Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brew Kettle

Options
  • 05-08-2015 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm looking to get an electric brew kettle made up myself and I'm wondering if people out there have made up similar ones, I'm looking to make one up from s/s pot of some sort, 1 or 2 heating elements. Must find out from electrical friends which is the safest to use. Drill bottom outlet and one at the top for circulation or whatever needs be. One for the element and one for a temperature probe. I spotted one on a US web sites with a very fancy idea where they put the grain in a very fine mesh circular container that fits in the pot itself and they take it out after a period of time and finish of the boil. Has someone tried something like this ? I saw a fine mesh grain bag you can get that looks like can do a similar job but not sure if it's good or not. Sorry for all the questions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

For elements you could use 2x https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/spare-kettle-element-2kw-p-1100.html

Some people use plastic ( I am one such person) but SS if you can do it is a much nicer option.

Do you plan on doing BIAB or use a mashtun in conjunction with the boiler? (edit - just saw your thread about mashtuns)

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭BPH

Not sure what my plan is with the mash tun or BIAB, I saw some neat ideas on the internet on american web sites but these look very fancy and expensive and this is something that I'm trying to do on a budget but in saying that long lasting. What set up are you using ?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Hingo

Unless you are or know a qualified electrician, I'd stick with plastic if you're looking for a DIY cheap option.. All you need to do is boil wort for an hour or so, then the jobs done. Most the American lads use Gas as it's actaully cheaper on that side of the pond, so that's why they go all out on the SS boiler

the amount of videos/post i see with people doing cowboy jobs on electric Stainless Steel kettles.... Not earthed correctly, wires exposed outside the pot .. just asking for trouble. Brewing shouldn't be an extreme sport! :P

I made my own plastic boiler using a 33l fermenter and some kettle elements from argos kettles. I reckon it cost me around €35 quid to make (includung a hop stopper and insulating the exposed wires) but the element coil is looped so close together, I find it hard to clean. the DIY Hop stopper is okay.. I didn't use a proper bulkhead, just used a tank connecter and that's also let me down. It's does the job but

If I was to make it again, I reckon I'd be in the €50 range to make it properly. but then I see this https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/33lt-boiler-pack-includes-hop-strainer-p-576.html so you might be better off just cutting to the chase and saving some hassle. You can always sell it if you want to upgrade later.

Making your own chiller now - that's a decent money saver! handy enough too!

If you really want to look into a viable Stainless Steel setup, maybe for the long term, have a look into Induction heaters and compatible pots. One of the guys from the brewing club has it going and says it's fantastic! You'd probably expect to pay something like €300 so it'd probably be something to work (save) up to.

All good info, I've decided to go onto the plastic route mainly because I was going to but S/S pot and work from home but we got an induction hob and the couple pots I looked at were not induction ready. Plastic it is for the time being, as you say if I want to upgrade I can do so. I know plenty electricians so they can sort all that out for me. My next question which I'm unsure of is the elements, what are you using at the moment if you are running a plastic set-up. I was looking at putting in 2, fast to heat up, turn off one towards the end to keep the temperature steady. I don't know whether to put in a 2.4 kw and a smaller one, maybe a 1.5 kw so to keep the temperature steady but not boil over. I have the means to power 2 elements together without causing damage so I can run 2 x 2.4 kw if needs be but I'm not sure if that's too much power (if that's such a thing !). Any thoughts appreciated and any updates on what you are using at present as well.

Yeah a lot of peeps do that. Only use two elements to get it up to a rolling boil then switch one off. The remaining one will hold a boil easily
    However power is an issue, you need to plug each one on separate circuits in the house. Also make you use proper kettle leads, they're similar to electronic leads but have a notch on the connection - go for these. Use any other wire and it'll melt after a few minutes

Edit: just read you have the means to run two x 2.4kws so not sure if that means you already have required power sources

• Advertisement

I'm familiar with the electrical loads etc and having them on separate loads, my query is as to what size elements I need to get ? Will I go for 2 x 2.4 kw or just get the one 2.4 kw and get a smaller one at 1.5 kw to keep the boil going. I'm just looking to get parts ordered and having it correct starting off and not having to change parts out after one brew. Thanks.

BPH wrote: »
    I'm familiar with the electrical loads etc and having them on separate loads, my query is as to what size elements I need to get ? Will I go for 2 x 2.4 kw or just get the one 2.4 kw and get a smaller one at 1.5 kw to keep the boil going. I'm just looking to get parts ordered and having it correct starting off and not having to change parts out after one brew. Thanks.

I'm gonna say 2 x 2.4w as any one I know with 2 elements do the same. I'm sure the 1.5kw would also wrk but I've never seen it myself. Unless someone else here has any input on the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭xbox gamer

I'd go with two 2.4kw elements. I have that set up to do biab and its great to get the temperatures up fast. When it comes to the boil, i just unplug one element and interchange both during the boil

Also, if you wanted to insulate your bucket to do biab, aldi have the reflective insulation for €15 at the moment. I have it wrapped around mine three times and only lose 2 degrees at most over an hour (which includes opening it up to stir every 15 minutes)

Good stuff, I was thinking the same myself. I spotted a website in UK that's selling 2.4 kw elememnts at a good price so I'm waiting until there back in stock before I purchase. Thanks for all the input.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭xbox gamer

BPH wrote: »
    Good stuff, I was thinking the same myself. I spotted a website in UK that's selling 2.4 kw elememnts at a good price so I'm waiting until there back in stock before I purchase. Thanks for all the input.

If you're diy inclined heres the link at how to use an argos/tesco kettle element http://www.beoir.org/index.php/articles-mainmenu-36/brewing-knowledge/equipment-mainmenu-45/136-pimp-my-kettle

• Advertisement

Hi, one last query in regards to purchasing a plastic fermentation vessel to butcher for my elements, valve etc. Will any type of fermentation vessel that's on the Irish home brew web sites suit or am I looking for something in particular.
    Type A, https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/33-litre-fermentation-vessel-graduated-p-1986.html
    Type B, https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/hb-33lt-fermenter-with-scale-lid-and-grommit-p-903.html

Thanks again for the info

They're actually both the same bucket, I've bought and used both for FVs etc.. Type A should be fine - they're what I use for my hacked kettle (as per the Beoir link) Sturdy ol' plastic and probably the same as the buckets used on the commercially made Peco Boilers

Advertisement