Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Allowance Tenant - Getting kicked out of current house and can't find anywhere

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

OP slightly different situation but I dealt with a lot of students who became homeless and struggled to find anywhere accepting similar students. Demand and all that goes with it are all fair enough but the major priority here is housing those children. Ireland has a bad enough reputation regarding child welfare and children becoming homeless.

Landlords don't have a responsibility towards your sister but the children come first. If all else fails then lie. Sya you have a job, whoops I lost it now I'll need rent allowance. If anything that will give you temp security.

Another option is to check out the local housing division like to one on Parnell street. Sometimes they have a list of rent allowance accepting accommodation available.

Third and final point is that a lot of places say no rent allowance but sometimes you can make an impression on the landlord and they can make an exception.

Here's hoping things sort themselves out and good luck.

athtrasna wrote: »
    She should probably prepare for having to give up on that wish, she isn't in a strong position. There are next to no decent options accepting RA in the city council area

Well it's not her that's suffering most. It's the kids. This housing shortage crap has to end soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭vagazzled

I read this week (in the Journal) of the HSE's credit card limit being reached and as a result a family had to sleep in a car in an Industrial estate overnight. Fr Peter McVerry says there are 12 families sleeping in cars.
    Kids in cars? Thats pretty dangerous for the kids. Losing their bedrooms, friends, pets, etc must be incredibly distressing, plus they can't help but pickup on the situation. I hope that kids in cars overnight with their parents does not become an acceptable standard. Can you imagine sleeping with your partner & 3 young kids in a car?
    According to todays indo, 6 pregnant women slept rough during the week. It's like Dublin is slowly becoming 'ethnically cleansed' of the less well off, it's just too expensive to rent here as a low paid worker or RA unless you are prepared to live in a hovel, if you're lucky enough to find somewhere within the limits - I've seen sheds for rent on daft that say no RA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Well it's not her that's suffering most. It's the kids. This housing shortage crap has to end soon.

There are houses, just not everywhere. Rent allowance tenants have to accept they can't pick and choose areas they want to live in to a point when there's a housing shortage in central Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

John Mason wrote: »
    Not a hope of getting a house within the price in Finglas. The rents are ridiculous and there are only 8 houses to rent

Not even in Dunsink !!! Or similar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭slowjoe17

The "housing problem" isn't going to end any time soon, unfortunately.

We'll be talking about it for the next 5 years at least.

Fundamentally, the population of Dublin has grown faster than we've built new homes.

Essentially, we're trying to fit a litre into a pint glass now, and we'll be trying to fit slightly more next year, and the year after and the...

slowjoe17 wrote: »
    The "housing problem" isn't going to end any time soon, unfortunately.

We'll be talking about it for the next 5 years at least.

Fundamentally, the population of Dublin has grown faster than we've built new homes.

Essentially, we're trying to fit a litre into a pint glass now, and we'll be trying to fit slightly more next year, and the year after and the...

Oh I agree but on topic relating to this case I don't think that it's unfair to say the needs of the children in this case supercede any debate about entitlement around rent allowance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Taking the needs of the children into account then I think the OP's sister needs to plan long term. Unfortunately I do not think this includes remaining in Dublin 5 where according to Daft a realistic rent for even a 2 bed property will start at €1,300 (3 bed could be €1,700+) whereas the rent allowance rates for a family with three kids is €1,000. The low price coupled with the low level of attractiveness a LL has in taking in an RA tenant means that it will be extremely difficult to find a property. Thinking longterm the OP's sister should identify a place in Ireland where they can have some certainty of long term accomodation. I am thinking of places such as the midlands where the rental market is still chugging along the bottom and there is availability for RA tenants like your sister but still has decent enough schools and services.
    Best of luck to her as it is a crap situation to be in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Is she working college single etc?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Moderator note:

Guys- keep with the information the OP has supplied-and any subsequent answers. I will not tolerate anyone who tries to turn this into a social welfare bashing thread. If you want to debate the relative merits of our social welfare system etc- take it elsewhere, this is not an appropriate venue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Roger McAllen

It's looking like moving outside Dublin is the only option left for rent allowance tenants. There are beautiful properties on daft in nice communities of Westmeath/Cavan/Longford/etc who accept rent allowance. Faced with the choice of sleeping in a car with my children, or living out of hotel rooms, or moving down the country - I know which I would choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

To be honest if I had to leave my rented house tomorrow, I'd immediately look into places outside of Dublin.

There are some smashing places available for much cheaper, on commuter belts that are actually the same time travelled as what I'm doing down that ****ebag M50.

It's looking like moving outside Dublin is the only option left for rent allowance tenants. There are beautiful properties on daft in nice communities of Westmeath/Cavan/Longford/etc who accept rent allowance. Faced with the choice of sleeping in a car with my children, or living out of hotel rooms, or moving down the country - I know which I would choose.

I know but the children have no choice. It would involve a move from school for them and leaving behind any friends they have. It's not as easy as being made out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I know several people who have recently moved and have had to move their kids because if an inability to find accommodation, both RA and fully employed. It sucks and is inconvenient but it's not a blocker by any means. Kids sometimes have to move school but they bounce back pretty quick.

Also, this decision should have been made sooner, mid august is not the time to be planning school moves, the person here needs to get their act together and start thinking of the realities if the situation which is they are realistically going to have to move to an affordable location.

OP I still have access to UCD's list of accommodation. We'll send out a few emails for you to inquire regarding rent allowance in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Just curious, whats the difference between all these people being shoved into cars and B&Bs etc and the people who refuse to leave places until they have another accommodation lined up? Its not like a sheriff dragged them out. Remember that Primetime a while ago where someone from Threshold or the PTRB or somewhere told that single mother to just stay where she was and not move, even though she had all her stuff packed and was ready to go...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Thargor wrote: »
    Just curious, whats the difference between all these people being shoved into cars and B&Bs etc and the people who refuse to leave places until they have another accommodation lined up? Its not like a sheriff dragged them out. Remember that Primetime a while ago where someone from Threshold or the PTRB or somewhere told that single mother to just stay where she was and not move, even though she had all her stuff packed and was ready to go...

Who knows?

Sometimes I ask myself why do I bother playing by the rules, when this country clearly rewards those who take the piss, get an inch and take a mile, and just basically give two fingers to authority.

Bit of an exaggeration, but I'd imagine those in emergency accommodation probably followed proper process, and when it came to eviction, left like mature adults. Probably naively thinking that the state would be equipped to deal with what was going to happen(and writing on the wall for 18 months) to only get thrown into emergency accommodation.

It's a massive failure on the governments part. As with many things, put on the long finger while they dealt with nonsense. Maybe instead of people out protesting €30 water bills, if they protested about the housing crisis, we'd have some tangible action. As with most of the "crisis" with this government, they only pull the finger out when the pressure mounts. While its obvious and abundant there is a genuine problem here, other things are taking precident.

The asylum seeker stuff, provision living or whatever, has more lobbying and airtime then our own families being put up in hotels for months on end. Unless your shouting bloody murder, with a TD by your side shouting louder, this government arnt in any rush to deal with you.

And in regards to another bunch of people who are in emergency accommodation, they are people who just lost their home ownership. Again got all the letters, went through all the process, probably were mature and accepted they held a large part of the blame here. Didn't play hardball, banks rolled them over, and they accepted what was happening and handed back the keys without getting some whack job parked outside their house quoting cannon law.

to be honest I'd like to think I have a bit of pride about myself, and if something happened tomorrow where my financial situation changed and I couldn't afford my house, I'd move out promptly if requested by my landlord. That I'd be man enough to accept failings on my part, and not cause hassle for my landlord, and not have some outrageous entitlement for him to house me at a loss to him.

But then maybe I'm an outdated way of thinking. I felt embarrassed and ashamed to be on social welfare for six months, where as now you are nearly a plank if you havn't got some little swindle on the go getting an extra few bob on the sly from the social.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

I had a tenant who was on rent allowance and stopped paying rent and it took nearly a year to get him out and the day after he moved his rent allowance cheque arrived as usual and I opened it and returned it to sender with a note saying he owed me ten months rent even though he had been collecting his allowance every month. He moved into another house on the estate and is still there a year later, I have seen him there.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭slowjoe17

I know but the children have no choice. It would involve a move from school for them and leaving behind any friends they have. It's not as easy as being made out.

Kids of working people also have to change schools because of housing changes. I had to change 2 times aside from the primary -> secondary change, and grew up in three different town. Just one of those things.

There no reason why the kids of RAS tenants should be protected from this fact of life. If anything, it's a plus - their horizons are expanded, and their network of friends increased.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭pinkyponk2

OP I still have access to UCD's list of accommodation. We'll send out a few emails for you to inquire regarding rent allowance in Dublin.

Thank you so much steddyeddy that would be very much appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Paulownia wrote: »
    I had a tenant who was on rent allowance and stopped paying rent and it took nearly a year to get him out and the day after he moved his rent allowance cheque arrived as usual and I opened it and returned it to sender with a note saying he owed me ten months rent even though he had been collecting his allowance every month. He moved into another house on the estate and is still there a year later, I have seen him there.

Can this be persued without costing à fortune ?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭pinkyponk2

Paulownia wrote: »

Hi Paulownia

Its unfortunate that some RA tenants make such a bad name for the goods ones. As per my OP my sister is an ideal tenant, never misses rent payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

pinkyponk2 wrote: »
    Hi Paulownia

Its unfortunate that some RA tenants make such a bad name for the goods ones. As per my OP my sister is an ideal tenant, never misses rent payments.

True, it was the first bad experience I'd had!

Advertisement