Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to teach English abroad but worried about shyness

• 06-08-2015 6:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

It's something I've dreamed of doing ever since I fell in love with Asia - teaching English there. It combines a career I've always thought about and my love of travel but there is one major problem; shyness. I mean shyness so bad that I skipped presentations in college and felt adrenaline rushes when my name was roll called. Probably stems from my childhood but for some reason I've never shook it off.

Can I just get up and teach English? I've no idea if these things get better with exposure but the more I put this off, the unhappier im getting with my life. I hastily booked a flight to Australia recently as im in possession of a holiday visa that allows me to work, but after landing here I instantly got the feeling that I miss Asia and that i'm destined to live there long term. Any thoughts? Also, after landing in Australia would it be stupid to leave quickly? It just doesn't feel right here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Are you infinitely wealthy or is money a concern?

If money is a concern then spend some time working on your shyness while working a different job. I'm sure there are tons of books etc to help. Then do a CELTA course or some other teaching course that actually puts you in front of students. I know that English language teaching in Asia is seen as a bit of joke but it is still a real job. It's pretty messed up when people rob kids of a decent chance at learning English because of their travel dreams and take advantage of the fact that many Asian countries don't have any choice but to hire anybody willing to go.

Unless you get a job teaching adults, it's more likely you'll be teaching kids. As an English teacher in Asia, I can tell you that the students will eat you alive if you are shy. Bosses will take advantage of the fact that you don't stand up for yourself and you'll have a hard time making expat friends (necessary to stay sane and maintain your own English language skills).

Now in reality, you don't have to do anything that I said. There are plenty of English teachers in Asia who have problems carrying on a normal conversation and they see Asia as a haven because they go unnoticed. They teach poorly, usually, and still get paid.

It's up to you. Personally, I would recommend working on your shyness and then getting some sort of qualification in the job you want to do.

If money isn't a concern, try volunteer teaching. It might help you build your confidence before taking the leap. If it's really your dream then you need to work towards it.

One tip I can give you if you do decide to go for it is to develop a 'teaching persona' and think of it like acting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I understand what you're saying. I don't want to go and teach and do a cr*p job of it, I'd be willing to give it a good go and do a TEFL course (I don't have money for a CELTA right now). If I was good at the job then I'd use some savings to do a CELTA as i'd most likely want to continue it if I was good at it. My question is pretty much whether or not the shyness can be overcome in a classroom setting? I've heard of people who are fairly shy but as you say they can put on a persona in the classroom. My commitment to wanting to be a good teacher is not in doubt. I just wonder if my shyness would get in the way of it that much. I've avoided situations like this my whole life and it has limited me for too long - maybe time to grow a pair and just do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

With regard to your comment about getting "eaten alive" if im shy, is this true across all of Asia? I had planned to go to Vietnam and a brief google of forum posts suggests Vietnamese children are very pleasant to teach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Jotunheim

I mean shyness so bad that I skipped presentations in college and felt adrenaline rushes when my name was roll called.

You know that level of shyness is not uncommon, right? You're describing it like it was a crippling phobia, but the level you describe there is actually pretty normal, lots of people avoid college and professional presentations, or parties, or family gatherings, or dates, or whatever happens to be their kryptonite. They manage that while getting on with otherwise happy lives. I don't want to dismiss your issue, I'm just saying you shouldn't see it as some insurmountable obstacle, because it is very far from that. You're applying for visas and booking flights and actually doing things, compared to many others who will only talk about those things, you're already ahead of the game.

The steps suggested above might help you, but they should help you to achieve what is a very attainable goal, it's not some ridiculous dream reserved for others and forbidden to you. Once you've screwed your courage to the sticking place, go for it, it will be a great experience for you and, I suspect, the making of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

don't let being shy stop you from what you want to do. by all means spend some time in Oz if you are able to work there and need to save some money but if you really believe that you'd love being in Asia long term then work towards that goal. btw, after a bit of teaching english to students the shyness will slip away. and it's a nice quality in people btw.

good luck

• Advertisement
  • Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Mod:

OP, as this relates to moreso to TEFL, I'm moving your thread to that forum to avail of advice from people who have done this.

You may need to register an account in order to continue posting for that forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

With regard to your comment about getting "eaten alive" if im shy, is this true across all of Asia? I had planned to go to Vietnam and a brief google of forum posts suggests Vietnamese children are very pleasant to teach.

I personally haven't taught in Vietnam but I've heard a lot of the kids are spoilt rich kids and can be hard to handle. However, as I say, I haven't personally taught them.

You should try to talk to somebody who has taught kids there. However, I think in Vietnam you have a good shot at teaching adults if you have a CELTA. That's what I've heard anyway.

The problem is that every single child in the world tests your boundaries when they first encounter you. If you don't push back, you end up with an awful mess.

Can shyness be overcome? Yes, absolutely. I was a very shy teenager but made the effort not to be at a certain point and just worked on it so of course you can do it. You know you're holding yourself back. What helped me was to think of everyday as a new day to improve. Do something more than the day before.

If you think that you don't know how to do it, I'm sure there are books or even online help that will give you tips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I honestly don't think that learning to overcome your shyness in a classroom situation is the way to go.

Think about it - aside from being shy, you are in a new culture, with new social norms, different power structures and a (relatively) steep learning curve.

The way to do it is to undertake some form of teacher training course, such as a train-the-trainer, or, if you want to get serious about it, the Post Grad Diploma in Education.

As others have said, though, shyness can be overcome. I was what can only be described as a basket case in my teens. Now that I am, erm, somewhat older, I have no problem standing up in front of 10, 100 or 500 people (as I have done on many occasions).

• Registered Users Posts: 5 txm

Do a few experiments first.
    Go to a town where nobody knows you.
    Then do 3 public presentations there. Try to improve yourself each time.

It doesn't matter really what it is, public speech, school presentation, whatever. As long as it is your greatest fear. Try grab the bull by the horns. Eventually you will get good at it. Once you overcome it, you are likely to find yourselv REALLY good at it. Sometimes the only way to really know how strong you are is by putting yourself in a situation where you have no choice but to be strong.

Advertisement