Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching in Kuwait. Info or advice please!

Options
  • 05-08-2015 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

I am a primary school teacher with 5 and a half years experience. My bf just qualified as a secondary teacher and can't get a job here. I just been told I can have a late career break. We were going to go to Abu Dhabi or Dubai for a 2 year contract. I can seem to get a job with no difficult but a new thing has come in where you need 2 years experience to get a contract in the UAE even though I know a few people teaching out there who aren't even teachers. A guy from a recruitment agency told me that if I go out and my bf comes with me as a dependent, he will prob get a job when hes out there but they just wont give him the free flights etc.

So that brings us to Kuwait where we both have been told we can get an interview for a school in Kuwait city. I'm hesitant about this after looking it up on the net. Does anyone have any first hand info on living there. I know it's a dry country and quite strict and that the driving there is atrocious. I'm worried about how I will be treated as a woman. Will I be able to walk around on my own/ go shopping on my own etc. If I am buying something where bargaining is done, will I be able to haggle or will I not be listened to etc.

What do people do for fun there? My bro lives in Dubai and I know all the Irish people play Gaelic out there, even the ones with no experience of it like myself and I was wondering if there is something like this in Kuwait.

Lastly, is it dangerous to live there. I really don't know anything about it, so what I'm really asking are if political tensions are flying high at the moment over there?

Sorry for the big, long message, hope someone can help me. I would also appreciate if someone could tell me an alternative place to go where I would still make a good bit of money as a teacher and have my accommodation paid for.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wexford96

Kuwaits not bad. Which school?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Fizgig Bandicoot

Wexford96 wrote: »
    Kuwaits not bad. Which school?

Hello fellow Wexican. Thanks for your reply. The school was Gulf International School or something like that. I believe the principal is Irish. I have, however, decided not to go to Kuwait anymore. I am currently awaiting my visa for ......dun, dun, duuuunnn......Kazakhstan!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wexford96

Hello fellow Wexican. Thanks for your reply. The school was Gulf International School or something like that. I believe the principal is Irish. I have, however, decided not to go to Kuwait anymore. I am currently awaiting my visa for ......dun, dun, duuuunnn......Kazakhstan!

Oh good. Bring a coat! Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Fizgig Bandicoot

Wexford96 wrote: »
    Oh good. Bring a coat! Best of luck

Thanks! My heavy duty extreme cold snow boots are arriving in the post tomorrow.

Advertisement