Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lights Buzzing and a Specific Gremlin

Options
  • 05-08-2015 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

I have recently moved into a new workspace and I have noticed that every light fitting buzzes when switched on. The bulbs look to be something along the lines of these.
    fishtankpet_compact_fluorescent_light.jpg

The emergency exit lights also buzz. Basically, every bulb in every room. What would cause this and how would it be fixed? My business is sound engineering, and a 50Hz buzz in the background isn't ideal.

Secondly, when I switch on all the lights in the room, one of my pieces of equipment loses connection with the computer. This is just for an instant. Any idea of the craic here?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Your problem is ballast noise

http://www.fuzionlighting.com.au/technical/ballasts.php

You will probably need to change all the fittings

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭GTE

Your problem is ballast noise

http://www.fuzionlighting.com.au/technical/ballasts.php

You will probably need to change all the fittings

That makes sense as all the lights would have gone up at the same time and are of the same type. I would assume the green emergency exit signs would have the same issue?

Is it a big cost to change the ballasts? Could I simply switch the bulb to an LED?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Cost will obviously depend on type, size and amount of lamps to be replaced.

You could just change the ballasts to electronic ones, but the labour costs might be more than the cost of complete fittings.

When pricing replacements be aware that you may have some fittings may be wired as emergency fittings and will have to be replaced with similar standby equipment.

The emergency light has probably a ballast too as you suspect, it would definitely be easier to replace completely rather than mess around with its circuitry.

I recommend getting a couple of quotations from a few competent contractors, preferably ones with experience in dealing with a complicated environment like your situation demands.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Switching the lamp to an led is not a great idea. There is too much of a compromise in the difference between the electronic components. Ive seen some led lamps for fluorescent ballasts that require the installer to disconnect components in the fittings. From a warranty and safety point of view this is not good.

You'd be better changing the complete fitting to an led fitting and lamp

But if I was you I'd select a noisy fitting and replace just one first. Make sure you are satisfied with the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭GTE

Thanks for the posts. Ill look into it. There are certainly two fittings which are louder than the rest, I'll see how they react.

Regarding the exit sign, it turns out it is not an emergency exit, officially. Its just an exit into an enclosed outside space with high walls. It turns out the inclusion of the light was a mistake when the building was being refurbished.

Given that its just a mistake of a light, would there generally be a switch inside the unit to switch it off? Or would it be at a circuit breaker (and likely switch off the other actual exit light elsewhere in the property).

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

bbk wrote:
    Given that its just a mistake of a light, would there generally be a switch inside the unit to switch it off? Or would it be at a circuit breaker (and likely switch off the other actual exit light elsewhere in the property).

Well if it was an exit sign it would need to be maintained. The only time it would be off is when the building is empty, then it would be switched maintained, it would need to be on a key switch with the main lights at the entrance to make sure it's on when the building is occupied. Usually they are on 24/7 though

However if it's not in the correct place just remove it. You'd never have a need to switch it on it sounds possibly dangerous if it does not signpost the way to a safe zone for occupants in the event of power outage

Why wound you want it on at any stage? They are only signage and in very few cases they contribute to emergency lighting.

The emergency lighting needs to be on a ctu. You can't just have it on a breaker.

Do you have your emergency lighting checked 4 times a year ?
    A proper check wound highlight these things . It is the building owners responsibility to arrange to have periodic inspections

Advertisement