Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Kilkenny, advice on areas

Options
  • 05-08-2015 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, I will be new to the area next week and have been flat searching (for some time with difficulty) and think I have found a nice place. I just want to ask what the area is like? It is in Larchfield Court which looks lovely on google maps but when I googled the area a stabbing result came up.
    Apologies if this is a nuisance thread, I searched the forum and couldnt find a similar thread.

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

5 minute walk from the parade. 5 minute walk from the park. 5 minute walk from the watershed. centra beside the house which has a good deli for those hungover mornings.
    you be hard pressed to find a better location
    nice spot all round but never lived there

• Moderators Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭Spocker

I lived there a few years ago. Yes it was very close to town, but I could only stick the place for about three months and had to move out. We were in a downstairs flat and had some noisy neighbours (with wooden floors!). It was party central and unbearable Thursday -> Sunday nights.

That was my own experience, and just the neighbours I had at the time, your luck may be better. The advise to draw from it is to check out your above/below neighbours if you can, before signing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

It's a tough one, there's roughly 150 apartments in that complex and you might be blessed with considerate neighbours.
    I know people who lived there for years with no problems and others who couldn't stick it!
    It is very handy for town and Lidl, Aldi and Supervalu are just a short walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

Location wise it is fine, but as mentioned above, it won't be the quietest estate around weekends. Plenty of house parties and the likes. I'd be leaning towards looking elsewhere if at all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Poppy89

Thank you for all the replies.
    I'm still quite young so the noise thing doesn't bother me just yet. One thing I worry about most is safety, is it alright to walk through it at night and my car will be safe enough?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Poppy89 wrote: »
    Thank you for all the replies.
    I'm still quite young so the noise thing doesn't bother me just yet. One thing I worry about most is safety, is it alright to walk through it at night and my car will be safe enough?
    Generally Kilkenny is pretty safe by Irish urban areas of its size, it's probably safer than most as it gets more visitors than most.
    As for Larchfield ct, the usual caveats apply but in my opinion that general area is pretty good, your car should be safe there.
    My only criticism of Larchfield ct is that some of the downstairs apt entrances are around the back of the buildings; not facing onto the central areas and may not inspire confidence approaching in the dark.
    Having said that the people I knew living there lived in one of those apts never had an ounce of trouble the few years they were there.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

It's absolutely fine, Kilkenny is a very safe place generally and that area would be one of the safest. I definitely wouldn't have any hesitation living there from a safety point of view.

Advertisement