Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religion in junior infants

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

I think children would have a much more tolerant view of other religions if they were educated in aspects of all religions equally during religion class.

How much of the school year is spent teaching Catholicism during religion class?

In contrast, how much is spent learning about Islam, Judaism, Polytheism and the flying spaghetti monster?

My point is that the Catholic Church's monopoly on what gets taught in Irish classrooms is unfair.

I already stated I think it should be religious instruction about various faiths.

Schools can only do so much though!

I'd rather have more teachers, smaller class sizes, more SNAs than remove religion from schools! Priorities!

On paper, 2 and a half hours per week is allocated to religion.
    On paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Oh I don't know, I try to expose them to a variety of books in my library! ;)

Don't most Catholics realise the Bible isn't meant to be taken literally? It's more about various MESSAGES. That's what I understand anyway!

What age do you teach?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Don't most Catholics realise the Bible isn't meant to be taken literally? It's more about various MESSAGES. That's what I understand anyway!

Absolutely. And in my experience of both various churches and school, it's a series of parables or stories with a moral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

My other quite amusing one was "the blessing of the throats"

Anyone else have this?

An elderly nun arrived in and with two candles in a V shape held them against your throat to ward off evil spirits.

I took a fit of the giggles and got detention for blasphemy or something similar.

I guess it was a cheap alternative to the flu vaccine?!

School here was "an experience"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Depends on the sect.

My main issue is you not seeing the problem with children reciting prayers and thinking it's the same as learning a poem. It's something I've heard from other teachers too so it doesn't surprise me, but the lack of awareness of indoctrination compared to education is something that's shocking to see in those who teach children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,779 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Of course we do. That's what the Catechism is for. I'd never let that little factoid spoil a good rant though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

The Bible was absolutely meant to be taken 100% literally as a complete article of faith, life, the universe and everything. Until education came along and showed how ludicrous it is, then suddenly it was all parables.

lazygal wrote: »
    Depends on the sect.

My main issue is you not seeing the problem with children reciting prayers and thinking it's the same as learning a poem. It's something I've heard from other teachers too so it doesn't surprise me, but the lack of awareness of indoctrination compared to education is something that's shocking to see in those who teach children.

You are suggesting that I am 'indoctrinated' in my teaching & if I wasn't on holidays, I might even find that offensive, but I am not going to bite on this occasion :)

eviltwin wrote: »
    What age do you teach?

Currently 11 and 12 year olds.

The Bible was absolutely meant to be taken 100% literally as a complete article of faith, life, the universe and everything. Until education came along and showed how ludicrous it is, then suddenly it was all parables.

I guess you can't control other people's interpretations though.
    People will read what the want to read, hear what they want to hear, and absorb what they want to absorb.

Tolerance, and respect is key. I am Catholic on paper ,but I don't really attend Mass, I live with my boyfriend and we're not married, I accept homosexual people etc etc so I probably break many of the 'rules' but all any of us can or should do is try to be a good person.

Discussions are great, and I love arguing and debating points of view, but when insults are slipped in, that's when I lose interest.

I was reading the Ask Me Anything thread on boards recently with the Irish lady who is now Jewish. I found her submissions to the thread so interesting. Many of which wouldn't be for me and I read in wonder thinking 'how can she do that? Believe that?' etc but everyone on that thread treated her with respect. If only everyone had that ability to show respect and tolerance for others. And really with any religion, isn't that one of the main messages?!

• Advertisement

You are suggesting that I am 'indoctrinated' in my teaching & if I wasn't on holidays, I might even find that offensive, but I am not going to bite on this occasion :)

No, going on your posts your classroom time involves indoctrination. Which you see as no.different to children learning a poem.
    Indoctrination is the correct term for what faith formation in schools involves. I don't know why you'd find it offensive. There is a Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith after all.

Currently 11 and 12 year olds.

So what's the typical religion class consist of?

No, going on your posts your classroom time involves indoctrination. Which you see as no.different to children learning a poem.
    Indoctrination is the correct term for what faith formation in schools involves. I don't know why you'd find it offensive. There is a Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith after all.

I'd say if I clocked how much time I spent on religion this year, it probably wouldn't amount to much. I'm great at packing in weeks of 'lessons' into a few! ;)
    Perhaps I'm just extremely lucky in that the school I work in isn't overly religious! We are also lucky to have children of various faiths in all of our classrooms. I suppose a small West of Ireland school might expect different things.

What I do find quite sad about some of the posts I am reading here is the miserable experiences some posters have had with their own schooling, and this topic has sidetracked in parts from religion in Junior Infants to elements of their own schooling and the bitterness is quite obvious. It would be a pity for this to be passed on to their offspring.

Also,I've noticed the pro Educate Together schools comments. I think there's definitely a place for them, but reading some comments makes them sound as if they're the bee all and end all & I just don't agree.

We did a survey in our school (400+ pupils) about 3 years ago. It turns out more parents were in favour of keeping a uniform than not (70% if I remember correctly) Expensive crests are annoying, and maybe a few parents need to approach the school & share their worries as sometimes it can be overlooked and when nobody complains people think it must be okay!

The problem is I'm still hearing the same horror stories from relatives who are currently in school.

Each school and each classroom is different. The problem is the system still had some evangelising hardliners in the mix.

If you're unlucky enough to encounter one, your school days rapidly become very bad.

The issue is that education is a state service, partially outsourced.

Just imagine you went to your local library and they said, sorry those books are prioritised for Scientologists.

Then you went to book an appointment for your NCT and discovered all the appointments are also prioritised for Scientologists. But there is a Car Tests Together centre located just 80km away with a 2 year waiting list.

Then you call 999 but are told that's only for Scientologists and you need to call 666 and wait up to 6 months for a response.

See how ludicrous it looks when you change it to a more controversial religion that you're not a member of and when you apply similar policies to other state services we're not used to seeing in a religious context?

That's exactly how it feels for a non-Catholic in education system here.

I'd say if I clocked how much time I spent on religion this year, it probably wouldn't amount to much. I'm great at packing in weeks of 'lessons' into a few! ;)
    Perhaps I'm just extremely lucky in that the school I work in isn't overly religious! We are also lucky to have children of various faiths in all of our classrooms. I suppose a small West of Ireland school might expect different things.

So your school isn't abiding by Rule 68 and the curriculum criteria? What would typical indoctrination for the class you taught this year involve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

If only everyone had that ability to show respect and tolerance for others. And really with any religion, isn't that one of the main messages?!

Absolutely.

Interestingly however Christianity was born out of the old Jewish religion. Islam as well, is another Abrahamic religion and even Protestantism was born out of a lack of tolerance for the Catholic hierarchy.

Kind of ironic :)

SpaceTime wrote: »
    The problem is I'm still hearing the same horror stories from relatives who are currently in school.

Each school and each classroom is different. The problem is the system still had some evangelising hardliners in the mix.

If you're unlucky enough to encounter one, your school days rapidly become very bad.

The issue is that education is a state service, partially outsourced.

Just imagine you went to your local library and they said, sorry those books are prioritised for Scientologists.

Then you went to book an appointment for your NCT and discovered all the appointments are also prioritised for Scientologists. But there is a Car Tests Together centre located just 80km away with a 2 year waiting list.

Then you call 999 but are told that's only for Scientologists and you need to call 666 and wait up to 6 months for a response.

See how ludicrous it looks when you change it to a more controversial religion that you're not a member of and when you apply similar policies to other state services we're not used to seeing in a religious context?

I completely understand, but I don't hear much of a fuss being made to get religion removed from schools! Teachers have other priorities, like the smaller class sizes etc

I'd imagine if a proper RESPECTFUL campaign (not insulting those who do practise) was initiated it would have the support of majority of teachers. Believe it or not, many of us believe it has no place within our schools.

