Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Block Boundary Wall

Options
  • 05-08-2015 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking to build a block boundary wall between myself and the neighbour. Only a rickety broken-down fence in between at the moment.

Could you offer suggestions what the price it would be for 100ft wall, approx 5ft high (I plan to put trellis fencing about it to bring it up to 8 ft approx., I don't want/need capstones, and I'd like my side rendered.

Also, any comments on height would be appreciate (higher or lower) and what sort of foundation depth would I need, and how much earth either side should be cleared before we start.

Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

karlitob wrote: »
    Hi all,

Looking to build a block boundary wall between myself and the neighbour. Only a rickety broken-down fence in between at the moment.

Could you offer suggestions what the price it would be for 100ft wall, approx 5ft high (I plan to put trellis fencing about it to bring it up to 8 ft approx., I don't want/need capstones, and I'd like my side rendered.

Also, any comments on height would be appreciate (higher or lower) and what sort of foundation depth would I need, and how much earth either side should be cleared before we start.

Thank you.

Bringing it to 8 feet high requires planning permission.
    Keep it to 2m maximum.
    The wall needs to be structurally sound and will need piers every so often. A rule of thumb for the foundations is 3T (three times the thickness of the wall) and go at least 350mm deep or to good ground and reinforce with a393 mesh or similar approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭karlitob

kceire wrote: »
    Bringing it to 8 feet high requires planning permission.
    Keep it to 2m maximum.
    The wall needs to be structurally sound and will need piers every so often. A rule of thumb for the foundations is 3T (three times the thickness of the wall) and go at least 350mm deep or to good ground and reinforce with a393 mesh or similar approved.

Thanks for that. I didn't realise that planning might be needed. Or at least, I didn't think the trellis would matter if the wall was low enough. Sound advice - appreciate it.

Any idea of cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,467 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

legal stuff
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2009/en/act/pub/0027/sec0043.html#sec43

as kc: eg:
    4" solids on flat with piers and expansion joints about every 6 meters.

if some of wall is out front of building line then its 4 fee high max without planning, which bis not usually given

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

legal stuff
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2009/en/act/pub/0027/sec0043.html#sec43

as kc: eg:
    4" solids on flat with piers and expansion joints about every 6 meters.

if some of wall is out front of building line then its 4 fee high max without planning, which bis not usually given

Thanks again. Its for the back yard - Approx 100ft.

Appreciate any input on cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Boundary wall. Personally I'd confirm where that boundary is before replacing old with new but then that's the surveyor talking in me.

• Advertisement

irishmover wrote: »
    Boundary wall. Personally I'd confirm where that boundary is before replacing old with new but then that's the surveyor talking in me.

Understood. Will essentially be replacing what is already there. Changing from broken wooden fence and wire fencing to brick. Will be sure to have neighbour onside and including in all discussions before even considering beginning. We get on well.

Also really hoping for a sense of the price.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

karlitob wrote: »

Also really hoping for a sense of the price.

I recently was quoted ballpark €1100 for 10.5m length in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,467 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

kceire wrote: »
    I recently was quoted ballpark €1100 for 10.5m length in Dublin.

This also depends on easy of access and what else is there in the way such as mature shrubs trees etc that might need removing/replacing etc

If a decent machine can be got in with a meter wide bucket and easy dumping in a skip etc thats one price.
    A man with a shovel and wheelbarrow, or two, well: sceile eile

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement