Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where did you go school in Waterford?

Options
  • 05-08-2015 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭

I went to mount sion.There are some positive developments going on there which I'm happy to see.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,375 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

St Stephens and De La Salle College

went to WCFE and WIT in later life

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

De La Salle College. Hated it. When I was there late 80s early 90s, if you werent a hurler of football player then there really was nothing for you and the teachers had no time for you. Speaking of the teachers, they were a really jaded lot. You either had mad nuts going on power trips like Mr O Doherty or the old school teachers who were just cruising to retirement and had zero interest in the pupils or the curriculum. Then you had a careers counselor teacher who was completely unsuitable for the job. Couldnt wait to get out of there and when i went to WIT thats when I enjoyed study for the first time in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Mount Sion both Primary and Secondary.

Nice to see the good work coming to fruition down there with John McArdle and Bill Doherty. Nice to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Stephen's Street and De La Salle College ...... waaaay back when ....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Odats wrote: »

Nice to see the good work coming to fruition down there with John McArdle and Bill Doherty. Nice to see.

Nice to see you saying nice to see twice in one post. Nice to see.

(Dare you to say it 4 times :cool:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

I went to mount sion.There are some positive developments going on there which I'm happy to see.

Im also a mount sion survivor.
    Was there in the 80's and it was an absolute dump.Run down, no facilities and the teachers were useless.I hated the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

De La Salle College. Hated it. When I was there late 80s early 90s, if you werent a hurler of football player then there really was nothing for you and the teachers had no time for you. Speaking of the teachers, they were a really jaded lot. You either had mad nuts going on power trips like Mr O Doherty or the old school teachers who were just cruising to retirement and had zero interest in the pupils or the curriculum. Then you had a careers counselor teacher who was completely unsuitable for the job. Couldnt wait to get out of there and when i went to WIT thats when I enjoyed study for the first time in my life.

I would have been there the same time as you, and I have to say my experience was a lot better, though I can certainly identify with some of what you're saying.

The best memories I have would be to do with the choir and Brother Ben. I didn't even study music (though I had Ben for religion), but being in the choir was a great experience (especially when you'd go off to competitions where there were girls' schools!). I wasn't in any of the musicals but any of the lads who were really enjoyed them and had great memories and admiration for the people involved.

The people I had teaching me English, French and the science subjects were great for the most part. My maths teachers were decent enough too, but I do remember an awful old fashioned geography teacher and one out and out creep. A huge amount has to do with the teachers - good teachers are worth their weight in gold, and bad ones can blight your teenage years. I can see how, with a different set of teachers, my time there could have been a nightmare. Scary...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I went to shm in Ferrybank, it was pretty much St Trinnians!

Freezing, strict and traditional.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

I went to St Pauls for secondary school.

I know it has a bit of a reputation (or at least it did back then) but I found it a great school.

Some brilliant teachers out there especially my old English teacher Mr Whittle (never knew his first name!). Took his job very seriously and did a good job too albeit was a bit strict at times.

Good selection of sport out there too. Picked up both volleyball and some field athletics sports when there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Worst teacher I ever had! Thought he was cool and he could frighten us all :rolleyes:

St Stephen's and then De La Salle College. Went to WIT after that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭deadybai

I graduated in 2009 and I must say I would have wrote the exact same post. Nothing has changed including Mr.OD.
    I wouldnt recommend anyone to go there. Prison would be a step up from it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

deadybai wrote: »
    I wouldnt recommend anyone to go there. Prison would be a step up from it.
    I went there too, sh-t school. One class full of the posher lads (or from the respectable families in town) got the decent teachers. The rest of us got the sh-t ones. Nice lads from my class in primary went on to DLS but didn't complete the Leaving Cert due to bullying. Saw that bollox Br Killian recently, he used to hassle a guy in my year during lunch time. A man his age behaving like that should hang his head in shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

Mount Sion Primary and Secondary,the only school in Ireland where education was an optional extra :).Good to see the place on the up at the moment and the new astro pitches in the yards will be very welcome addition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

1967 wrote:
    Mount Sion Primary and Secondary,the only school in Ireland where education was an optional extra .Good to see the place on the up at the moment and the new astro pitches in the yards will be very welcome addition

It's really great to see, however a lot of the sustained success the school is having recently is really down to one particular teacher's initiative to take it out of 1970s.A lot of them couldn't of caring less really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

fiachr_a wrote: »
    I went there too, sh-t school. One class full of the posher lads (or from the respectable families in town) got the decent teachers. The rest of us got the sh-t ones. Nice lads from my class in primary went on to DLS but didn't complete the Leaving Cert due to bullying. Saw that bollox Br Killian recently, he used to hassle a guy in my year during lunch time. A man his age behaving like that should hang his head in shame.

I dont know what its like now but in the 90s the bullying was unreal, and that was way before all the anti-suicide and bullying campaigns we have now. I cant imagine I was the only one who hated that place due to a mixture of absolute d!ckheads and teachers who were almost as bad. I witnessed the GAA lads getting away with absolute murder and they would get their tests marked high even if they missed half the classes due to training: one teacher comes to mind, he would have been maybe mid 50s, he taught Irish on the D floor, glasses, real dull guy...Mr O Rioradin maybe? He LOVED the GAA lads!

I have to say when I saw your man O Doherty popping up on the Pieta walk to Belfast, my first thought wasnt "Fair play to him" but rather "I cant believe he is STILL a teacher", he used to love shouting and roaring in lads's faces, a real little upstart, dont know what hes like now but he wasnt fit to be a teacher back then. Having said that, despite my feelings about his teaching abilities, big kudos to him for raising money through his campaign.

Who the hell said schooldays are your happiest every days!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

Odats wrote: »

Mount Sion too (Primary and Secondary) and loved it. Couple of A-Hole teachers. Couple more on a knife edge. Couple more borderline psychotic (Christian Brothers who were straight out of Father Ted despite not being priests), but most were grand. I am curious though what is going on there lately? Last I heard the enrollments had hit the floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭JenniFurr

I went to the Mercy and St. Paul's. From what others are saying my experience at the Mercy seems to be the girls school equivalent of De La Salle. I hated the place and if you weren't into GAA/athletics or came from a wealthy enough family you may as well have been invisible. Though I would say the primary was much worse than the secondary (or at least in the 90s). There are some stories that I've heard from my era there that are pretty bad but I don't know if they're completely true.

St. Paul's was OK. A bit on the rough side but I had a good time there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Manor school primary loved every minute ,then Mount Sion Secondary a den of barely repressed savagery and violence meted out on a constant daily basis,and that was only some of the teachers. 1970's schooling not for the faint hearted,never went inside the door since the day I left.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,415 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Manor school primary loved every minute ,then Mount Sion Secondary a den of barely repressed savagery and violence meted out on a constant daily basis,and that was only some of the teachers. 1970's schooling not for the faint hearted,never went inside the door since the day I left.

its terrible to hear things like this. i know many from your generation that were abused in every sense of the word at school. the church has a lot to answer for in this regard. no wonder theres so many people with addiction and mental health problems in ireland.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Mount Sion primary and secondary, left there in early 90's as others has said, delighted to see the secondary is starting to turn things around again, thankfully teachers like John McArdle, Bill Doherty and Domo Connolly has turned things around up there now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Waterpark......... from 1968-1985. Hated every minute of it, especially the secondary school - useless teachers, elitist attitudes. There was one teacher there - wont mention his name but he taught Geography and later became the career guidance teacher - how he was ever allowed be in the same room as children is beyond me - I wont go into it but he was obviously a sick b*****d.

Makes me laugh when I hear others praise that school

• Registered Users Posts: 29,415 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

jimbojazz wrote: »
    Waterpark......... from 1968-1985. Hated every minute of it, especially the secondary school - useless teachers, elitist attitudes. There was one teacher there - wont mention his name but he taught Geography and later became the career guidance teacher - how he was ever allowed be in the same room as children is beyond me - I wont go into it but he was obviously a sick b*****d.

im sorry to hear about your experience but things do change over time. hopefully the school is a better place now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

It was John Whittle I think. He was extremely strict but very, very fair and great at his job. I think he always made up his own mind on people and wasn't influenced by reputation in the way some other teachers were. A fantastic teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭High-Tower

St. Paul`s for me too.

Some beauts of teachers back in my time e.g. Billy Womble, Hector, Chinbar and Podge Casey :):rolleyes::)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

That was me too! Coming from the Manor meant being outside the cliques. I was also a 'swot' (ie I could read and write) so there was a lot of hassle from every direction. I learned how to use my fists and ended up very wary of people. I'm not sure that was what Edmund Rice had in mind but there you go.

Fifth and Sixth year weren't too bad in fairness, a lot of the scum left after the Inter and the teachers were a lot more circumspect about disciplining testosterone-charged 6 footers.

Deise Vu wrote: »
    That was me too! Coming from the Manor meant being outside the cliques. I was also a 'swot' (ie I could read and write) so there was a lot of hassle from every direction. I learned how to use my fists and ended up very wary of people. I'm not sure that was what Edmund Rice had in mind but there you go.

Fifth and Sixth year weren't too bad in fairness, a lot of the scum left after the Inter and the teachers were a lot more circumspect about disciplining testosterone-charged 6 footers.

We probably know each other then ! I have no lasting damage other than like yourself knowing how to use my fists, but it was out of control in those days and the students were a tough bunch but mainly in response to the teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

jimbojazz wrote: »

I went to Scoil Lorcain primary mid 80s - 93. There were some good teachers there but it was fairly rough I think (although I don't have any other primary school to compare it to so it's hard to know).

I went to Waterpark Secondary from 93-99. 1993 was the first year they opened it up to the public so there was a weird mix of people who would have normally gone there and a certain new scumbag element. It wasn't too bad overall though. There were a few useless teachers there and the Principal was a bit of a bully but nothing too bad.

Funny you mention that particular teacher, I think he was there up until 96/97. I had heard stories about him only years later when I left but while he was still there he used to have 1 on 1 contact with students as part of his Career Counselling duties. I'm pretty sure I attended a few of them but didn't notice anything untoward when I was there, other that he used to smoke in his office at the time. I do remember him being ushered out fairly rapidly at the end for whatever reason, mad to think that stuff was still going on relatively recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

johnnykilo wrote: »

Funny you mention that particular teacher, I think he was there up until 96/97. I had heard stories about him only years later when I left but while he was still there he used to have 1 on 1 contact with students as part of his Career Counselling duties. I'm pretty sure I attended a few of them but didn't notice anything untoward when I was there, other that he used to smoke in his office at the time. I do remember him being ushered out fairly rapidly at the end for whatever reason, mad to think that stuff was still going on relatively recently.

Yip, he was also ushered away when I got into 2nd year - came back as the career guidance teacher of all things, where he would have one on one sessions with students - god knows what went on in that office. I still see him around and get the shivers when I see him because of what I witnessed in class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

We probably know each other then ! I have no lasting damage other than like yourself knowing how to use my fists, but it was out of control in those days and the students were a tough bunch but mainly in response to the teachers.

Leaving Cert 1978 by any chance? In fairness I still have a few friends who were Mount Sion lads for national school too so I don't want to paint too bad a picture and there were a couple of psycho teachers in the Manor too.

I still shudder at the treatment one traveller kid got when he was sent up to our class to be 'spoken to' by the principal, Brother O'Connor. MMA is for pussies, for proper out of control violence you only need a 1960's / 70's CBS education.

• Advertisement

Deise Vu wrote: »
    Leaving Cert 1978 by any chance? In fairness I still have a few friends who were Mount Sion lads for national school too so I don't want to paint too bad a picture and there were a couple of psycho teachers in the Manor too.

I still shudder at the treatment one traveller kid got when he was sent up to our class to be 'spoken to' by the principal, Brother O'Connor. MMA is for pussies, for proper out of control violence you only need a 1960's / 70's CBS education.

Brother Boland and I had an amicable man to man chat in fifth year and we agreed to go our separate ways before it all fell apart. I would have been leaving cert 77 or 78 can't really remember Rocks Roche and I never got on so I guess he won in the end.

Advertisement