Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for puppy in Galway

• 05-08-2015 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭

Was just wondering what other peoples experience with donedeal and the like was as they seem to have a wide variety of pups or (if its full of puppy mills) whether they know any reputable breeders in the Galway area.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Mod note: This thread has been split away from another thread.

OP, can you let us know what sort of puppy you're looking for?
    Thanks!
    DBB

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 227 ✭✭Dubs1990

If you do not have a certain breed in mind , head down to your local pound , plenty of dogs needing homes , stay away from donedeal mainly people just wanting to make a quick few quid , there making up dog breeds when it's just a mongral ! If you want to go down the breeder route for a pedigree , yes you will pay for the pup but the relavent health checks will be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

<snip> have lots of dogs looking for a new home, suggested donation is €150 which covers vaccination, spaying, micro chipping etc.

Mod note: Sorry zero19, we can't allow links to individual rescues in this forum.. by all means pass on any recommendations by PM if the OP confirms that they're interested in investigating rescue dogs.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Dubs1990 wrote: »
    If you do not have a certain breed in mind , head down to your local pound , plenty of dogs needing homes , stay away from donedeal mainly people just wanting to make a quick few quid , there making up dog breeds when it's just a mongral ! If you want to go down the breeder route for a pedigree , yes you will pay for the pup but the relavent health checks will be done.

Not necessarily unfortunately, not all breeders of registered dogs do the health checks. OP, if it is a particular breed that you want, contact the breed club for breeders, and ask to see all paperwork for the genetic health tests recommended for that breed, don't just believe if someone tells you they've done the tests.

There are also pedigree dogs that end up in rescue, the breed clubs sometimes run a welfare scheme, taking in unwanted dogs, and there are various breed specific rescues around the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Noticed on facebook that one of the rescues in Galway has some really cute puppies at the minute, so could be worth having a look at them, if there's no specific breed you're looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

I have been looking at a number of breeds, largely small ones as I have a small garden. The ones I'm the most interested in are Jack Russell, Cavalier King Charles, terriers- Yorkshire, Westie. I know its a bit of a list but I've seen some mixes of the above which I liked but I've had trouble narrowing it down due to the worry over potential health issues but a good breeder or a shelter might have healthier lines. So I wanted to see what was available in the area as that would narrow it further (reputable breeders etc). I love Jack Russells, King Charles and terriers and have experience with terriers, red setters, sheepdogs and a golden retriever. I'm mostly looking for a pet, I can take on walks, cuddle up with, play with and who won't turn out to have a severe heart problem or hip dysplasia.

moonflower wrote: »
    Noticed on facebook that one of the rescues in Galway has some really cute puppies at the minute, so could be worth having a look at them, if there's no specific breed you're looking for.

I took a look on facebook and found a number of pages, the cat and pet rescue seem to mainly have kittens but <snip> and the <snip> seem to have some puppies. Is the collies the ones you were talking about because I wouldn't have enough room for fostering 4 puppies and their mum and it would be quite heartrending to give them away then.

Mod note: please don't discuss individual rescues.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Sorry. Its not that I'm against rescues I'm more used to breeders and a rescue mightn't have what I want or may run out of puppies very quickly. Feel free to PM me a good rescue that does puppies or a breeder of small dogs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Reputable breeders run out of quality pups very quick too. Some even have waiting lists for litters that haven't even been conceived yet.

For the record, garden size has absolutely no bearing on the size of dog. You will still need to walk it very regularly (especially since some of the breeds you mentioned are quite energetic and can get VERY noisy if not exercised enough) and a run in the garden will never be enough.
    Not putting down a choice of breeder versus rescue, but your reasons apply to breeders too. They might not have what you want and could easily sell their puppies very quickly. Also, all the health checks and strong breeding in the world will not prevent freak genetic accidents. Some dogs develop issues, so you need to be aware of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

nicki11 wrote: »
    I have been looking at a number of breeds, largely small ones as I have a small garden. The ones I'm the most interested in are Jack Russell, Cavalier King Charles, terriers- Yorkshire, Westie. I know its a bit of a list but I've seen some mixes of the above which I liked but I've had trouble narrowing it down due to the worry over potential health issues but a good breeder or a shelter might have healthier lines. So I wanted to see what was available in the area as that would narrow it further (reputable breeders etc). I love Jack Russells, King Charles and terriers and have experience with terriers, red setters, sheepdogs and a golden retriever. I'm mostly looking for a pet, I can take on walks, cuddle up with, play with and who won't turn out to have a severe heart problem or hip dysplasia.

If you're not sure what breed you want then I'd advise talking to a rescue. The breeds you've mentioned have very different temperaments and needs. Think about how much exercise you're willing to do, how much grooming, what kind of budget you have for food, and talk to a rescue about what they can recommend. And don't rush into anything, you'll find the right dog at the right time. Going for one because it's cute or available can lead to heartache in the long run.

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Reputable breeders run out of quality pups very quick too. Some even have waiting lists for litters that haven't even been conceived yet.

For the record, garden size has absolutely no bearing on the size of dog. You will still need to walk it very regularly (especially since some of the breeds you mentioned are quite energetic and can get VERY noisy if not exercised enough) and a run in the garden will never be enough.
    Not putting down a choice of breeder versus rescue, but your reasons apply to breeders too. They might not have what you want and could easily sell their puppies very quickly. Also, all the health checks and strong breeding in the world will not prevent freak genetic accidents. Some dogs develop issues, so you need to be aware of that.

I mentioned the garden as some forms seem to want you to have one. I'd prefer a small dog and genetic issues are a problem particularly with king charles spaniels and I was wondering if anyone new a rescue or breeder had screened for congenital disorders (heart issues in KC Spaniels can be deadly and are a known defect) if he got sick I'd take care of him and while I can afford the usual costs and the occassional emergency I can't afford to take care of a permanently ill dog. It is a financial issue because any dog I have I will love and take care of but I have to be sensible in this regard because if he got deathly ill in a year or two and I had to pay for surgeries and medicine for years until he died I would be in severe debt and not have enough to live on. If I can find a breeder or rescue that has ruled out all severe congenital defects and he still gets sick with arthirits or cataracts when hes old I won't mind because the amount of years he was healthy and happy will exceed the amount of years he was unhealthy and miserable.
    kylith wrote: »
    If you're not sure what breed you want then I'd advise talking to a rescue. The breeds you've mentioned have very different temperaments and needs. Think about how much exercise you're willing to do, how much grooming, what kind of budget you have for food, and talk to a rescue about what they can recommend. And don't rush into anything, you'll find the right dog at the right time. Going for one because it's cute or available can lead to heartache in the long run.

I don't mind waiting for the right dog and will be able to take him on long walks twice a day and short ones if I'm busy in the park nearby, he will also have a garden for when I'm at work but between my schedule and my OH's he'd only be alone for 3-4 hours a day as one of us will be around. I don't mind grooming the dog within reason, I will brush him down everyday but I'm not into poodles and the like which need a groomer to manage them (or at least my aunts poodle does). I can afford anything he may need but as above I'm not wealthy enough to handle a chronically ill dog.

• Advertisement

Was looking into rescue dog procedure and they do a home study, will they have any problems with me living in a third floor apartment. I have a garden area which is the (enclosed) second floors roof and live next to a number of parks. I don't know if that will be a problem if anyone's been in a similar situation I'd appreciate the advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Was looking into rescue dog procedure and they do a home study, will they have any problems with me living in a third floor apartment. I have a garden area which is the (enclosed) second floors roof and live next to a number of parks. I don't know if that will be a problem if anyone's been in a similar situation I'd appreciate the advice

Not all of them will, but it will be a right pain in the behind trying to house-train a puppy if you have to bring them to the second floor garden every hour and through the night :o

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Not all of them will, but it will be a right pain in the behind trying to house-train a puppy if you have to bring them to the second floor garden every hour and through the night :o

Ooops sorry phrasing, I meant I go out my backdoor and I'm ON the second floors roof and it is an enclosed garden with 5 foot walls. So its perfectly safe and conveinent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Usually not once sufficient arrangements are made for the dog to get out and you have a letter from the management company to say that dogs are allowed in your complex.

Great thanks. I've been looking at dogs (rescues mainly) and was talking to my mother and was wondering was I wrong to eliminate medium dog breeds just because I live in an apartment. My mum was wondering why I was thinking of small dogs when I had more experience with medium ones and she'd always pictured me with a golden retriever again or a red setter like my granny (definitely not a mastiff like my aunt though). I just thought am I only ruling them out because of their size because as I read more about different breeds, small size didn't mean they should really be suited to apartment living. For example most dogs get lonely but little dogs like Pomeranian are quite needy and could cause issues with my neighbors with their yappiness and aggression towards strangers.

The research has if anything has led me to feel less sure of what breed I should go with as it can be a good indicator of behavior and I want a dog who will be happy living in an apartment, going out to the garden when the weathers good, likes a long walk and a cuddle and will be okay alone for a couple of hours during the week. I still like the idea of a Jack Russell but should I consider a medium dog due to their temperament too or is an apartment too big for a golden retriever or something. I've also been considering it as alot of the dogs I've been seeing at rescues etc. are medium sized or are small types like Chihuahuas I've already ruled out (due to temperament largely).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Have you considered a sight hound?
    Greyhound or some sort of lurcher or mix. They are great cuddlers, sleep a lot, and are quiet dogs, once they get a walk a couple of times a day.
    Not all are big dogs, there is the most gorgeous saluki x grey near here that isn't that much bigger than my medium size dog, and she's such a pet. I've met a few and all have had a lovely nature. Pups sometimes show up in rescue, many older ones (a year or so) show up too.

mymo wrote: »
    Have you considered a sight hound?
    Greyhound or some sort of lurcher or mix. They are great cuddlers, sleep a lot, and are quiet dogs, once they get a walk a couple of times a day.
    Not all are big dogs, there is the most gorgeous saluki x grey near here that isn't that much bigger than my medium size dog, and she's such a pet. I've met a few and all have had a lovely nature. Pups sometimes show up in rescue, many older ones (a year or so) show up too.

Thanks, I'll do some research and post back my findings, I find boards and other sites very handy as I can get advice from people who've had that type for instance and figure out if its a good fit for me. One thread I read was about springer spaniels and how they need lots of walks and stimuli and it made me realize they aren't for me as I like a walk but I couldn't take them for a two hour long walk everyday and play with them like I'd want to as I wouldn't have the time. I just want to make sure I get the right dog for me, as it wouldn't be fair to the dog if it didn't work out and I couldn't do that and may end up miserable with a high maintenance dog destroying my home which wouldn't be fair to either of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

There are a few sight hound owners on here, hopefully someone will comment, or start a thread asking about them?

Actually there's probably one here already, try a search?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Pac2015

<snip> are brilliant and have all sorts of breeds plus you have the back up of rescue

Yeah my OH and I have talked about it and decided to get a puppy after Christmas as we'd just have him settled and Christmas traveling would be awkward (my last pup threw up after a half hour drive never mind visiting relatives over the country). So I will check rescues after Christmas and see what they have and just do research until then. Thank you very much I appreciate all the advice. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement