Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Condition on license

Options
  • 05-08-2015 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭

Hi,
        I have recently received the grant letter for a gun that I have purchased. When I applied for the license I stated that the gun would be stored at my shooting club. The condition on the license is that the gun must be stored at the club. I am wondering can this be changed so that the gun can be stored mostly at the club but also can I keep it at home when it suites me. It is a unrestricted shotgun and this is my only gun. Any help appreciated thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Hi,
    I have recently received the grant letter for a gun that I have purchased. When I applied for the license I stated that the gun would be stored at my shooting club. The condition on the license is that the gun must be stored at the club. I am wondering can this be changed so that the gun can be stored mostly at the club but also can I keep it at home when it suites me. It is a unrestricted shotgun and this is my only gun. Any help appreciated thanks.

If you wanted to bring the gun home, why did you state that the gun would be stored in your shooting club? The Gardai just gave you what you asked for.

Anyway, you should go and talk to your local guard who looks after the firearms applications. He/she should be able to help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

That should be a straight forward detail

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

As Battlecorp said you applied for it to be stored in the club and were granted it on that basis. To get the firearm home you must tick the secure accommodation declaration on the FCA1 and might/will face a home visit to make sure you meet the standard set out for your firearm.

To have it changed now may not be possible. You have two options as i see it:
    1. Contact the FO and inform them that you also want it at home. If you did not sign the Secure SI section of the FCA1 then the grant may be "revoked" and a home visit asked for. At which point you must comply with whatever security they set out. This, as said, could be problematic as they have processed your application as you set it out on the FCA1.
    2. Pay for the license and you MUST keep the gun stored at the club. Once you have the license call your FO and talk to them about having the condition of it being stored at the club only changed. Again this may incur a home visit.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Following on from the advice that Cass gave you:

These are the regulations for storing one non-restricted shotgun at home.

"One non-restricted shot-gun. The shot-gun shall be disassembled and each part shall be stored securely and separately when not in use.

The trigger housing shall be secured against use with an appropriate trigger lock."

The Gardai can insist on more robust security if they want. What I have listed above is the minimum. They might insist on you having a safe. If they do, then you have to do what they say or else you won't get to store the gun at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

There's also the legal definition of storage to be considered; in any normal thinking person's mind it would mean kept at the location during prolonged periods of non use. Would that for example include having the gun at your home for a few hours while you're present at the house after having collected it at the club in order to travel to another clay ground for a competition and returning it to it's normal storage location after the event.

I think you're in a typical "how long is a piece of string" situation. If it's your only gun the storage requirements are minimal anyway so I would suggest contacting your local Gardai and see if the condition can be amended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

Thanks for all of the replies. The one thing am worried about this condition is that some day I might bring the gun out to a shoot in another club and if I was unable to return the gun before closing time because the competitions can be in very remote locations I would then be in breach of my licence. I will get onto the FO to see if this can be changed.

The one thing am worried about this condition is that some day I might bring the gun out to a shoot in another club and if I was unable to return the gun before closing time because the competitions can be in very remote locations
    If this was a concern why seek the license under the condition of storing at the club?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

I would just tell the Garda you where at the time of application unable to meet the secure accommodation order and you now bought a safe are ready for the home inspection and that you now want to be able to store your firearm yourself avoiding storeage costs.. Etc.. You can also explain your travel to and from shooting comps..

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭daragh8008

I did a very similar thing, but added a note attached to the cert application to say that the gun would usually be stored at the club, but may be stored at home to facilitate travel and maintenance, and that I have had a safe installed meeting the secure accommodation requirements. The license when received had no conditions attached. Maybe the Gardai took the view that unless you specifically tell them they will assume that you are unwilling or unable to meet the secure accommodation requirements. I'm sure it will be easily fixed though.

daragh8008 wrote: »
    ......... and that I have had a safe installed meeting the secure accommodation requirements. The license when received had no conditions attached. Maybe the Gardai took the view that unless you specifically tell them they will assume that you are unwilling or unable to meet the secure accommodation requirements.............

Unlike the OP you asked for storage at home, and other than the letter i assume you also ticked the box in section 3.5 that asks have you complied with the requirements laid out in the secure accommodation Order. Hence the reason you never had condition attached.

Plus any condition(s), and i know this is probably being pedantic, would be on the grant letter not the license itself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement