Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gdansk Poland for long weekend

Options
  • 05-08-2015 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Can't seem to find any threads on here bout Gdansk. Thinking of heading there for October bank holiday weekend for cheap break away. Was there in 2012 for euros and remember it being nicest part of Poland we were in by far but memories of the place is bit hazy with all the drink consumed. Can anyone recommend a good place to stay or things to do there? Would it be busy with tourists at that time of year as temperatures will be much lower than they are during summer months.

Any help much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Hope it is OK to bump up this post, as it is the most recent I could find about Gdansk.
    I am heading there next week-end for three nights, have sorted accommodation and am now looking for tips on restaurants and things to do.
    Many thanks in advance !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The weather should be nice at this time in Gdansk. Looking like low to mid 20s next week.

Gdansk is still a lovely spot, regardless of the weather. Lots of great restaurants in Gdansk itself, or you could take the short trip out to Sopot (lots of restaurants, especially fish ones). Sopot is the place this time of year for late night jazz bars, beach parties etc.. The northern coast is where many Poles go on their holidays.

Lots of interesting bars in Sopot. I'm a fan of the Blue Poodle Coffee Bar - interesting decor, nice food.
    The pier in Sopot is worth walking, there's also the Crooked house to go see.

For just lounging about, wandering from bar to coffee shop, Gdansk is great. Make sure to try traditional Polish food while you're there. Food like pierogi which are small ravioli-like dumplings. The best place is Pierogarnia u Dzika on Piwna street - any town with a street called Beer street you know is going to be fun.

Further afield you could visit Malbork castle, though you'd probably have to devote most of a day to it. There are lots of museums and great galleries - also Stutthof Concentration Camp - a great deal depends on your own interests. Quality (and really cheap!) classical music concerts, jazz all over the place - a great place for holidays.

Thanks so much, Spurious !
    Looks like I will be busy there.
    Ah, pierogi are great, a colleague of mine is Polish and once brought them in work for us to taste. Yum !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Don't know how I forgot it, the 'Solidarity Museum' (European Solidarity Centre) is well worth a visit.

My long week-end in Gdansk is sadly over, and have to say: what a great place !
    The architecture is stunning, it is a pleasure to discover the streets in the historic centre.
    And the river front and new marina are really a great place to watch the world go by (or rent a pedal boat...)

There was more than enough in the city to keep me there, so did not do any day trip, except the boat trip to the Westerplatte peninsula which is where WWII started.
    Went also to the Solidarnosc museum which (I agree !) has state of the art interactive displays (English text everywhere, and audioguide of course).

The annual market of Saint Dominique was on, with a lot of good quality crafts.
    Already knew Pierogi, so made sure to have some there, and they were lovely.
    Lots of restaurant options from fast food to fine dining.
    Very keen prices.
    All vendors seemed to prefer card payments instead of breaking a 100 zloti note (which is only 25 euro !)

Again, great city for a week-end.
    I would go back and really recommend it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement