Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League 2015/16: New Rulings

• 05-08-2015 9:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭

It's not exactly a major overhaul but the new offside rulings are quite interesting. I wonder how long it will take for the refs/linos to balls it up.

Few key points from the BBC website:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33783861
    As the English football season gets under way this weekend, players and staff will also have to come to terms with new disciplinary rulings, offside decisions and a brand new ball.

The biggest change in discipline sees players who feign injury to get an opponent sent off facing the prospect of being penalised themselves - while managers must adhere to a written code of conduct.

In an attempt to clarify the offside rule, new guidance means that players' "attempts to play a ball" or "impacting on an opponent playing the ball" from an offside position will now be flagged.

That link I've posted has some graphics which explain the new offside ruling further.

Regarding players surrounding refs, I want to see refs dish out more yellow cards for it. They tried to implement something like this before and players still swarm the ref.

A few yellows and reds would put a stop to it and referees shouldn't be afraid to stamp their authority all over it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

That_Guy wrote: »
    Regarding players surrounding refs, I want to see refs dish out more yellow cards for it. They tried to implement something like this before and players still swarm the ref.

A few yellows and reds would put a stop to it and referees shouldn't be afraid to stamp their authority all over it.

I would be very much in favour of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Tbh football should just adopt the rugby approach and Captain only allowed speak to the ref. The way players treat the officials these days, in particular those from the England international team, is a huge negative in terms of the image it gives to youngsters that its fine to mouth off, remonstrate and generally act aggressively towards officials.

That being said, the standard of officiating has been fairly horrendous in recent years so while you can't condone it, you can understand it somewhat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Is that actually a change to the offside rule? It's more of a clarification surely? Last season, it was noted as a player interfering in play. This just simplifies that further. Doubt it'll change anything though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

brevity wrote: »
    I would be very much in favour of this.

It would be great. Clubs would have to stamp it out too as they'd continually get fined for not controlling players if there were a few bookings in one go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

They need to get the 'player clearly interfering with the goalkeeper by standing in front of him in an offside position' thing sorted big time IMO.

Unfortunately it seems that will still be allowed to slide as long as the player doesn't make a clear attempt at playing the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

cson wrote: »
    Tbh football should just adopt the rugby approach and Captain only allowed speak to the ref. The way players treat the officials these days, in particular those from the England international team, is a huge negative in terms of the image it gives to youngsters that its fine to mouth off, remonstrate and generally act aggressively towards officials.

That being said, the standard of officiating has been fairly horrendous in recent years so while you can't condone it, you can understand it somewhat.

I swear they brought this in a few years ago, and it was roundly ignored and not enforced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,649 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Love to see stiffer ( financial ) penalties on player and club for swarming the ref and its gonna happen unless the rugby approach, or similar, is taken but i think that means having refs mic-ed up.
    It'd be great at the start !
    F••k you etc etc

It's completely ridiculous too, when do you see the ref change his mind? Never.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

cson wrote: »

Its easier in rugby as all players are going to be close enough to the play, but if you have a keeper as captain having him run to the oposition penalty box to discuss a decision or a striker as a captain having to run to his own penalty box would cause issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

It's completely ridiculous too, when do you see the ref change his mind? Never.

it's not about getting the ref to change his mind, it's about getting him to not make the same mistake again (mistake or not), and to put doubt in his head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

it's not about getting the ref to change his mind, it's about getting him to not make the same mistake again (mistake or not), and to put doubt in his head.
    Correct. It's about making life as difficult as possible for the ref when he gives a decision against your team so he's less likely to do it in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Diving, fix diving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Diving, fix diving

Too controversial.

I get what you mean, and it might be effective, but for me that would just turn the ref against you with that carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Diving, fix diving

It would have to be retrospective and it would have to be very obvious dives for it to work.

I would also include shirt pulling and what I find is the attacker goes to ground when there is a tug on the shirt as its the only way they are getting a free.

Advertisement