Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guidance for Dentistry

• 05-08-2015 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

I have been looking at this career route for quite a while now and it appeals greatly to me. I am going into fifth year and will be looking to keep on top of my work and grades and will be pushing for high points.
    This is obviously a career and course that is in great demand and I would like some guidance or advice if I were to go down this route.

I will of course try my best to get Dentistry in Ireland but if that doesn't work out, where in Europe ideally is my best opportunity to get in? My friend recently did his UKCAT and wants to go to the UK. As far as I know, entry requirements there are pretty damn hard. Please give me even the smallest bit of advice you might have.

Also if you have any advice on the field itself please do let me know. Which branch/field within Dentistry is the most popular and most successful. I would like to do Orthodontics but am still open to other routes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Arthur B

We've just had discussion on Poland's Bydgoszcz that seems more and more popular for medicine and their Medical Poland, but I think they also do Dentistry.

We've just discussed Bydgoszcz in Poland for Medicine, but I think the Irish agent Medical Poland does Dentistry too. You'd need to get in touch with them.

I'm quite sure they also help with other medical disciplines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Yes I've just read some of the threads talking about this. I hear there is no HPAT type test needed for entry. But is the course/college a reputable one and if you come away after 6 years with a degree from there will it be a commendable achievement and degree?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I wouldn't worry about the standard of Polish education. Poland was doing degrees long before Ireland even had a university.

I would expect there to be an exam to be recognised in Ireland, but that is the same for a great number of degrees from other countries. It would be the same if yout trained in the US, for example.

See: https://www.medicalcouncil.ie/Registration/Infomation-for-doctors-coming-to-Ireland/

• Advertisement
Advertisement