Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home backup solution

Options
  • 05-08-2015 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

Looking for an idiot proof home back up solution. Need to backup an iphone and a couple of windows laptops and tablets (mainly only documents) automatically so doesnt need to be huge. Remote login to be able to manage it would be a plus seeing as its for an extremely tech adverse family member.
    Onedrive and icloud integration also a plus.
    cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You're looking for NAS/Media Server really. I always liked Synology, they provide a very intuitive GUI with remote access that lets you install "Apps" for doing things like running an HTTP or mail server.

But if you want to get more technical you can also just manage it from SSH as it's running a Linux core.

For iPhone backup you can run it as iTunes server, so any phone on the same network (home WiFi) will automatically back itself up, and then you can also configure the machines to sync themselves with it.

That's only half the solution really though; if the house burns down you lose everything. So you need another kind of external solution. Most NAS will allow you to sync with AWS/Dropbox/etc off-the-shelf, but that can work out expensive. I'm lucky enough to have another family member with a large NAS at home, so I rsync the two boxes rather than paying for cloud storage.

Advertisement