My suggestion of having school finish a half hour earlier, and use that half hour for the teaching of religion, is an option. I'm sure there are logistic issues but I haven't gotten that far thinking yet! :)

I completely understand, but I don't hear much of a fuss being made to get religion removed from schools! Teachers have other priorities, like the smaller class sizes etc

I'd imagine if a proper RESPECTFUL campaign (not insulting those who do practise) was initiated it would have the support of majority of teachers. Believe it or not, many of us believe it has no place within our schools.

My suggestion of having school finish a half hour earlier, and use that half hour for the teaching of religion, is an option. I'm sure there are logistic issues but I haven't gotten that far thinking yet! :)

With all due respect, teachers are amongst the most conservatively educated people on Ireland.

8 years in religious primary school.
    6 years in religious secondary school.
    3 to 4 years in religious teacher training college.
    Get job by impressing religious organisations
    Work rest of career in religious school.

I realise some younger teachers aren't so extreme but, there are plenty of older ones who are basically married lay nuns in terms of training and upbringing.

I'm not convinced that your average teachers' views and perspective are similar to the rest of us.

Obviously there are exceptions but it's one of the only remaining professions where you have to basically toe a religious line in most employment environments.

I mean for example, a friend of mine is teaching and makes a big effort to be seen at mass because it will impact her promotional prospects because the Parish has big influence over the BoM.

So what's the typical religion class consist of?

Not telling the children that they're going to hell for being gay anyway! :rolleyes:

Not telling the children that they're going to hell for being gay anyway! :rolleyes:

The Catholic position is that being gay is intrinsically disordered. Schools are well within their rights to.teach that if they are under Catholic patronage.

• Advertisement

SpaceTime wrote: »
    With all due respect, teachers' are amongst the most conservatively educated people on Ireland.

8 years in religious primary school.
    6 years in religious secondary school.
    3 to 4 years in religious teacher training college.
    Get job by impressing religious organisations
    Work rest of career in religious school.

I realise some younger teachers aren't so extreme but, there are plenty of older ones who are basically married lay nuns in terms of training and upbringing.

This is also true, except in many cases nowadays you have many teachers who do Post Grads and have worked in other sectors. But I do understand and agree to an extent with your point. I'm not particularly religious, I don't come from a religious family.

The Catholic position is that being gay is intrinsically disordered. Schools are well within their rights to.teach that if they are under Catholic patronage.

Find me one that does! :rolleyes:

What would you say if a student questioned you on it? How would you answer that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It covers more detailed Catholicism, the hierarchy, the workings of the church etc but covers other faiths too. Then there is the morality stuff, the discussions on abortion, homosexuality etc. I don't want my kids exposed to Catholic teaching on those issues.

I'd say stuff like that is taught with only the strict Catholic view in a minority of secondary schools, it certainly wasn't in mine even back in the 80s. And even so, kids don't take much notice of it at that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,779 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

No they aren't.

I do think though the issue is that because of that there's a culture in education here that doesn't understand there's a problem because they've no other perspective.

It also extends to politics which is actually very dominated by teachers because they're in an idea position to stand for office.

All I'm saying is the *average* educator here is probably a lot more religiously influenced and conservative than the majority of the population which may well explain the slow pace of change.

Find me one that does! :rolleyes:

So if the schools aren't teaching the children who are supposed to be receiving faith formation in Catholicism the doctrine why do teachers go along with it? Seems like they don't want to teach the doctrine and don't actually teach the doctrine, while at the same time comparing it to learning poetry. Why go along with this fiction?

What would you say if a student questioned you on it? How would you answer that?

I mentioned it in brief with my students around the referendum after they brought up the topic (I think it was on News 2Day) and I commented that we can't help who we fall in love with. They wanted to clarify what the referendum was, and I told them. They shrugged and continued with their lunch.

Children are very accepting.

It's generally their parents views and opinions that cause otherwise.

No they aren't.

Catholic schools aren't allowed.teach Catholic doctrine? That's news to me.

• Advertisement

Because of the way they're educated and the fear of change and inability to rock the boat / change the status quo.

Advertisement