Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taper for sprints?

Options
  • 05-08-2015 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

So, having knocked 12 minutes off last years time, I am now getting greedy and want to come in below 1:20.

I raced in June and my taper was poorly planned, and with work I had 2 gentle weeks before the race. I think I peaked too early and was off by 2 weeks.

What are opinions here on tapering for a sprint? My plan is to keep high intensity/duration and then for the week leading into race keep intensity but reduce duration of workouts.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭shansey

There are people that say they don't taper for sprints.. I definitely do.

For about 5-6 days before I keep roughly to my training plan but reduce the volume of each session by about 30%.

Two days out I take the day off completely and the day before get out for a short 4-5k run with some short sprints.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

It kind of depends on what you mean by "keep intensity". Firing straight into high intensity sounds like an injury waiting to happen. I wouldnt be doing 5k flat out a few days before your sprint. More like 10min warm up (low intensity), 5x1min race pace with 1 min recovery, 5-10 min warm down(low intensity). So actually most of it is low intensity.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

rooneyjm wrote: »
    It kind of depends on what you mean by "keep intensity". Firing straight into high intensity sounds like an injury waiting to happen. I wouldnt be doing 5k flat out a few days before your sprint. More like 10min warm up (low intensity), 5x1min race pace with 1 min recovery, 5-10 min warm down(low intensity). So actually most of it is low intensity.

Most of my run work is on trails and I use hill work as equivalent of speed work, so it is all high intensity intervals. Cycling is similar and swimming similar.

All advice taken on board!

Advertisement