Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overcharged by Upc.

Options
  • 05-08-2015 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

So upc have overcharged my months bill its supposed to be €25 a month but are charging me €133. I called their customer services was on phone for over 2 hours been bounced around from different departments too be told that its our fault but you still have to pay the €133. I want too cancel but been informed on the phone a €200 cancellation fee will apply then too be offered the same package too stay at €45 a month. Can I cancel upc without paying the €200 cancellation fee? Only entered new contract 2 months ago.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

How many months have they taken the extra?. Under sepa rules you can go into your bank and tell them to reverse any overpayed DD's. Then cancel the direct debit and pay UPC by paypoint or in the post office every month. They do have a charge for non DD payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭jvrk

It would equate to 5 months bill been taken at once I didn't pay yet but have canceled my dd. Its due to be payed next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

jvrk wrote: »
    It would equate to 5 months bill been taken at once I didn't pay yet but have canceled my dd. Its due to be payed next week.
    have you cancelled through online banking or in the branch? sometimes cancelling a DD online leaves the company the option to change the debit and resubmit it.

send them an email demanding a full statement and inform them that any incorrect amount/charge must be sorted out with a new correct bill within 10 days or you will consider them in breach of their obligations and the contract will be voided without penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

UPC are on boards, you could try messaging then in the talk to section.

Other wise go to the contact section on the UPC website and make a formal complaint. As in send a message but make it'formal complaint'and ask for a final response.

Give them 14 days to reply with the correct billing amount or you will cancel.

Once you have this final response, you can proceed to COMREG. If your claim is upheld with COMREG, you won't have to pay the 200 cancellation fee.

Warning though, of you recall a dd from upc, they will add a 50 euro charge, this happened to me, I'm in the process of making a complaint to COMREG about this.

I have emailed a complaint as recommend. If the ask the upc section is anything like there customer care then id be wasting my time but I will try them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@jvrk - Do you want me to move this thread to the Talk to UPC section?

@wmpdd3 - Please do not suggest starting another thread on the same topic. Instead use Report Post to highlight to a moderator that a thread might require moving to another forum. Otherwise we end up with duplicate threads on the same topic.

dudara

dudara wrote: »
    @jvrk - Do you want me to move this thread to the Talk to UPC section?

@wmpdd3 - Please do not suggest starting another thread on the same topic. Instead use Report Post to highlight to a moderator that a thread might require moving to another forum. Otherwise we end up with duplicate threads on the same topic.
    dudara
    I posted in ask upc sorry about this but you could either delete this thread or the other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@jvrk - We can leave this thread here, since you've already started another thread. If you're not getting satisfaction from the Talk to UPC reps, then feel free to start up the conversation here again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Call comreg about starting a complaints procedure. They will help you go after UPC

Now upc is claiming because they had to give me a separate modem for internet as the 2 diffrent horizon boxes I got was faulty and internet was not working in either of them. Is the reason for the higher charge and I still have too pay this cant be right as they gave me faulty equipment that was not fit for purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

jvrk wrote: »
    Now upc is claiming because they had to give me a separate modem for internet as the 2 diffrent horizon boxes I got was faulty and internet was not working in either of them. Is the reason for the higher charge and I still have too pay this cant be right as they gave me faulty equipment that was not fit for purpose.

Weird. I've noticed both with myself, and a few people I know, we all got €80 charges two months ago for a modem.

UPC were basically calling existing customers offering a service that provided free Horizon for the year, internet and phone remain, and lower monthly charge. So I signed up, as did people I know.

I specifically outlined I would not be using the horizon for internet, and keeping my internet infrastructure. Had a very clear phone call, where the sales rep discussed with a manager about keeping my existing network infra, who said it was fine.

Yet I still got a €80 charge itemised as a modem. Rang up to query what the ****, and while they couldn't really tell me why I was charged it( I was keeping my infrastructure, and the horizon box was stipulated as free) in the end they just put it as credit on my account, so my next two bills wont cost me a penny.

Weird one though, like I said, myself and three others I know had this happen. Brought bills in excess of €100 and they weren't so quick to offer a refund. I was somewhat happy with the credit, but it was a slog to try get it sorted with various staff not knowing what the initial sales rep had done.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Weird. I've noticed both with myself, and a few people I know, we all got €80 charges two months ago for a modem.

UPC were basically calling existing customers offering a service that provided free Horizon for the year, internet and phone remain, and lower monthly charge. So I signed up, as did people I know.

I specifically outlined I would not be using the horizon for internet, and keeping my internet infrastructure. Had a very clear phone call, where the sales rep discussed with a manager about keeping my existing network infra, who said it was fine.

Yet I still got a €80 charge itemised as a modem. Rang up to query what the ****, and while they couldn't really tell me why I was charged it( I was keeping my infrastructure, and the horizon box was stipulated as free) in the end they just put it as credit on my account, so my next two bills wont cost me a penny.

Weird one though, like I said, myself and three others I know had this happen. Brought bills in excess of €100 and they weren't so quick to offer a refund. I was somewhat happy with the credit, but it was a slog to try get it sorted with various staff not knowing what the initial sales rep had done.
    On the bill there is no charge for the modem just full amount for the service. I'm getting nowhere with them on the issue of the bill all there saying is next month will be normal price after you pay this bill outstanding that's not the agreed amount when they called me to upgrade my plan 2 months ago.

Advertisement