Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Break Times at Work

Options
  • 05-08-2015 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me if it's acceptable to work 8 hours a day, Monday to Friday and get just half an hour break in between?? It doesn't feel right!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Volovo

They should at least give you the weekend off I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

Can anyone tell me if it's acceptable to work 8 hours a day, Monday to Friday and get just half an hour break in between?? It doesn't feel right!

Google "the organisation of the working time act 1990". Most employers give a little extra time asa "gesture of good will" but that act should have all your enentitlements in it! Is there a union in your company? If so, then your union rep will be able to answer your questions!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yes it's acceptable half hour break is due after six hours unless you are working in retail between certain hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

I think you might be entitled to a short 10 minute break as well, but not 100% sure

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I think you might be entitled to a short 10 minute break as well, but not 100% sure

I after four and a half hours it's 15 minutes after six thirty which can include the first fifteen then another fifteen after another four and a halfhours

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

By law, I think its at least a 15 min break every 4 hours. I used work 12 hour shift and get a 15min break plus 25 min lunch break. Consider yourself lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Details here...

(3Ws).citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/hours_of_work/rest_periods_and_breaks.html

Insert the www at the start, can't post links

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Stheno wrote: »
    I after four and a half hours it's 15 minutes after six thirty which can include the first fifteen then another fifteen after another four and a halfhours

This OP. Yes 8 hours with 30 minutes is perfectly fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

This OP. Yes 8 hours with 30 minutes is perfectly fine.

Depends on where they work tbh.

If they work in retail, and their 8 hour shift encompasses the hours between 11.30am and 2.30pm, they're entitled to a 60 minute unpaid break before 2.30pm, if I remember correctly.

If they work in retail, and their 8 hour shift encompasses the hours between 11.30am and 2.30pm, they're entitled to a 60 minute unpaid break before 2.30pm, if I remember correctly.

Correct, it's the one exclusion that applies, they must get a one hour break
    Shop employees who work more than 6 hours and whose hours of work include 11.30am-2.30pm are entitled to a one hour consecutive break which must occur during those hours.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/hours_of_work/rest_periods_and_breaks.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Working a factory for the summer. 8 hour shifts. Allowed 2 * 20 mins breaks

I thought these went out during the debacle with employment agreements. I'm open to correction but I'd be dubious on putting too much stock into these old union agreements until that was checked.

IIRC it was any shift encompassing those hours (basically to stop retailers employing a lunch shift).

Working a factory for the summer. 8 hour shifts. Allowed 2 * 20 mins breaks

Actually illegal believe it or not.

Although the break after 6 hours can encompass the first 15 minute break you can't give 15 then 15. If you give 15 in the first 4.5 hours you have to then give 30 after 6 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I thought these went out during the debacle with employment agreements. I'm open to correction but I'd be dubious on putting too much stock into these old union agreements until that was checked.

IIRC it was any shift encompassing those hours (basically to stop retailers employing a lunch shift).

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/hours_of_work/rest_periods_and_breaks.html

Still valid as per citizensinformation.ie for shop workers.

Actually illegal believe it or not.

Although the break after 6 hours can encompass the first 15 minute break you can't give 15 then 15. If you give 15 in the first 4.5 hours you have to then give 30 after 6 hours.

Not according to citizens information link above?

Stheno wrote: »
    Not according to citizens information link above?

Citizens advice can and do get it wrong. I'm open to correction on the ERO side of things, perhaps the hour is still valid for retail workers, however:

12.—(1) An employer shall not require an employee to work for a period of more than 4 hours and 30 minutes without allowing him or her a break of at least 15 minutes.

(2) An employer shall not require an employee to work for a period of more than 6 hours without allowing him or her a break of at least 30 minutes; such a break may include the break referred to in subsection (1).

(3) The Minister may by regulations provide, as respects a specified class or classes of employee, that the minimum duration of the break to be allowed to such an employee under subsection (2) shall be more than 30 minutes (but not more than 1 hour).

(4) A break allowed to an employee at the end of the working day shall not be regarded as satisfying the requirement contained in subsection (1) or (2).

The legislation is clear. A 30 minute break may include the 15 but there is no provision for 2 15 minute breaks. There is also no provision to allow an employer to split the period into 2 x 4.5 hour blocks allowing for 2 x 15 minute breaks.

Advertisement