Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ginos gelato

Options
  • 05-08-2015 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭

Pretty fancy ice cream shop, mad queues there Monday so will leave it until another date to try. Is Ginos Gelato related to Ginos Pizza in Apple market?
    The reason I ask is because it has a whole new logo and all that stuff.
    The ice cream in Ginos is amazing so if its the same type of stuff, happy days. Good to see it opening up in a place that was empty for 6+months

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭iseegirls

It really is a nice shop, and completely brightens up that area. The bulbs in the ceiling is a great idea. Pity there is no seating, wouldn't have minded trying the waffles over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭blue note

Completely different place I think. There are a couple in Dublin. They're delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

The OH had a look online and it is not related to the pizza crowd. This Gino's gelato place has stores in several places in the country.
    Looks nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Definitely no connection and the ice cream in my opinion is nowhere near as nice as that of the original Gino's in the Apple Market.

Way smaller selection in the old Gino's but I really like it... The new gino's ice cream is too soft for my liking

Will definitely be partaking in a crepe or two up there though.

Hope it does well and it's good to see somewhere new opening up

Wonder will there be any issue with both places using the same name?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I know a few people have confused the two and thought the Ginos in the Apple market had opened an ice-cream parlour with new flavours.

I used to work in the Apple market Ginos for years through school and college. I feel bad for them that there is another place selling similar product with the same name.

I am sure many people will try the new place thinking they are still supporting a local business. The new Ginos is a chain, that have stores around the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

I know a few people have confused the two and thought the Ginos in the Apple market had opened an ice-cream parlour with new flavours.

I used to work in the Apple market Ginos for years through school and college. I feel bad for them that there is another place selling similar product with the same name.

I am sure many people will try the new place thinking they are still supporting a local business. The new Ginos is a chain, that have stores around the country.

I wonder how the new place stands legally with names / trademarks etc , Ginos and Ginos Icecream have been around Waterford quite a long time so this place really brings confusion into the mix , I know I certainly tought it was the local crowd at first

I wonder how the new place stands legally with names / trademarks etc , Ginos and Ginos Icecream have been around Waterford quite a long time so this place really brings confusion into the mix , I know I certainly tought it was the local crowd at first

I am not well versed in this area. But "Gino's" is a generic name. I am sure there are a good few restaurants called Ginos around Ireland.

The owners of the Apple Market place also have one other restaurant in Cork and that has been there for years. I am sure the same thing is happening there.

I am sure the new place has a trademarked logo as they are a franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

I know Ginos Applemarket sell ice cream but it is known as a pizza reataurant. Ginos Gelato sells ice cream(the clue is in the name). Where's the confusion??

lewisdhead wrote: »
    I know Ginos Applemarket sell ice cream but it is known as a pizza reataurant. Ginos Gelato sells ice cream(the clue is in the name). Where's the confusion??

Actually they don't sell ice cream, they sell gelato. The clue is in the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

blue note wrote: »

When you say gelato, you mean the Italian word for ice cream, no??? I can see how you'd be confused now alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

lewisdhead wrote: »

In fairness most people know ginos in the apple market for both pizza and ice cream.

They even supply their ice cream to other restaurants and to shops because it is that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Ohhhhhhhhhh GELATO, I see.....!

Huh? :confused:

Gelato (Italian pronunciation: [dʒeˈlaːto]; plural: gelati) is the Italian word for ice cream, derived from the Latin word "gelātus" (meaning frozen). In English this word commonly refers to varieties of ice cream made in a traditional Italian style. Gelato can be made with milk, cream, various sugars, and flavoring such as fresh fruit and nut purees. It is generally lower in calories, fat and sugar than other styles of ice cream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Where is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Fishy1

It's in the old Monsoon shop, between Karl's hairdressers & the Dunnes Stores shop on Michael Street.

Well I think its pretty obvious. They are both called Ginos and both sell ice-cream?

Ginos Apple Market also sell ice-cream to take home and in Ardkeen supermarket. So it has a well established name for home made ice cream in Waterford and has been there for around 20 years.

Ginos Gelato signage simple says "Ginos" in large letters and "home made italian ice-cream under it" so its not obvious at all that they are completely different as the clue is not in the name.

The difference between gelato and ice cream is like the difference between a blaa and a floury bap. It's made a bit different to ice cream, it tastes a bit different to ice cream. But people will often say they're the same thing and they'll often be described as the same thing. Gelato is the Italian version of ice-cream, but it's a bit different to ice-cream.

The difference between gelato and ice cream is like the difference between a blaa and a floury bap. It's made a bit different to ice cream, it tastes a bit different to ice cream. But people will often say they're the same thing and they'll often be described as the same thing. Gelato is the Italian version of ice-cream, but it's a bit different to ice-cream.

So what do Italians call regular ice cream?

So what do Italians call regular ice cream?

Probably sh1te and they wouldn't touch it.

Probably sh1te and they wouldn't touch it.

Gelato is the Italian for ice cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Gelato contains less fat and less air than ice cream. They are different.

Gino's gelato is average at best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Just to add to the confusion, Applemarket Gino's sells its own brand of ice-cream in select supermarkets around the country too.

Algida

Maybe in the vernacular, but the only translation I can find, as an English speaker is that gelato means ice cream.

This isn't complicated lads, unless the name is protected, in the same way as Blaa, or Champagne, then it's simply a generic word which IN ENGLISH, means ice cream...

Maybe in the vernacular, but the only translation I can find, as an English speaker is that gelato means ice cream.

This isn't complicated lads, unless the name is protected, in the same way as Blaa, or Champagne, then it's simply a generic word which IN ENGLISH, means ice cream...

They probably call it American gelato or something. Like we'd call English sausages English sausages as opposed to sausages because they're different from ours.

You can be sure they have a distinction though when they're as proud as they are of gelato.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Ignoring the discussion re: ice cream vs gelato, when someone told me there was a Gino's Gelato in Waterford, I thought Gino's Pizza had opened up an ice cream shop. It was only through reading this thread that I realised they were not the same.

Gino's is an established name in Waterford that most people associate with the pizzeria. I think the possibility for confusion is high.

Advertisement