Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eastern European catroons,weird shorts and schedule fillers.

• 05-08-2015 9:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭

Anyone remember in the good old days of the 70s and 80s when if there was a gap of a few minitues to fill in tv schedules they'd fill it with stuff like the Kraftwerk Autobahn animated clip or Butterfly Ball,with that Ronnie James Dio song .Also weird Czech and Hungarian cartoons with no dialogue and one off animation shorts by The National Film Board Of Canada.Have to say I miss that stuff,it made for some idiosyncratic viewing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Two of my favourites there - Autobahn and Butterfly Ball which was by Roger Glover.

When I start my film channel (after I win the lottery) I will make sure to fill those awkward gaps where the film ends as 10 to the hour with exactly this sort of thing. Just have to be careful to avoid anything that features a disgraced sex offender! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

This was a trippy one-off which I only remember seeing shown once but I never forgot it.

Another one which used to be shown a bit was this stop motion animated thing which I think might have been Eastern European.It showed these clockwork toys,racing cars,wind up insects(maybe ladybirds) and other things competing in a race.A clockwork crocodile then started randomly attacking and eating them as they went around the track.It was pretty weird,kind of disorienting stuff.

But nothing came close to the weirdness factor of this other stop motion animation which I only remember seeing once.It featured a circus clown who finds that after his act,as hes sitting down in his dressing room he can't wash off his clown makeup.It then shows him then going to a funeral with a scarf over his face,but the scarf slips and the mourners start laughing at his clown face.The final shot shows him swinging from a rope in the middle of the circus ring having hanged himself.It was one of the bleakest, most existensial things I've seen on tv.I've been trying for ages to find out what it was with no luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

darkdubh wrote: »
    The National Film Board Of Canada.

this was my favourite!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtI1pWkHto0

the cat came back!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cat_Came_Back_(1988_film)
    They actually used this for a hula hoop (crisps) ad some time ago too with different lyrics...

This is another great Film Board Of Canada animation that I saw a couple of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭One More Toy

I remember some thing similar on tg4 when it first launched, something like a ladybug messing around with well known paintings, anyone remember this?

Those 1960s Halas & Batchelor cartoons used to get shown a lot too,in particular Hamilton The Musical Elephant.

This is one I remember seeing a couple of times.This won an Oscar for best animation short.

• Advertisement

This is another one by Halas & Batchelor.For years,before Youtube came along,I had this mixed up in my head with the Kraftwerk Autobahn clip(which was also made by H&B).I think it was the floating human figures at the beginning and end and the big eye that had me confusing the two.

Advertisement