Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord & collecting rent

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

No, but they choose how they pay. Letting a landlord walk in and out of your rented house in unacceptable.

For most rational people anyway. :rolleyes:

"Now before I come over to give you the deposit, here's how we would like to pay the rent..."
    "You pay me in cash and that's the end of it"
    "Now now, I've read information on the Threshold website and..."
    *Dial tone*
    That's the reality of renting in this country today. Your sort of thinking might work in real countries with real tenancy laws but it won't work here.

OP
    Don't be confrontational. If he's that casual with collecting rent, he'll be equally casual with how he evicts ye if he thinks you're being smart. Just say that you're not comfortable leaving rent money sitting in an easily accessible area when people are in and out the whole time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

gaius c wrote: »
    "
    OP
    Don't be confrontational. If he's that casual with collecting rent, he'll be equally casual with how he evicts ye if he thinks you're being smart. Just say that you're not comfortable leaving rent money sitting in an easily accessible area when people are in and out the whole time.

I actually said that when I was signing the lease and he said, the flat is very safe etc. Which in fairness it probably is, all the other tenants are in the house several years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Lux23 wrote: »
    I wouldn't have the cash up front for that and I signed a lease that says the rent is paid weekly. As I said, I wouldn't mind if he came at the agreed time, he is either late or doesn't turn up at all.
    nothing in the lease can take from the rights you have from the residential tenancies act.

the flat is your home and you are entitled and paying for peaceful occupation so the LL should not be letting himself in under any circumstances!

He sounds like a total pervert to me if he would allow a situation where he can walk in on some woman just out of the shower or even while you are in the shower!
    If it is part of the lease as you have said then he is in breach of the lease by failing to turn up on time. Are you registered with the PRTB?
    it may be written into the lease but is unenforceable.
    This. It was the best we could find for our budget and it could be months before we could save up for another deposit. We are both only back in full time employment and getting back on our feet hasn't been easy. Like I said, if he was there every Friday within an hour of the agreed time I wouldn't mind but doesn't seem to be working out that way.

Can I tell he hasn't got permission to enter the flat unless its between the hours of 7 and 9pm on Friday? At least then I can say I haven't agreed to him walking in when he wants.

tell him that he does not have permission to enter your flat at any time without your permission and also without one of ye being there!

report him to the PRTB over not being registered and also to the revenue commissioners and the council.

you can probably report the flats to the local fire officer who will arrange a fire safety audit of the building.

foggy_lad wrote: »

report him to the PRTB over not being registered and also to the revenue commissioners and the council.

you can probably report the flats to the local fire officer who will arrange a fire safety audit of the building.

Its beyond me how someone would do the above, running around like a tell tale child in school squealing to everyone.

Why not just try to sort out the rent collection situation instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Its beyond me how someone would do the above, running around like a tell tale child in school squealing to everyone.

Why not just try to sort out the rent collection situation instead.
    because cowboy slumlord types like described by the OP are breaking the law and deserve to be jailed and to have massive fines and also have to pay compensation to all their tenants.

In a perfect world the Criminal Assets Bureau would seize their property!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys- a little less of the rhetoric please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

Install a door chain, when you're in, use it. (if its an own door)

Guys- a little less of the rhetoric please.

Apologies, I just hate this "report culture" when this is something that has a very could chance of being sorted out without bringing loads of hassle on the LL without any actual evidence he is doing anything wrong (aside from entering the apartment, though I get the impression the op did give him permission to go in on occasions).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

foggy_lad wrote: »

And then find another place to live of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Apologies, I just hate this "report culture" when this is something that has a very could chance of being sorted out without bringing loads of hassle on the LL without any actual evidence he is doing anything wrong (aside from entering the apartment, though I get the impression the op did give him permission to go in on occasions).

Reporting landlords that don't operate by the book is the only way to start to clean up the rental sector. Ah it's grand benefits nobody, now or in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

I wonder could you just take it back if you were not going to be there after 7pm and let him do the running after you to get it? He might be more prompt next time?

athtrasna wrote: »
    Reporting landlords that don't operate by the book is the only way to start to clean up the rental sector. Ah it's grand benefits nobody, now or in the future.

Except in this case reporting the LL would probably mean having to leave. And the OP has said he wants to stay. So you expect him to 'take one for the team'? To contribute to cleaning up the rental sector at the cost of losing the place he likes? It's not on tenants to do the governments work for them and suffer the consequences. If the place is that bad, the tenant can move

Except in this case reporting the LL would probably mean having to leave. And the OP has said he wants to stay. So you expect him to 'take one for the team'? To contribute to cleaning up the rental sector at the cost of losing the place he likes? It's not on tenants to do the governments work for them and suffer the consequences. If the place is that bad, the tenant can move

He doesn't have to be the one to make the report, am sure a friend could do it. Either way this landlord isn't doing things above board, the OP should see this as a red flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

The OP can exact his reporting revenge when he eventually leaves. In the meantime he he has no privacy on Friday evenings. We have some real messy renting situations out there!

OP - Ask the LL if you can drop the rent off somewhere on Thursdays or Fridays. As you said tell him you will be away a bit at weekends and you do not want to leave cash lying around. I don't see how he could have a problem with that....or tell him your GF is the nervous type and can't relax knowing that someone may enter the apartment at any moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭ballyargus

If you get on well with him, ring him up and say "look, I've heard there have been a few burglaries in the area over the long weekend and I was worried because we had left the rent money out for you. Is there any way we could arrange to deliver the money to you instead or pay by bank transfer? I'm really not happy to leave the cash sitting around". That way, it doesn't sound like you're berating him, but he can hardly ask you to keep your current arrangement when raised like that.

Exactly the way to raise the issue.

I'm a girl by the way. Why does everyone always think I'm male?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I blame it on the very masculine avatar you have. :pac:

It's not masculine at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

It's not masculine at all.

Apologies sir :D

I knew if that makes you feel any better!

• Advertisement

Can we get back on topic please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I wouldn't tell the landlord that you aren't sound much on weekends. Sounds like he's the type who will see that as a golden opportunity to let himself in and snoop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

athtrasna wrote: »

But sure the landlord could very easily be paying the relevant taxes etc. Some people just prefer cash. Even if you do report the landlord, Revenue can't do much if he has filed a return and under declared the income as there is no real record of the rent. All he has to do is file a some what alright return, and have back up for expenses he claims.

The easiest thing to do is to ring him up and arrange another method of delivering the cash to him on your terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

FrStone wrote: »
    But sure the landlord could very easily be paying the relevant taxes etc. .

He meant as far as being an mis-registered landlord I gathered...

Which OP explicitly stated...

So a little update on this, the landlord turned up last night after being awol for over three weeks and I asked if we could agree that he only came into the flat when we weren't here on the Friday night, he said no problem and said sorry if he made me uncomfortable and gave us €50 of the rent back for a couple of drinks. So I guess it is OK. On a side note, he said the fire inspection will be in a couple of weeks so that seems to be all above board too.

So on balance that works out in our favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

I dont get it, you told your landlord to enter your home when you arent there?

Not a big deal, I do it with my LL often as he does the gardening at a weekend a few times a year and I'm rarely there so he has permission to enter. He always rings the during the week before to let me know of course.

Have a friend who's LL enters twice a week to clean all the common areas in the house also.

Don't see the problem. Tenant is happy with it and the landlord seems reasonable about so all is good with the world.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Good result op, well done

• Advertisement

Not a big deal, I do it with my LL often as he does the gardening at a weekend a few times a year and I'm rarely there so he has permission to enter. He always rings the during the week before to let me know of course.

Have a friend who's LL enters twice a week to clean all the common areas in the house also.

I don't think it's a big deal either. Mind always calls before and asks if I mind if he goes in when I'm at work. He tidies out the back, and checks a flat roof which has had the odd problem.

I rent out a flat in Dublin and equally ask my tenants if I can go in every 2 / 3 months. Check round the patio doors, and for sighs of damp etc.

If you have a good LL relationship, and are not overly paranoid, shouldn't be a problem at all. If it were your own home you would be doing such checks, especially over the winter, so I think it is unreasonable to not expect a LL to want to

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement