Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eFibre Rollout Map Long Out of Date

Options
  • 05-08-2015 5:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭

The map still tells me that my area would have eFibre last May. Are there any plans to update it as it is very clearly way out of date. 

Though last year it told me January 15 so perhaps there isn't much point in your estimates? If you've come to realise this just take the map down.

Comments

I was just about to post the exact same thing !!!

Says May for me too and it really annoys me I'm stuck with <1mb/s at peak times and 250 kb/s up, that's not broadband and it's much slower than when I got the 3mb dsl in 2005 !!!!! 

I know the upgrade has been in progress but it looks like it has finished, the cabling at least so I don't know what the hold up is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi Guys

Apologies for the delays and any confusion created as a result. I have added and passed on our feedback to online operations.

In the meantime you may find this map insightful: http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/Our_Network/

Thanks
    Al

100 Mb/s would be a lot better than the 1mb or less I get at peak times !!! but in reality how many people will achieve those speeds ?

Fibre to the door is the way to go really. Upload needs to get ,much faster also, you need 100 up and 100 down, using cloud services depends hugely on upload.

I can't wait for fibre because I've a NAS at home that I can just about stream 256 kbps mp3, mad in this day and age ! Being able to stream movies over the internet wherever go would be amazing ! 

I want control over my own data and will not pay for google drive and the likes and having my data become theirs, no way !  NAS all the way !

100 Mb/s would be a lot better than the 1mb or less I get at peak times !!! but in reality how many people will achieve those speeds ?

Fibre to the door is the way to go really. Upload needs to get ,much faster also, you need 100 up and 100 down, using cloud services depends hugely on upload.

I can't wait for fibre because I've a NAS at home that I can just about stream 256 kbps mp3, mad in this day and age ! Being able to stream movies over the internet wherever go would be amazing ! 

I want control over my own data and will not pay for google drive and the likes and having my data become theirs, no way !  NAS all the way !
    Hi Deleted User

The speed is advised as 'up to' 100Mb - a lot of things impact the speed but if you follow this link it shows a really informative graph in regards to distance from the cabinet v expected speed :)

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/fibre-broadband.html

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement

Thanks for the link Alan,

I'm less than 100 meters from the nearest cabnet so hopefully get 80+ Mbs, though the peak traffic will most likely be lower. 

Is fibre as unacceptable to contention as the crap dsl ? though contention is really only an excuse for over subscribing and failing to upgrade.

20 Mbs upload though seems a little low ?

Thanks for the link Alan,

I'm less than 100 meters from the nearest cabnet so hopefully get 80+ Mbs, though the peak traffic will most likely be lower. 

Is fibre as unacceptable to contention as the crap dsl ? though contention is really only an excuse for over subscribing and failing to upgrade.

20 Mbs upload though seems a little low ?
    No worries Deleted User

No, eFibre would not be subject to such contention, I'm unaware of the technical and network specifics to explain further but I've been able to have confirmation from our networks team that this is something you definitely should not worry about :)

20Mbs upload is the maximum upload available with eFibre but I'll pass on your feedback

Al

Funny that, The map says my area is now upgraded but when I do the line check it says I'm not in an e-fibre area ?

Funny that, The map says my area is now upgraded but when I do the line check it says I'm not in an e-fibre area ?
    Feel free to PM me your eircom account number and I'll look in to this for you Deleted User

Thanks
    Al

I know what happened, all the May 2015's have been updated to green on the map in one go. So the map is basically useless !

• Advertisement

I know what happened, all the May 2015's have been updated to green on the map in one go. So the map is basically useless !
    Hi Deleted User

Apologies for the confusion this created, indeed that area has not yet gone live. I have passed this to the attention of online operations.

Your line is connected to cabinet CDT1_001 which does not yet have a launch date agreed. As soon as I have more info on that I will do my best to let you know by PM

Thanks
    Al

Thanks Alan, 

I saw the new cabinet today, it went in last week or the week before, it's about 50 meters away but probably a bit more cable wise so should get decent speeds. 

Can only stream 196 Kbps mp3 reliably on my NAS ,oh the torture ! Imagine having to transcode 320 kbps Mp3 ? hahahaha.

Hopefully I won't have to wait much longer. 

On fibre, do they count upload and download or just download ? don't want to get stung streaming music expecially video. 

Thanks Alan, 

I saw the new cabinet today, it went in last week or the week before, it's about 50 meters away but probably a bit more cable wise so should get decent speeds. 

Can only stream 196 Kbps mp3 reliably on my NAS ,oh the torture ! Imagine having to transcode 320 kbps Mp3 ? hahahaha.

Hopefully I won't have to wait much longer. 

On fibre, do they count upload and download or just download ? don't want to get stung streaming music expecially video. 
    No worries Deleted User

Hopefully not much longer now.

The upload speeds with eFibre is up to 20Mb, but there is unlimited uploads allowed as there us with downlaod.

Thanks
    Al

Still waiting, several weeks ago the map said "6 weeks" and now it says "6 months" this is unbelievable. I was really hoping to have it by Christmas, the original date was around May !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭eir: Alan

Still waiting, several weeks ago the map said "6 weeks" and now it says "6 months" this is unbelievable. I was really hoping to have it by Christmas, the original date was around May !
    Sorry to hear this Mad_Lad

I do genuinely understand any frustration and disappointment with this - do you want to PM me your address and I'll see if I can offer a more specific timeframe? If you PM me today I'll be back to you Monday morning.

Al

eir: Alan wrote: »
    Sorry to hear this Mad_Lad

I do genuinely understand any frustration and disappointment with this - do you want to PM me your address and I'll see if I can offer a more specific timeframe? If you PM me today I'll be back to you Monday morning.

Al
    Hi Alan.

PM sent,

Thanks "again"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭eir: Alan

Thanks for that,

I've sent a request for field networks to have a look at this - as soon as I have news from them I'll let you know straight away

Al

Advertisement