Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop for parent

Options
  • 05-08-2015 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭

My mum saw a laptop advertised on tv last nite from Currys.ie:

Maybe a bit pricy or is that the price these days,

She's not on facebook or social media, but you never know as she's never been on one before, but sees everyone doing it.

Also saw one's for €299 in Tesco as well, pics below for specs:

Which is the preferred one, or maybe which will last the longest? or if there's any other's that are preferable.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭SteM

My mum saw a laptop advertised on tv last nite from Currys.ie:

Maybe a bit pricy or is that the price these days,

She's not on facebook or social media, but you never know as she's never been on one before, but sees everyone doing it.

Also saw one's for €299 in Tesco as well, pics below for specs:

Which is the preferred one, or maybe which will last the longest? or if there's any other's that are preferable.

Thanks.

What's she going to do with it? If it's just a bit of email, Web, Facebook then she'd get more use of of a tablet imo. Something that can sit on the coffee table and be picked up now and again like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linx-inch-Tablet-storage-Windows/dp/B00O636WGI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438814149&sr=8-1&keywords=windows+tablet+8+inch

My parents have a laptop and a tablet and use the tablet much more, the laptop hardly ever gets turned on anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

SteM wrote: »
    What's she going to do with it? If it's just a bit of email, Web, Facebook then she'd get more use of of a tablet imo. Something that can sit on the coffee table and be picked up now and again like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linx-inch-Tablet-storage-Windows/dp/B00O636WGI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438814149&sr=8-1&keywords=windows+tablet+8+inch

My parents have a laptop and a tablet and use the tablet much more, the laptop hardly ever gets turned on anymore.

Thanks for the reply, She thinks if she gets something worth the price, it'll last longer?
    The tablet can hold photos & take photos (i assume), my nephew won a tablet in a competition & should take that over to show her, as she's seen him with it, but maybe she thinks there's limitations with it?
    But i'll mention the recommendation to her.

Isn't there a tablet in Aldi/Lidl this week worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭SteM

Yeah, there are limitations with a tablet but there are also benefits. The battery life on a tablet will generally be longer than a laptop. The screen size on a laptop will be bigger than a tablet but most laptops are very heavy and not ultra portable.

Like I say, it all depends on what she'll use it for.

Advertisement