Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GBBO 2015

Options
  • 05-08-2015 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭

It's that time of year again folks! I thought I'd start a thread for the post-episode analysis.

Fire up your ovens!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I think I get hungrier every year watching it - had to settle for a frozen bounty bar as no BFG 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Some interesting characters in the show this year.

I'd been hoping that Stu would get a run at it as he seemed somewhat unorthodox from the start, but he tried to be a bit too clever with his bakes. Dorret annoys me already. Ugne & Nadiya should be good for laughs.

On the cake side of things - Madeira was an interesting choice for the technical challenge as it is a fairly basic bake. The Black Forest Gateau was a cracker for the showstopper as it's my favourite cake. I would have been tasting by the fistful.

My top contenders so far - Marie, Nadiya, Flora & Tamal.

Mary is looking hot as ever. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Flora seems to be the front runner so far judging by the Daily Mail. Was glad Stu went, looked a bit too dressed up for baking.

He must had been roasting in that hat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Stu just didn't seem to have enough basic knowledge of baking to back up all the fancy stuff. Dorret annoys me too, I don't know if it was just nerves but all the over-confident talk put me off.

I made the mistake of not having any cake in the house last night. That won't happen again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭twignme

It seems that the winner's name has already been leaked, the bookies have suspended betting on the outcome. No spoilers on here please!

They should have a live final to avoid that in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

They should have a live final to avoid that in the future

I'm surprised they even take bets on it, given the fact that all the production team plus the winner's friends and family know already.

Interesting first episode, think there will be some good characters this year. Nice mix of ages as well.

My top contenders so far - Marie, Nadiya, Flora & Tamal.

Well, well, well... Poor ol' Marie had a bit of a 'mare last night. Sorry to see her go, I think that she had real potential.

It was a funny one. Nobody really stood out last night - to me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

When I saw Marie's biscuits for the show stopper I thought she'd be in trouble. They were very basic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Is it going to be bread week this week?

Yep. The showstopper is to build something out of bread.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Baguettes!

That lion...wow. Impressive.

I made baguettes today. They didn't looks like Paul's but they were delicious.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Bread week is one of my favourites and I wasn't disappointed. The signature breads were fabulous, I'd love to have tasted them.
    That lion was truly amazing, and it was no surprise that Dorret was the one to go. She'd been sailing close to the wind.

Desserts week tonight. Is anyone making anything nice for it? I made this chocolate and caramel mousse. I ended up knocking over the bowl of unwhisked egg whites and I put too much water in the caramel (I'd be very entertaining in the tent!) but it tastes nice and it's definitely setting.

Don't have much of a sweet tooth, but if I had to I'd make banoffee pie. Quick and easy, and I can pretend the bananas make it a little bit healthy. Paul has some job to top last weeks show stopper, he's set the bar very high for himself.

That mousse looks good. Oh no @ the egg whites though -I bet there'll be a few nice messes in the tent tonight too :)

I won't get a chance to make anything in advance, I'll have to hit the chocolate if it all gets too much...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Watched a bit of this last night... Crumbs but a wind torte was a new one on me. Quite a bit of faffery for an inside out pavlova!

The cheesecakes looked great though.

• Advertisement

I'd eat the windtorte but I wouldn't go to all that trouble to make one. I wouldn't mind having a go at making creme brulee after seeing it last night.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

UPC didn't record this last week for me :( Sat down to watch it at the weekend and it wasn't there :(

• Registered Users Posts: 49 aperocot

UPC didn't record this last week for me :( Sat down to watch it at the weekend and it wasn't there :(

You were "free from" GBBO so. This week is "free from" week - I guess you're ahead of the crowd.

Gluten free, dairy free, and whatnot tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Yeah the UPC series link doesn't seem to be picking it up at all so I keep having to set mine to record each week; and not much use to you now but typically it's repeated on a Sunday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

This happened to me on week 3 :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

JohnK wrote: »
    Yeah the UPC series link doesn't seem to be picking it up at all so I keep having to set mine to record each week; and not much use to you now but typically it's repeated on a Sunday afternoon.
    Mrs Fox wrote: »
    This happened to me on week 3 :(

Universal problem so. Managed to watch week 3 myself, must remember tomorrow to set it to record. I do a lot of gluten free baking so like free from weeks :)

Only got to watch 'free form' week recorded. Delighted for Nadiya. I really enjoy watching her facial expressions. Sorry to see Ugne go, she's got some brilliant exciting ideas, that might have not gone her way but not totally disastrous, I don't think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

The free-from was definitely a huge challenge. I don't think they have done that before. What a pitta they didn't go for a real gluten free bread instead of the pitta! :D I'm recording tonight's episode so I won't look in here until I catch up.

Poor Alvin, he had to go. I'd have hated to see Nadija leave although she had a very bad week. It's impossible to tell who'll win it at this stage although Mat turned out to be a dark horse.

I can't wait for next week and the pies :)

• Advertisement

I feel awful for Alvin. Constantly apologising every time he's being criticised.
    I hope Tamal makes it all the way to the final. I really like him.

Advertisement