Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best budget Bridge camera?

• 06-08-2015 8:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

So we've been looking at these three cheap bridge cameras, each one has strengths & weaknesses, but which would you recommend and which would you advise to steer clear of?

Not wanting to be a professional, just family snaps, landscapes, holiday pics, air shows, and our kids playing in all weathers + indoors ...

We have read all the online reviews, but most of them are from Britain or the US where the choice is so much bigger than here in Ireland, so with this in mind, what bridge would you recommend for under €150 (in an Irish context) Inc delivery.

Fujifilm Finepix S8650
    Nikon Coolpix L330
    Polaroid IE 4038

Other?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

One hundred 'views' and counting . . . .

Would love a reply/help, as I want to make my purchase this weekend :(

Anybody?

1st time to buy a bridge camera, so I need some advice - please.

Many thanks for that aujopimur but I'm going to go for one of the latest 2014/15 crop!
    Brand spanking new and sealed in a box, off the shelf If you know what I mean . . . .

Thanks for the offer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Keggy

LordSutch wrote: »
    So we've been looking at these three cheap bridge cameras, each one has strengths & weaknesses, but which would you recommend and which would you advise to steer clear of?

Not wanting to be a professional, just family snaps, landscapes, holiday pics, air shows, and our kids playing in all weathers + indoors ...

We have read all the online reviews, but most of them are from Britain or the US where the choice is so much bigger than here in Ireland, so with this in mind, what bridge would you recommend for under €150 (in an Irish context) Inc delivery.

Fujifilm Finepix S8650
    Nikon Coolpix L330
    Polaroid IE 4038

Other?

Have you considered the Panasonic fz200?

I was in the same position as you a few months ago and decided to go for the Panasonic after deliberating and I absolutely love it. Great image quality, good battery life, brilliant range on the lens and really natural images.

Around 499.

One well worth considering if you haven't bought already.

Check out conns or berminghans.

Atb

Keggy

Don't forget that my budget only extends to €150.

That Panasonic FZ-200 is €500, and beautiful and all as it is, it's a bridge too far (excuse the pun) :)

• Advertisement

With a budget of 150 I would save up and get something better as budget bridge cameras are not great in my experience.

Anything less than the likes of the fz72 at around 330 euro is pretty average in my opinion and you would be better off looking at a good compact.

Atb

Keggy

LordSutch wrote: »
    Don't forget that my budget only extends to €150.

That Panasonic FZ-200 is €500, and beautiful and all as it is, it's a bridge too far (excuse the pun) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

A decent deal but not a great lens for portraits given the wide angle. More designed for landscapes and with a 3/5 review in amateur photographer, I wouldn't jump at it given their criticisms.

PentaX aren't really doing anything special and are more for the old school photographer. That's why I went for a Panasonic as they are innovative and won best photography brand 2013 & 2014.in which magazine.

PentaX does fit the budget though.

Keggy

It's just above your price range but this might be....

Borrowed a Fujifilm Finepix S8650 at the weekend and I was very impressed, apart from a tiny thin red line which showed up each print on my laptop (new thread dedicated to this)*.

The Fuji is very small for a bridge camera, it not too heavy, it seems solid to me, and the pictures seem very detailed, apart from that "red line" issue I've raised in a new thread.

Currently the Fujifilm is €119 online from Curry's (white), or red/black, for twenty euro more!

Actually the one I'm borrowing is an S8600, so I don't know of that's any different. Looks the same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

It is really hard for many here to make recommendations as the features on a bridge camera which would be critical to a dedicated photographer may well be things which you would not consider important at all.

As an example I would not buy a camera which did not record RAW files. You may never set it in RAW mode and it would not be an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Considering investing in a bridge camera, mainly for nature / wildlife photography but which would also let me do some macro / close up photography, plants, insects etc. I don't really want to go for a SLR with interchangeable lens etc because of cost and the hassle of lugging kit around.
    In reading wildlife blogs and related photography stuff, some of it a bit dated now, a camera that seemed to get a lot of kudos was the Panasonic LUMIX FZ200, mainly because of a "constant f2.8 aperture" which, not being techie minded, doesn't mean anything to me. My question - is this camera still best value around for my budget (in or about €400) for what I need, or is there better / newer models out there ?
    Any advice comment welcome

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The FZ200 is quite an old model now, it seems to have be superseded by the FZ300.

DP Review has a roundup of the best of the 2015 cameras in that class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭killym

In my opinion...Get cheap pentax like k10d, You can get plenty of cheap lenses such as 50mm 1.7, shoot raw play around.
    I woudn't buy a new budget camera for like 200e...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

CabanSail wrote: »
    The FZ200 is quite an old model now, it seems to have be superseded by the FZ300.

the FZ200 is still a great model though and at under 300 now is very good value for a really good bridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

CabanSail wrote: »

the FZ200 is still a great model though and at under 300 now is very good value for a really good bridge

Yeah, I read reviews of it from a year ago and seemed to be the bridge camera to beat then, having regard to its price and quality etc and was recommended for anyone not wanting to go for the high end SLR kit. Prices online still around the 350 mark, but much reduced on earlier cost all the same. Where did you see it for under 300 Shrapnel, you can pm me on that if you wish. Thanks !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Yeah, I read reviews of it from a year ago and seemed to be the bridge camera to beat then, having regard to its price and quality etc and was recommended for anyone not wanting to go for the high end SLR kit. Prices online still around the 350 mark, but much reduced on earlier cost all the same. Where did you see it for under 300 Shrapnel, you can pm me on that if you wish. Thanks !

i saw it on the panasonic site for 350 but they currently have cashback offers on a lot of their stuff and for the FZ200 you get 50 back

https://www.panasonicstore.ie/product/bridge-cameras/dmc-fz200eb-lumix-digital-camera/

Advertisement