looking to study F6 Taxation for the December 2015 exam. I previously did it with Mel Kilkenny and I did not find the lectures good at all. Very scattered, didn't cover topics, incorrect solutions etc.
    I was going to go with Julie in DBS but she is not doing F6 anymore.

My choices are:

Independent - Sandra Gleeson
    Griffith - John McLaughlin
    DBS - Mark Lonergan

Any recommendations please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 TraceyH

Hi, I did P6 with Sandra, found her really good, good complete notes and uses real life examples in explaining scenarios. She gave progress tests after each lecture to be completed by a set date and sent to her for marking which I found quite useful as it really helped to re enforce what was covered in the session and forces you to practice questions which is key to passing the exam. Hope this helps! Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

I believe Dermot Madden of Griffith college is supposed to be quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ACCA1916

Mel Kilkenny or Julie Hawkins, the rest are cannon fodder.

Both Mel and Julie have their critics in different ways but you cant doubt their pass rates. Either one is a superb choice IMO.

ACCA1916 wrote: »
    Mel Kilkenny or Julie Hawkins, the rest are cannon fodder.

Both Mel and Julie have their critics in different ways but you cant doubt their pass rates. Either one is a superb choice IMO.

I think someone mention above that Julie Hawkins stopped doing F6.
    Does she still do P6?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 AKACCA

Hi,

Julie is not doing F6 this time around but still is doing P6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 JoannaBedow

Hi AKACCA

Very surprised with your comments on Mel Kilkenny.

I found his course excellent - got 75% - and actually enjoyed his lectures. Two of my friends on the course got over 70 as well.

You mustn't have bothered with his weekly homework - I found it great and it was specially helpful for the MCQ questions.

Perhaps you shouldn't be blaming the lecturer?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ACCA1916

Hi AKACCA

Agree with the above post, Mel Kilkenny is one of the best tax lecturers around as is Julie Hawkins.

Any fellow student I spoke to has the highest regards for Mel when he was at independent and now in city colleges.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Ardeehey

agree on Mel Kilkenny, ok his style might not be for everyone but found the course tailored perfectly to the exam, scored in the 70's, tax is all about practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mr_fortycoats

Ardeehey wrote: »
    tax is all about practice.

Aye, pity Mel didn't practice more himself

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭MediaHaul

The irony of some of the comments above in hindsight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭MediaHaul

Hi AKACCA

I found his course excellent - got 75% - and actually enjoyed his lectures. Two of my friends on the course got over 70 as well.

You mustn't have bothered with his weekly homework - I found it great and it was specially helpful for the MCQ questions.

Perhaps you shouldn't be blaming the lecturer?

So ironic...........

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭CassieManson

MediaHaul wrote:
    So ironic...........

Care to explain?

You gotta find a lecture who will make you hustle for the marks.

That's the gig....

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭the goon

i have to say I found Mel to be an excellent lecturer, though definitely unorthodoxed.

the goon wrote: »
    i have to say I found Mel to be an excellent lecturer, though definitely unorthodoxed.

hmmm similar could be said about Gerry 'Hustler' Fahy for P2 :p

• Registered Users Posts: 34 kiferea

AKACCA wrote: »
    Hi,

I am looking to study F6 Taxation for the December 2015 exam. I previously did it with Mel Kilkenny and I did not find the lectures good at all. Very scattered, didn't cover topics, incorrect solutions, errors in calcs etc.
    I was going to go with Julie in DBS but she is not doing F6 anymore.

My choices are:

Independent - Sandra Gleeson
    Griffith - John McLaughlin
    DBS - Mark Lonergan

Any recommendations please?

I agree with your comments re: Mel Kilkenny- not great at all. Examples are all over the place, course material is not very helpful, confusing and not structured way of lecturing. He could also slow down a bit and concentrate on the quality v speed. Would not recommend.

Advertisement