Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10 BITS

Options
  • 06-08-2015 7:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭

I want to turn BITS off as it's constantly using data. Control Panel has changed in Windows 10 & I can't find the setting. Can anyone help ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Isn't BITS a service that windows update relies on to function? Since updates are forced in windows 10, I imagine you may have difficulty turning it off. I could be wrong.

Perhaps start by checking the list of services and see if you can turn it off there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

d31b0y wrote: »
    Isn't BITS a service that windows update relies on to function? Since updates are forced in windows 10, I imagine you may have difficulty turning it off. I could be wrong.

Perhaps start by checking the list of services and see if you can turn it off there.

This is what was posted on a microsoft forum:

Go to Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services - search for BITS and Stop the service by right clicking on it then click on stop. Also in the properties of this service select manual or disable.

Where do I find Services in Windows 10 ?

I have a traffic monitor running & it's surprising how much data it's using. I will turn it on periodically to check for updates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

It's in exactly the same place as it was in 8. Click start, type services.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

You can launch the services window from the run command (win key + r) or start menu.
    Just type services.msc and hit ok

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Thanks lads I have found it.

Btw My internet speed has increased without it running

• Advertisement
Advertisement