Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord & collecting rent

Options
  • 05-08-2015 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

I moved into my new flat about 7 weeks ago and the landlord is supposed to collect the rent every Friday at 7pm. This is actually written on our rent book and our lease so I would guess this is an agreement of sorts?

So out of the last seven weeks, he has only turned up at the agreed time once so we have had to leave the rent sitting out when we leave the place and he lets himself in. This is fine if he actually turns up on Friday, but this weekend it was left out all weekend and no sign of him. On two other occasions, he turned up at awkward times over the weekend, I was half dressed and he let himself in while I was dressing in order to open the door to him.

I don't want to speculate as to his reasons for picking the rent up in cash, but I don't want him walking in whenever he feels like it.

Is there anything I can do to get him to accept a money transfer instead?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

Lux23 wrote: »
    I moved into my new flat about 7 weeks ago and the landlord is supposed to collect the rent every Friday at 7pm.
    Why on earth would you agree to this?

Its 2015, insist on paying by electronic transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Because we were looking for over 7 weeks and needed somewhere. You see, I don't think legally we can insist on paying by electronic transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Because we were looking for over 7 weeks and needed somewhere. You see, I don't think legally we can insist on paying by electronic transfer.

You can legally insist on peaceful occupation of your home, according to RTA 2004. The landlord cannot let himself in. He must knock like any other visitor.

I wouldn't mind paying in cash but paying weekly in cash is a joke I'd almost never be around on a Friday evening as Id be in the pub or travelling back to my home place.

Can you suggest paying the rent to him monthly in cash instead as that will make things much less hassle and he can keep getting cash (which is his right if he wants it, cash is legal tender and he is entitled to use it if he wishes).

Nope, you probably cant.

Your Landlord cannot let himself into your property, it is illegal. What you've got there is a bona fide cowboy landlord. Not accepting electronic payment, showing up at your property when he wants, missing appointments, casually breaking the law with trespass.

Not accepting electronic payment is a HUGE red flag. I can sympathise as we dont have the luxury of picking and choosing these days.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't have the cash up front for that and I signed a lease that says the rent is paid weekly. As I said, I wouldn't mind if he came at the agreed time, he is either late or doesn't turn up at all.

I wouldn't have the cash up front for that and I signed a lease that says the rent is paid weekly. As I said, I wouldn't mind if he came at the agreed time, he is either late or doesn't turn up at all.

You could suggest changing to monthly or 4 weekly now though. Tell him being there weekly is not convenient for you.

Does he live or work near you? My previous LL wanted cash payment (monthly) but rather than having to be in the house every month when he called one of the housemates dropped the rent into his office every month (our suggestion to him) as he passed by it on his way to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

You could suggest changing to monthly or 4 weekly now though. Tell him being there weekly is not convenient for you.

It's obviously not convenient for him either as he keeps missing the agreed time and date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Ask him if you can send him a postal order weekly instead of him barging into your home at his pleasure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

If it is part of the lease as you have said then he is in breach of the lease by failing to turn up on time. Are you registered with the PRTB?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Does this landlord actually own this place ?? Wouldnt be surprised if a family turns up saying they were away on holidays and ask why are you in their house. But its probably just a tax dodging or bank dodging landlord.

If it is part of the lease as you have said then he is in breach of the lease by failing to turn up on time. Are you registered with the PRTB?

Its a house turned into 6 different flats, but he has it registered as a 6 bedroom house and we never got a letter anyway. Our tenancy must not be registered.

The thing is that he is nice to deal with and the house is very quiet and it suits us, I just wish he would turn up as per our agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

percy212 wrote: »
    Ask him if you can send him a postal order weekly instead of him barging into your home at his pleasure.

a postal order charge every week of the year will get expensive....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Its a house turned into 6 different flats, but he has it registered as a 6 bedroom house and we never got a letter anyway.

The thing is that he is nice to deal with and the house is very quiet and it suits us, I just wish he would turn up when he has agreed to.

Well he is still in breach of one of the conditions of your lease/contract so explain to him that this is deeply inconvenient and see if ye can come to some form of better arrangement that he will be able to stick to.

aaakev wrote: »
    a postal order charge every week of the year will get expensive....

It costs us 25 cent to take the rent out the bank anyway!

It costs us 25 cent to take the rent out the bank anyway!

You have to be in your house every Friday at 7pm for the next couple of years. A tad inconvenient no?

You have to be in your house every Friday at 7pm for the next couple of years. A tad inconvenient no?

Yes, it is, you don't have to tell me! But unfortunately he could just ask us to leave if we made things awkward for him and we really don't have the money to look for somewhere else. I am going to ask if we can start paying by bank transfer, I will make up some story about travelling for work and see what he says.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I would be more worried now going by what the OP has said its mented to be a six bed house and has been transformed without permission that it has no fire certificate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Yes, it is, you don't have to tell me! But unfortunately he could just ask us to leave if we made things awkward for him and we really don't have the money to look for somewhere else. I am going to ask if we can start paying by bank transfer, I will make up some story about travelling for work and see what he says.

He could. Then you could suggest that revenue might be interested in why he is taking the rent as cash. You do have a bit of leverage here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Open a bank account in your name and give him the card move the money into it weekly but tell him he has to pay the fees. He either owes the bank and doesn't want to tell them it's rented or he's not paying tax.

I know it's a hassle but if he's up to funny business with the bank at some point he'll lose the house I'd look for something else in your own time

• Advertisement

You should also ask about moving to monthly payment of rent by cash as he may be faster to go for that if he doesnt want to use bank transfers. He may be happy to go for it as its an inconvenience for him also collecting it every week. He also has seen you are good for the money every week so might not be as worried about getting it monthly.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

Its a house turned into 6 different flats, but he has it registered as a 6 bedroom house and we never got a letter anyway. Our tenancy must not be registered..

Between this and cash payments... have alarm bells never rang with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Got to love those old school cowboy landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

What are they going to do? Rents are crazy and supply is tight so tenants don't really get the luxury of chosing their landlords.

gaius c wrote: »
    What are they going to do? Rents are crazy and supply is tight so tenants don't really get the luxury of chosing their landlords.

No, but they choose how they pay. Letting a landlord walk in and out of your rented house in unacceptable.

For most rational people anyway. :rolleyes:

If they are happy with the place and the LL is sound then why get worried about if he is registered or not. It makes no difference as the tenant is still protected in the event of a dispute. Personally I'd have no problem dealing in cash with a LL in fact in some ways I'd prefer it (and would consider cash payment if I were a LL too).

The weekly payment of rent is the big issue here for me as it would be a large inconvenience for me personally as it is for the op.
    No, but they choose how they pay. Letting a landlord walk in and out of your rented house in unacceptable.

They do appear to have given him permission though. Personally its not something that would overly bother me. I have told my LL to enter on a number of occasions when he wanted to do gardening out the back of the house, Ive never even met the man.

I also know of a friend renting where the LL enters twice a week to clean the house (common areas not bedrooms), its a massive house with large numbers of tenants so its great that the place is always spotless.

gaius c wrote: »

This. It was the best we could find for our budget and it could be months before we could save up for another deposit. We are both only back in full time employment and getting back on our feet hasn't been easy. Like I said, if he was there every Friday within an hour of the agreed time I wouldn't mind but doesn't seem to be working out that way.

Can I tell he hasn't got permission to enter the flat unless its between the hours of 7 and 9pm on Friday? At least then I can say I haven't agreed to him walking in when he wants.

If they are happy with the place and the LL is sound then why get worried about if he is registered or not. It makes no difference as the tenant is still protected in the event of a dispute.

This is just bad advice - Unregistered tenancies can lead to great difficulties in getting tax allowances/proving residency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

This. It was the best we could find for our budget and it could be months before we could save up for another deposit. We are both only back in full time employment and getting back on our feet hasn't been easy. Like I said, if he was there every Friday within an hour of the agreed time I wouldn't mind but doesn't seem to be working out that way.

Can I tell he hasn't got permission to enter the flat unless its between the hours of 7 and 9pm on Friday? At least then I can say I haven't agreed to him walking in when he wants.

He's not suppose to enter it at all without you giving him prior permission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

If you get on well with him, ring him up and say "look, I've heard there have been a few burglaries in the area over the long weekend and I was worried because we had left the rent money out for you. Is there any way we could arrange to deliver the money to you instead or pay by bank transfer? I'm really not happy to leave the cash sitting around". That way, it doesn't sound like you're berating him, but he can hardly ask you to keep your current arrangement when raised like that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement