Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot town, summer in the city.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    How about running as an independent in the next elections & sharing your opinions on a national forum if you feel so passionate about your cause?

What stuns me is that Dubliners don't feel so passionately about their own city. It's like they have an acceptance that this how it should be. Instead of coming up with suggestions to stop the rot they keep having a go at posters like me with genuine concerns for the city center. They seem to be in denial or they just don't care. Either way it's equally bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

do something about it.

Plenty of people here working in inner city youth groups, rejuvenation projects etc... devoting time, effort and money in Dublin.

I seriously doubt you could tear yourself away from the keyboard to do something like that. Or would you?

Are you going to put your money and time where your (big) mouth is?

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I seriously doubt you could tear yourself away from the keyboard to do something like that.

Lovely attitude. Don't be making assumptions about people you don't know. Easy on the internet, harder in real life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

What stuns me is that Dubliners don't feel so passionately about their own city. It's like they have an acceptance that this how it should be. Instead of coming up with suggestions to stop the rot they keep having a go at posters like me with genuine concerns for the city center. They seem to be in denial or they just don't care. Either way it's equally bad.
    Not having a go Kermit, I would like a simple answer to a simple question is all.

Pissing & moaning on an internet forum, when you are so passionate about a subject, achieves feck all, it just makes you sound like a whinge without substance constantly having a pop at Dublin.

If you have genuine concerns, standing up for what you believe in by taking it to the next level speaks volumes.

A case of put up or shut up, if you will...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Lovely attitude. Don't me making assumptions about people you don't know. Easy on the internet, harder in real life.

Well, are you going to do something about it? Or are you just taking the easy road? If you're interested PM me. I was heavily involved in an inner city youth project. I helped set it up and I'm still in touch with the present organisers.

• Advertisement

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Well, are you going to do something about it? Or are you just taking the easy road? If you're interested PM me. I was heavily involved in an inner city youth project. I helped set it up and I'm still in touch with the present organisers.

I never said anything about the youth projects or clubs and certainly never had a bad word to say about that at all. I fully acknowledge the great work they/you do in very difficult circumstances and they need more support. That is proactive prevention.

That is not the issue - drug abuse and lack of visible policing in the city center is what I am am concerned about. The gardaí are reactive instead of proactive. It's a basic law and order issue. Where are the gardaí?

I have asked before - is there a work to rule or something?

My other beef is the planning system that decided to destroy inner city communites like your own because some idiot decided it would be a good idea to bring all of Leinster's drug addicts within half a km of O'Connell St every week by locating multiple meth clinics in the area. That is just vandalism. I can not understand who in their right mind thought that would ever be a good idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

I never said anything about the youth projects or clubs and certainly never had a bad word to say about that at all. I fully acknowledge the great work they/you do in very difficult circumstances and they need more support. That is proactive prevention.

That is not the issue - drug abuse and lack of visible policing in the city center is what I am am concerned about. The gardaí are reactive instead of proactive. It's a basic law and order issue. Where are the gardaí?

I have asked before - is there a work to rule or something?

My other beef is the planning system that decided to destroy inner city communites like your own because some idiot decided it would be a good idea to bring all of Leinster's drug addicts within half a km of O'Connell St every week by locating multiple meth clinics in the area. That is just vandalism. I can not understand who in their right mind thought that would ever be a good idea?
    Well you certainly have the question avoidance skills of a politician Kermit, still waiting re., post #31?!

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    How about running as an independent in the next elections & sharing your opinions on a national forum if you feel so passionate about your cause?

So everyone who has a concern about the city center should run as a politician?

I have a better idea. How about people start caring about their own city and stop making a sh!t of it? How about that? God forbid the city council actually do their job properly or the gardaí are actually visible on the streets.

Sure who are we to demand such standards?

And that is the problem with Dublin - and certain posters here - low standards. They think it is acceptable because they don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Strolling past the Palmengarten and seeing some of the thought leaders and visionaries of European Finance relaxing with a paper and a cup of really decent coffee...

What a blissful utopia you live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

And that is the problem with Dublin - and certain posters here - low standards. They think it is acceptable because they don't care.
    So what are YOU doing about it then?

• Advertisement

So what are YOU doing about it then?

What I am doing is totally irrelevant. What are YOU doing? I treat the place with respect. That is what I do. I don't see many other people doing that which is hardly surprising because a lot of people I think have just given up.

They see the place is not looked after properly and the authorities don't show much interest so why should they?

We need to grow a sense of civic pride but more importantly and urgently we need to deal with open drug abuse in the city center. It could be dealt with so quickly if the will was there.

Closing most of the clinics near the GPO and moving them to a nondescript preferably abandoned location on the outskirts and an increased garda presence would make a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

What I am doing is totally irrelevant. What are YOU doing?
    Im a member of my local neighbourhood watch scheme and I help out with IT at my local youth centre.
    I treat the place with respect.

You have zero respect for Dublin, all you do is tell lies on the internet about it.

You are a clown of the highest order, wildly exaggerating Dublins issues and contributing absolutely nothing to the city. Just stfu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

And we are done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement