Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying house in Turners Cross area

Options
  • 05-08-2015 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm originally from up the country but have been living in Cork for almost 2 years. I'm well and truly at the point where I'm tired of house sharing and am seriously considering buying my own home. There are currently some houses for sale in the Turners Cross area. What appeals to me about these houses are the prices (not over the top), location and the little bit of character that they possess. What puts me off slightly is the age of the houses, and the risk for damp/subsidence.
    Can anyone advise, tell me anything you know about the area? Do you now anyone living/lived there, what are the experiences with these issues?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The houses in Fota Lawn definitely have an issue with subsidence. I don't believe any of the houses in Slieve Mish Park do, the only thing you need to be careful about are the houses that may not yet have been modernised (these should be few and far between as alot of them have been passed down or sold on) but you may find a few that need significant upgrading.

They're the only two parks I'm familiar with, the ones closer to Turners Cross (Mercier Park et al) I wouldn't know much about, apart from being bungalows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

Ring an insurance company first , then you will find out whether they will insure you or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Couple for sale in Mercier PK, nice area, need to be modernised, there was an issue with subsidence with some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

roundymac wrote: »
    Couple for sale in Mercier PK, nice area, need to be modernised, there was an issue with subsidence with some of them.

Nice area and very convenient. Very often, there's 'subsidence' and there's 'severe subsidence'. That might sound strange but if you are not going through the insurance company, the job may not be prohibitive and may not be the massive job that it might appear to be.

Advertisement