Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sole trader on BTWE allowance

Options
  • 05-08-2015 8:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 332 ✭✭

I set up my business in October last year and while my main business has been slow, my sideline has been flying. I've been earning between 500-1000 euro a week in a handyman business and have a few questions.

I've been informed I'm tax free in my earnings for 2 years while on this back to work enterprise allowance. I always thought it was tax free just on my BTWEA that I get paid into my bank from the dole office every week.

If I am liable for income tax, can I leave it until the 2nd year of trading before I file my tax return. Reason being I want to save costs for paying an accountant.

If I do pay income tax, is there any other hidden taxes I've to pay. Will i be liable for PAYE and if so, how does that work.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

you're income tax free (not prsi or usc) for two years up to €40 k of income
    but get an accountant to set you up so that you don't miss organising this benifit efficiently

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 332 ✭✭mcneil

Tigger wrote: »
    but get an accountant to set you up so that you don't miss organising this benifit efficiently

Am I income tax free if its not part of the main businesses I set up through this scheme. I've put it down on my application form that if my business is slow, I can do other work for income.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Tigger wrote: »

If you're supplying a service or selling remotely, then the VAT registration thresholds are somewhat low ... 35k in one case. And that's a threshold for revenue, not profit.

If your turnover is getting anywhere near this, then an accountant is essential anyways.

ref: http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/guide/registration.html#section2

Advertisement