Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any idea what this is?

• 05-08-2015 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi there
    I spotted this insect near Dungarvan a few weeks ago.
    I've never seen one before and I haven't a clue what it is?
    It was about 5 - 6cms long.
    I reckon it was a tree dweller because of its claw/feet. Also when it got to a piece of timber on the top of the wind-breaker it kept going around it like it was trying to find a way further up.

Thanks

N

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

That is a Maybug, aka Cockchafer. They are a type of beetle. The one you have there is a male.. those big antennae are a feature of the males.
    They fly in May, but like everything else were probably a bit late this year due to the cold spring. I have rather a soft spot for these fellas... terrors for flying into windows with a big thud!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 niallsan

Thanks DBB

Jeez, I've never seen one before then. Thanks for that.
    I have another pic of a beetle type insect that I found in the kitchen. Maybe you can identify it? It was 2013. Pics a very poor quality, sorry.

N

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Looks like a Carrion Beetle of some sort... there are a few species of it in Ireland :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 niallsan

Yes I think that looks like the amber and black ones on a google search....thanks for your help.

N.

Advertisement