Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many credit cards do you have?

• 05-08-2015 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Just curious as Ive received my second recently.

I am not a big spender by no means, but I now have credit of €2,500 in case something really hit the fan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,751 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

One, with nothing on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

None, never had one and not planning to have one.
    But I have something which is in fact debit card, but works as credit card, so I can use it for renting cars, booking hotels, etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I've two, one with a crappy 500 euro balance I've had since a student, I dont know why I dont cancel it and save the stamp duty and the other which I have in case of emergency with a balance of 13k

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

One-3k limit, used rarely and paid in full every month if it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭One More Toy

I think we are confusing credit limit with balance? Or at least I hope so! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

Damn beer bought with free credit :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I had one for years, finally got rid of it a couple of years ago and will never get one again, far too dangerous for me! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I had one for years, finally got rid of it a couple of years ago and will never get one again, far too dangerous for me! :)

Pity, as it can be a real help if you are ever stuck, and as a cash management device; have you looked into adapting a frugal lifestyle maybe?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Pity, as it can be a real help if you are ever stuck, and as a cash management device; have you looked into adapting a frugal lifestyle maybe?

yes, cancelling my credit card! managing a lot better now....thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

haha yes limit! whoops.. that'd be some interest bill!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Just one had it for about 20 years, credit limit is €3,300 rarely have more than a couple of hundred on it and pay it off every month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

One (two cards on the one account).

Use it for absolutely everything instead of debit card to cut down on transaction fees. Pay it off in full every month. If I lived in a different country, I'd have plenty of rewards points or whatever offers come with such heavy use of the card.

Hopefully my bank will have contactless credit cards in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Just the one with about 3K limit on it. Only use it for online shopping, which I do a good bit of so its handy. Its still a student one too so no transaction fees. Yay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

None. I have just had one cancelled after 15 - 20 years. I have an outside post box which is never used by the regular postie. New dude recently in the area who does use it. As a result of not checking the outside post box, I missed two payments in a row on a balance of less than 500 euro. Credit limit was nearly 9 grand. I actually paid a grand in after which I received a letter telling me it was cancelled along with a cheque for the balance. Last week, I received a rather snotty demand for 1.23 Euro: idiots.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I had 2 at one stage, one for my house for emergencies and the other for personal use which I got before going on holidays a few years back.

The bank offered me an upgrade to a gold card which at the time I thought was great, then they kept upping the limit, at one stage I had a €15k limit which was crazy. They refused to reduce the limit and the temptation was too great to spend, which is obviously what they wanted.

Eventually I had enough and cancelled both. Now I'm constantly getting junk mail about new offers for credit cards.

I'm pretty much allergic to debt these days, apart from a mortgage I'm just about debt free, no loans, car finance, credit cards etc.

If I do get one again it Will have a limit of around 1.5k and no more and only come out for holidays and emergencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

Just the one credit card here, my first one with a tiny limit of €1,200,

I might at some stage look to get my limit put up to c. 3K for holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    If I do get one again it Will have a limit of around 1.5k and no more and only come out for holidays and emergencies.

I think there is also a value in paying for some high value items with a credit card as it does give you some extra security if the goods fail to arrive or the company goes bankrupt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

I have one, use it for almost everything I buy and it gets paid off every month. I never saw the reason to have more than one card.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭Cilar

No credit card for now, just debits. If I don't have the money, I don't buy. Simple as that. I'm allergic to debts. I have a some savings in case of emergencies. That said, I'm applying for a credit card as most car rental company in Ireland require one, or force you to take their own overpriced/rip-off insurance. Not planning to use it for anything else beside car rental in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,200 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

One, with a 5k limit. I don't really use it tbh, and if I do I clear the balance before the end of the month. I mainly have it for booking flights and online purchases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Had three Visa cards at one time with approx 30k limit between them and got rid of them, the best thing I ever ever did.
    We use a Visa Debit card now for the similar transactions which we "top up" with whatever funds are needed for the day / week from a seperate account.
    Its much safer, if the card is lost, stolen or skimmed it will only have a small limited amount of money on it at any one time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

At one stage I had a Visa, Mastercard and American Express. Now, I just have a Visa card. A massive credit limit though, and 0 balance. I have used it to close to it's limit, but only when I have savings elsewhere to pay it off within the month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I don't have one any more and I don't plan on getting one again. Only debt I plan to get into again is a mortgage. (Hopefully)

I was terrible with my credit cards, can't be trusted with them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,011 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Two. Both paid off in full every month by standing order from by day-to-day account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Used to have 2 with mental limits on both of them....which meant a lot of stuff was bought on the never never.....

I have one now with a prudent limit that gets paid off every month without fail....I'll never get caught with the crazy interest charges again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I have 6 across 3 different currencies. One is a cashback card (1%), one a charity card (again 1%). Some have high limits, one has a low limit (€3-4k). None have any balances come month end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

galljga1 wrote: »
    None. I have just had one cancelled after 15 - 20 years. I have an outside post box which is never used by the regular postie. New dude recently in the area who does use it. As a result of not checking the outside post box, I missed two payments in a row on a balance of less than 500 euro. Credit limit was nearly 9 grand. I actually paid a grand in after which I received a letter telling me it was cancelled along with a cheque for the balance. Last week, I received a rather snotty demand for 1.23 Euro: idiots.

You stopped making repayments, an automatic system flagged it and cancelled the card. The same automatic system had you sent a letter to inform you the account hadn't been settled correctly and money was owed. I've read those letters, they're not snotty at all they're mechanical and lifeless.

How does any of the above make the bank staff idiots and have you had any luck finding a credit card company who will also check your post box and call up to the door in person to tell you what you owe each month?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭lulzordan

Marcusm wrote: »
    I have 6 across 3 different currencies. One is a cashback card (1%), one a charity card (again 1%). Some have high limits, one has a low limit (€3-4k). None have any balances come month end.

I'm guessing the cashback card isn't issued in Ireland?

In the States they seem to offer a lot of bonuses, but here I wasn't able to find any bank that offered rewards with their credit cards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

2 also. Around 25k in limits between them with nothing outstanding. I couldn't imagine being without one tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

lulzordan wrote: »
    I'm guessing the cashback card isn't issued in Ireland?

In the States they seem to offer a lot of bonuses, but here I wasn't able to find any bank that offered rewards with their credit cards

Only one of them is issued in Ireland; the one with the low limit. It's the one which causes me most grief as I sometimes need to spend decent amounts in €.

Advertisement