Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excellent broadband strength but losing internet access!

Options
  • 05-08-2015 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have an issue with my internet on my laptop where I lose internet access. This happens when the signal strength is excellent and where I have connection but no internet access. I then disconnect and then reconnect and I have access again. I may lose access a short time later where I disconnect and reconnect again.

I am using a machine which is about 6 years old. I got it formatted and upgraded from Windows Vista to Windows 7. I thought that might have cleared the issue but it still exists!

Is there any way I can fix this issue myself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

Bog Butter wrote: »
    Hi, I have an issue with my internet on my laptop where I lose internet access. This happens when the signal strength is excellent and where I have connection but no internet access. I then disconnect and then reconnect and I have access again. I may lose access a short time later where I disconnect and reconnect again.

I am using a machine which is about 6 years old. I got it formatted and upgraded from Windows Vista to Windows 7. I thought that might have cleared the issue but it still exists!

Is there any way I can fix this issue myself?
    The problem could be hardware on the laptop, software on the laptop, the router itself, or environmental issues.

The first thing to clarify is whether you are losing the connection to the router, or losing the connection to the internet.

Open a command prompt, type IPCONFIG and hit enter, and make note of the Default Gateway entry for your WiFi adapter - it will look something like 192.168.0.255.

Now type PING /T 192.168.0.255 and hit enter (obviously, using your default gateway address, if it's different). You should get a constant stream of responses, about one a second saying:
    Reply from 192.168.0.255: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64

If you don't, you got one of your numbers wrong. Go back and check you tyed everything properly.

Now leave that window open, and do what you normally do on the laptop. When the error crops up again, pull that command prompt window up, and see if the PING command is still getting replies. If it is, it means that your internal network is working, and that if your internet connection is down, the problem is between your modem and your ISP, and you should start by calling the ISP.

If, on the other hand, you stop getting those Reply lines, then the problem is on your side of the router. There are a couple of different ways to approach troubleshooting at this point, but the simplest involves multiple devices - if you have a smart-phone, does it stay connected to the wifi when this problem happens? If the other devices stays connected, but the laptop doesn't, it's a laptop problem, if they both drop, it's a router problem (or "environmental issues"/interference). If you bring the laptop to a friends house, or the library, can you stay connected to the wifi there? Obviously, if the problem persists in that case, it's a laptop problem.

They're just the basic steps for narrowing down the best place to focus your efforts on. Once you're sure where the problem is, there are other things that can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I am not getting a constant stream of numbers. If I leave out the /T I get a stream of 4 entries.

The issue reoccurred and I got no entries. Several lines of messages, some of which: Request timed out. (75% loss)

The smart phone and other devices (including another laptop and an ipad) have connection so the issue is definitely with the laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

In a command prompt type IPCONFIG and in the result look for the Default Gateway. Assuming it's 192.168.1.254, type:

Ping -t 192.168.1.254

This will continually contact the router. Carry on as normal browsing the 'net leaving the command window open in the background. When you lose connection check the command window to see if the Pings are failing. Post here the exact message you get if/when it fails. If it doesn't fail even though you lose 'net access then there is some other issue.

Ken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Have you efibre by any chance?

i had a very similar issue with efibre where my laptop would lose internet connection but not my phone or chromecast.

Turned out it was a setting in the modem that was booting the laptop and was easily fixed by tech support.

• Advertisement

Thanks, it's pinging away there now.

Owryan wrote: »

Yes.

Owryan wrote: »

i had a very similar issue with efibre where my laptop would lose internet connection but not my phone or chromecast.

Turned out it was a setting in the modem that was booting the laptop and was easily fixed by tech support.

I see. I haven't tested the issue other wifi connections so I wonder if it's the router or the laptop? We'll see what happens when the issue reoccurs. There is no regularity with the problem. It might not happen for some time or it might happen almost immediately after reconnecting.

I see. I haven't tested the issue other wifi connections so I wonder if it's the router or the laptop? We'll see what happens when the issue reoccurs. There is no regularity with the problem. It might not happen for some time or it might happen almost immediately after reconnecting.

Either way hope it gets resolved for you. In my case it was the irregularity that wrecked my head, could have weeks with no drops followed by constantly doing just that.

Actually, come to think of it, I have used the laptop at work for long periods and I did not get the issue so it may well be the router. If that's the case I wonder will can eircom do something for me?

• Advertisement

I moved away from Boards.ie by opening up another window and I went on to FB. When I did this the issue occurred. I have noticed this before where the issue would occur when I was moving to another webpage or site.

The prompt command message (minus numbers) read:

Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 192...........: Destination host unreachable.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

I am not getting a constant stream of numbers. If I leave out the /T I get a stream of 4 entries.
    Sorry, in an attempt to make the command stand out I typed it in upper case, but it looks like those parameters are case sensitive, so it should be /t, not /T.

I moved away from Boards.ie by opening up another window and I went on to FB. When I did this the issue occurred. I have noticed this before where the issue would occur when I was moving to another webpage or site.

The prompt command message (minus numbers) read:

Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 192...........: Destination host unreachable.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    You were getting Reply from lines when it was working, right?

Based on Owryan's reponse I'd give eFibre a call first - if it's a problem they've heard off, they can push out a fix, especially as you don't think you saw the problem when you used the laptop at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

First point signal strength does not equate to quality. First of all test using an ethernet cable. That will show whether it's the modem or not.

You have e-fibre so that means you live in a relatively densely populated area which means there are a host of routers in range all working on the same small frequency range.

InSSIDer is a piece of freeware which you can download and run. It will show you all the wireless networks within range their relative strength and the channel they are transmitting on. There are 11 channels and to avoid overlap and therefore interference you need to have a five channel separation. I.e. channels 1,6 and 11 do not overlap.

Wireless baby alarms and other wireless devices also cause interference. Many moons ago (pre internet) I had a wireless baby alarm which used to pick up a neighbours wireless telephone handset.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

The fact you lose contact with the router - pings fail - suggests the link is failing as FSL suggests above. There is also the chance your Wireless card being a bit old might not support some of the features of your newer router. In a congested area setting to single channel (20MHz) rather than dual channel (40MHz) can help and also improve compatibility with some cards.

Ken

Hi,

I contacted eircom technical support this morning. I connected the laptop to the router via cable. I then did a speed check and my download speed was 17.27. I did a speed check with another machine, which does not have this issue, and the speed was 38.40.

I since did a speed test in safe mode connected via cable on this machine and I got a speed in the 30’s. That was this morning. I did some speed checks about 20 minutes ago, both with cable and using wireless. I consistently get speed checks around 17 connected wirelessly and I get 38 with Ethernet cable.

Does this narrow down the problem?

Also I was not losing access this morning but I am this evening.

I consistently get speed checks around 17 connected wirelessly and I get 38 with Ethernet cable.

Does this narrow down the problem?

This isn't a problem - wireless download speeds can vary widely, even by moving your laptop from one end of the room to the other. If you get 38Mbps dowloads when wired, then that's how fast your internet connection is. If you get 17Mbps doing the same test over wifi, then that's the speed of the connection between your laptop and your router. It could be faster, but it's not, of itself, an indication of a problem.

The fact that I don't get the problem when connected with a cable does that mean the problem is with my laptop and not the router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

The fact that I don't get the problem when connected with a cable does that mean the problem is with my laptop and not the router?

No, it proves there's nothing wrong with your connection. Could be interference or a hardware problem. Try changing wireless channel. As already suggested get inssider and scan to see what channels are in use nearby

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Have eircom stick you on CH13, its typically one of the more quiet ones and will work better, if all your devices support it.

AFAIR the issue i had was that the router couldn't maintain more than a few connected devices so would boot the laptop. Tech support changed this and also changed the channel and some of the channel settings. Since then i dont remember having anymore issues

HI,

I tried switching channels and the problem still exists. I made sure to switch to a channel that was not being used. Are there any other solutions I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

HI,

I tried switching channels and the problem still exists. I made sure to switch to a channel that was not being used. Are there any other solutions I wonder?

You need to be at least 3 channels away from any channel in use. Also, not all devices will show up, lots of devices can use 2.4ghz and don't conform to Wi-Fi standards, walkie talkies, intercoms, baby monitors, video senders etc. It may be worth switching to a dual band modem

You need to be at least 3 channels away from any channel in use. Also, not all devices will show up, lots of devices can use 2.4ghz and don't conform to Wi-Fi standards, walkie talkies, intercoms, baby monitors, video senders etc. It may be worth switching to a dual band modem

Dont think its RFI tbh. Reading back its the only client with issues.

OP:
    1. This could be a bad cable in the hinge, do you use it on a table or on your lap?
    2. It could be mixed mode, Ive seen this before. AP switches up to N for a second and the client losses its association. Locking it to .11b only may resolve, but thats not great for performance.

Really, at 6yo that laptop is headed towards end of life.

I use it on a desk/table mostly. I may end up leaving it connected to the router via cable if I can't get it resolved.

If you're keen to keep using it then it might be worth splashing €20 on a Wireless N USB adapter and turning off the internal one.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Windows Vista and 7 came with Wifi "Power Management" features that I have seen in the past behaving erratically. Try following the instructions here to disable these features.
    Another common reason for bad wifi performance is when older or generic wifi drivers are used. It would be no harm in checking the laptop manufacturers website and downloading and installing the latest driver available for your wireless chip

Nick

Advertisement