Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Maintenance from the US

• 05-08-2015 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I've just sent off forms to maintenance recovery today my son's dad lives in New York with his wife and and has never seen him. I'd love to hear some success stories I know will be long process but just to give me hope!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Faye560 wrote:
    I've just sent off forms to maintenance recovery today my son's dad lives in New York with his wife and and has never seen him. I'd love to hear some success stories I know will be long process but just to give me hope!!

Are you employed at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Faye560

ComfortKid wrote: »

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Jotunheim

What has that got to do with the OP's question?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Jotunheim wrote:
    What has that got to do with the OP's question?

Because if she was unemployed and on single parents, what ever amount the father gives her would be deducted from her Single parent payment, so it wouldn't really be worth her time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Jotunheim

Because if she was unemployed and on single parents, what ever amount the father gives her would be deducted from her Single parent payment, so it wouldn't really be worth her time.

That's very inaccurate and misleading and really has no place here. Income from maintenance is assessed as means as part of an overall formula, not simply deducted. Apart from the fact that it doesn't apply to the OP and isn't the advice or information she's seeking, it's a bit off to go passing out that kind of disinformation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Course it would still be worth her time. Both parents should be financially responsible for the child.

Hi he's never given any money just want to see has anyone been through this process is it effective?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

No always the way. My friends ex pays her 50pw and she has told me 30e is deducted from her payment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

mod note
    ComfortKid & jotunheim, PI is not the place for off topic discussions. Please take that conversation elsewhere. Also if you can't be civil in your posting you'll soon find PI isn't for you.

Posts deleted.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Yes, I know of people who took a case though the american system, testified to the US court by telephone, and the maintenence was deducted from his wages. Treoir was very useful. Ireland and the US have some sort of legal agreement on this.

But iirc the amount of paperwork to get the process going was incredible - but worth doing. Maintenence continues to the age of 21 in the US as far as I know. Anyway, the process was really difficult in the beginning, and I think was done through the US embassy, but worth it.

• Advertisement

Thanks I just sent everything off to maintenance recovery this week . I'd love if his Dad would meet him and my son knew him it's been so long now 8 years.

Advertisement