Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 360 and windows 10 - media centre alternative?

• 05-08-2015 9:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭

I have an old pc, running windows 8.1, that streams movies to an xbox 360 via windows media center. If I upgrade it to windows 10, media centre gets removed.

Has anyone any idea what alternative, if any, application can be used to continue streaming movies to the xbox 360? This is a kids xbox and we use it a lot for streaming movies...

Comments

One word - Plex

Will work better than media center imo, just install the server on the PC (it's free) no need for a client on the one or 360 they can see the sever and play files from it as is.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Another vote for plex, it's a fantastic piece of software.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

Installed Windows 10 on my wife's laptop and it looks like all the media streaming duties in Windows 10 is handled inside Windows Media Player, you can select stream and it show all devices that can be streamed to on your network.

Tested it with a few videos and it worked fine, but I would have to agree with Enfilade Plex will be easier to deal with to be honest.

Installed Windows 10 on my wife's laptop and it looks like all the media streaming duties in Windows 10 is handled inside Windows Media Player, you can select stream and it show all devices that can be streamed to on your network.

Tested it with a few videos and it worked fine, but I would have to agree with Enfilade Plex will be easier to deal with to be honest.

Forgot about that feature in Windows 10, you don't actually have to open media player you can right click on a video and choose cast to device and it will show any it's found on the network like an xbox or smart tv, handy if you don't want to set up additional software etc. down side being you have to be at the computer to start and pause etc.

Advertisement