Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IM Copenhagen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Looks like the sub 10 for Abhainn will be a big ask, needs to run around a 3:10 off the bike.

Hes well capable of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Looks like the sub 10 for Abhainn will be a big ask, needs to run around a 3:10 off the bike.

He was targetting 3:10/15, hopefully he can pull it off

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Looks like he's gone through halfway in the run at 3:05 pace

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

BTH wrote: »
    Where have you booked into?? :)

We'll be looking for an apartment most likely as five of us travelling. I know gibbo booked late last year through airbnb.

Let me know if you book...I booked two near T2. Not sure yet if I'm actually entering...might just take the hit and enter through nirvana after Christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

He needs to run the next 11k under 48:27 to go sub 10... its in the bag ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    He needs to run the next 11k under 48:27 to go sub 10... its in the bag ;)

Looking like a 3:2x marathon and on for a 10:10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Looking like a 3:2x marathon and on for a 10:10.

Balls, 10:09:46 finish. He'll not be happy with that. Damn that stupid tracker.

*Edit- just to say its still a savage time, well done Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Guys, if you haven't already...book your accommodation today....booking.com already has a load of sold out areas for next year!

Up to yourself i suppose. I went with air b and b.
    Have to say I could not be happier with it. 10 min walk from the finish area. 5 min walk from the metro that brings you to Amager strand. 4 stops. 2 bed apt for 830e.

Booking.com is free cancellation. I got my austria accommodation with air b'n'b...but much closer to race date. Disadvantage of air b'n'b is you pay up front so if booking now you're booking at same time as paying for the race which is a huge chunk of cash at one time...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Ceepo wrote: »
    Up to yourself i suppose. I went with air b and b.
    Have to say I could not be happier with it. 10 min walk from the finish area. 5 min walk from the metro that brings you to Amager strand. 4 stops. 2 bed apt for 830e.

How did yesterday go for you?

Like you I used air bnb last year. Only booked it 2 weeks before the race.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

tick tock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

mossym wrote: »
    tick tock

Mont Tremblant is where the action is at:)

now the fun starts.

Gulp

now the fun starts.

Gulp

Fun doesn't start until November. It'll take me that long to pay off the entry fee before I can start training!

:cool:

pgibbo wrote: »
    How did yesterday go for you?

Like you I used air bnb last year. Only booked it 2 weeks before the race.

Hard day out there very windy made the swim choppy. Side wind all up the coast and was no real help on the way in land. Head wind then from Geels Bakke all way back to the city made things tough. It was very warm there as well about 25/26c. Found the heat hard running through the city but it wasn't to bad running up by the river as the wind cool you down.

Sound like a whole pile of excuses I know. Happy enough to be finished as the demons nearly got to me on the run.
    My splits were. Swim time was 1.08. Bike 5.19. Run 3.54. Finish 10.29. Very disappointed with my run had hoped for a 3.15 with 3.30 at worst. But that's the joys.
    Great city I have to say, expensive but great.

Mont Tremblant is where the action is at:)

definite plan to do an american race given lived over there. Love the napa region, love californian red wine, and the vineman 70.3 and full goes right through napa, past all the vineyards, and finishes where you could sit and drink excellt wine for hours. vineman 70.3 in 2017 maybe.

Hard day out there very windy made the swim choppy. Side wind all up the coast and was no real help on the way in land. Head wind then from Geels Bakke all way back to the city made things tough. It was very warm there as well about 25/26c. Found the heat hard running through the city but it wasn't to bad running up by the river as the wind cool you down.

Sound like a whole pile of excuses I know. Happy enough to be finished as the demons nearly got to me on the run.
    My splits were. Swim time was 1.08. Bike 5.19. Run 3.54. Finish 10.29. Very disappointed with my run had hoped for a 3.15 with 3.30 at worst. But that's the joys.
    Great city I have to say, expensive but great.

Sh1t, why didn't I see this before I parted with my hard earned. Wind and high temps? Thats not what I thought I was signing up for.

Sh1t, why didn't I see this before I parted with my hard earned. Wind and high temps? Thats not what I thought I was signing up for.

honest question. if you did qualify for Kona, would the conditions mean you wouldn't go?

honest question. if you did qualify for Kona, would the conditions mean you wouldn't go?

No, the cost and the wife means I wouldn't go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

No, the cost of the wife means I wouldn't go.

FYP!

• Advertisement

Have to say one of the reasons I went there was for low temperature as I done Austria in 2012 in very hot conditions and didn't want a repeat of that. Very suprised to find it that hot on the day. I believe you can get favourable wind conditions there but unfortunately they weren't favourable yesterday. 1 other thing to keep in mind when your training is it is not a flat course, while there is no real big hill there, there is approx 30k of undulating road x 2 times. But that a side if your prepared for it its half the battle.

Have to say one of the reasons I went there was for low temperature as I done Austria in 2012 in very hot conditions and didn't want a repeat of that. Very suprised to find it that hot on the day. I believe you can get favourable wind conditions there but unfortunately they weren't favourable yesterday. 1 other thing to keep in mind when your training is it is not a flat course, while there is no real big hill there, there is approx 30k of undulating road x 2 times. But that a side if your prepared for it its half the battle.

Cheers, I'll be doing my training for it in Connemara, so I'll be well abloe for wind and undulating roads :D

Cheers, I'll be doing my training for it in Connemara, so I'll be well abloe for wind and undulating roads :D

That will help for sure. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Only 600 slots left apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

We were probably a bit unlucky with conditions on the day.

Day before was slightly cooler and yesterday was overcast, 20c and lighter winds.:rolleyes:
    I found the swim good, water temp was reported 20,8c, the positioning of the distance markers on the bridges (500m, 1100, 1200, 1800, 2700 & 3000) were great. I swam a low 72 which was around what I expected thought sub 70 might have been within reach.
    Scenic wise the bike course was great. I had expected road surfaces to be much better, pace was hard to maintain along the 30k on rolling country roads on each lap, lot of junctions too and section of cobbles wasn't nice. I had to get off the bike 3 times to retrieve bits that had fallen off; front water bottle & C02 pump which cost me 2 mins. Managed a 5:26, thought a 5:15-5:20 might have been possible. It definitely would have been manageable if wind was less and not having to make those stops.
    The atmosphere was great coming into T2.
    Run itself was a lovely route through the city but it was bloody tough on tiring legs. There were many changes in direction, cobbles and sneaky hills but it was probably the heat that caught out most with 26c recorded. There were only 2 that ran sub 3 on the day.
    With 6:48 on the clock out of T2 a 3:12 marathon would see me home
    I found my running legs easily and got into a comfortable rhythm. Seeing avg pace was sub 3 going through 10k I forced back pace. Half way in 1:33 but by 22k my quads were shot and in bits. Even having 1:34 to see me home for the last 19 k I knew then sub 10 was probably beyond my reach for the 3rd time.! I was resorted to jogging pace from then on. Each aid station was the same, sponges , drink water, drink coke, more water, jog again. I never ran so slow.
    The course was very congested now but crowds brilliant. I kinda enjoyed the last k. I had the final run in to the finish all on my own, no one in front of me which was nice. I won't forget those last 50m
    Run 3:22.
    Overall 10:09

I booked airbnb too. Great central apartment near Tivoli but too close to it. They have massive fireworks there on this Sat. I was conked in bed but awoke to 20 mins of Beirut at midnight.
    I echo Ceepo (great meeting you lad:)) in that Copenhagen is very expensive, but flights were cheap with 4 different airlines going there now.

given ye had it on a windy day, either of you use a disc and would you say it was disc friendly given the wind?

Be Nirvana for me if I do this then...so Copenhagen is unlikely then as I had a glance at them for Frankfurt to get idea of prices and it's crazy.
    Presumably it isn't possible to get just race entry through Nirvana, you have to go whole package? Their accommodation packages are fairly expensive...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Hard luck Joe - Although I expect you wont give up till you get it!

Will you do the same again and skip a year before you tackle another one?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭delboyfagan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

given ye had it on a windy day, either of you use a disc and would you say it was disc friendly given the wind?

Can say about the disks though there were plenty around. I rode on 808's and it was fine
    catweazle wrote: »
    Hard luck Joe - Although I expect you wont give up till you get it!

Will you do the same again and skip a year before you tackle another one?

I promised myself and Sarah this was going to be my last one. Immediately after the race I was 110% with the decision.
    Just too much on now and kids the age they are at. It was really tough post London squeezing in the training for this one. I only started biking for this in early May; swimming was a little better back in mid March with a swim or two a week.
    The BLUE TT isn't on Done deal yet though

Next year is all running with eye on Perth in Nov and World Vets Marathon championships

Advertisement